Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why cant Palm/Verizon/Sprint just make a commercial showing the power and beauty of web-os without creeping anybody out (sprint's pale lady) or targeting your mom (verizon). Yes, moms are a great audience to target, but exclusively?? Just make a commercial advertising to everybody, make it modern, and keep it simple. Does this bother anybody else?

sorry for the rant, just had to get it out
    Well it does have a mirror in the back. Maybe verizon just assumed it was for chicks.
    It's just an example of Verizon throwing their weight around. They know more guys are likely to complain, do stupid things to the phone that cause problems, and then return the phones without batting an eyelash. Women, on the other hand, are often more ethical and less likely to make waves. Verizon seems to have bought into this prejudice and they're foisting it upon their sales people in the stores. The sales people go along with the implicit company line in order to keep their jobs. Kind of sad, but just another reason to think twice about the big V.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4.    #4  
    Well, i think Verizon needs to atleast make a more general commercial for the pre...I think that is what they should have done in the first place, and then started targeting your mother after. Jumping straight to all these mother commercials, they are going to lose out on a huge younger audience who now asssume that the Pre is something "boring" or "uncool" that your mother uses. I know I wouldn't consider buying the "MOMPhone" over say a Droid if i was walking into Verizon knowing nothing about WebOS other than those commercials.
    I believe VZ is capitalizing on the Valentines day which is around the corner, but showing palm pre as "MOMPhone" is not doing it justice.
    marketing for the palm pre is pathetic at best.

if pre had marketing as good as droid, it would be way more popular.
    I think that moms are the first target since Valentine's Day is coming. After that Verizon will target a different group of users.
    Palm has hired morons for their marketing dept. I would spend more money on an agency who can come up with kick *** marketing campaign than kissing ***** of telecom providers like Verizon or Sprint.

Even Sprint is doing the same ****. Why not hire a really good marketing agency to come up with the best commercial so that Verizon and AT&T don't give a crap everyday.

Apple who doesn't have a multitasking phone still sells more iPhones than our webOS which is the best smartphone with multitasking. I hate every time I see a commercial that doesn't show our webOS's full potential. Either the people who make this commercials are dumb or they don't love the webOS.
    Let's stop bashing verizon for the mom ads. They have clearly seen an enormous demographic where they can promote smartphones without having to compete with droid. Verizon is no dummy with marketing. These things are tested pretty thoroughly for the desired effect before unleashing on the public. Sometimes the response is a surprise [anybody remember New Coke - although I'm still not convinced that was entirely a mistake], but normally they have done enough research to know what they are going to get.

Just look at all the chatter the campaign has generated, even if some of it is angst. More chatter usually translates into more sales - more sales translates into more support, more updates, more apps, more proliferation - and we all come out ahead. I too would like to see some more general promotion, but for now if getting a "mom" phone costs you some testosterone - then as I have said before - just get in touch with your feminine side and get a pre.
  10.    #10  
    In no way am i trying to bash verizon's marketing campaign, just trying to point out that maybe a more general Pre Plus commercial could have came before all of these "mom" ones...in order to keep the phone from being seen as only a "mom" type of phone. The advertising sure wasnt up to snuff with Sprint, I guess i just expected a little more from Verizon
    verizon took the mom route with the pre most likely because it took the "manly" route for the droid and they dont want competition within their own phones
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    Just look at all the chatter the campaign has generated, even if some of it is angst. More chatter usually translates into more sales - more sales translates into more support, more updates, more apps, more proliferation - and we all come out ahead.
    Yeah, I remember hearing this sometime before.....oh yeah. It was the defense to the Tamara Hope Pre ads which "got people talking" and "translated" into more sales too...

...Except that they didn't.

To echo the OP, why can't Palm simply take 30 seconds to show off how great the OS is?

The two non-Blackberry sales leaders right now are Droid and iPhone 3GS. Their commercials spend almost all of the 30 seconds showing the devices in closeup and talking about their unique assets.

You'd figure Palm would want to emulate that. Guess not. What wacky and esoteric concepts will we see next?
    Quote Originally Posted by axler464 View Post
    Why cant Palm/Verizon/Sprint just make a commercial showing the power and beauty of web-os without creeping anybody out (sprint's pale lady) or targeting your mom (verizon). Yes, moms are a great audience to target, but exclusively?? Just make a commercial advertising to everybody, make it modern, and keep it simple. Does this bother anybody else?

sorry for the rant, just had to get it out
    If we are lucky, the mom thing is just part of a bigger campaign. Mother's day and Valentine's day are coming up, and that is what those two ads seem to focus on. Perhaps we'll get something more broad and specific to the unique WebOS features in upcoming months.

Just a thought.
    Meh. Moms with Pres == MILFs with pres, who might be impressed and grateful at how much cool you can bring to them and their new toy. You guys just aren't seeing the opportunities here!

Sorry ladies. I am the nerd that I am, and apparently still single for a reason :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Meh. Moms with Pres == MILFs with pres, who might be impressed and grateful at how much cool you can bring to them and their new toy. You guys just aren't seeing the opportunities here!

Sorry ladies. I am the nerd that I am, and apparently still single for a reason :-)
    Hey dude, I mentioned the MILF factor last week when the commercials premiered but no one on this forum looked at things from the perspective you and me are coming from.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Sry to say but sprint also aimed this phone at moms, just saw a commercial with a mom holding a Pre (Had seen it before, about 5 months ago, but hadn't paid attention) So, I'm thinking Verizon followed suit.

Motorola KRZR > Palm Centro > Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre
    I think palm would benefit more if they took the videos on the webpage (same ones in their video app), and released them as a commercial series. They are short, and yet they actually show the phone's capabilities. But I guess it's possible that they hope people will see the mediocre commercials and visit the website to learn more without actually buying the air time.
    axler, let me ask you this ... how did you hear about the Pre to buy one? It just seems strange that all these people who have already bought the Pre are complaining about how it is being marketed.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    We all know it's a capable phone... it's just the timing of release, which is close to Valentine's day so heck why not?
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    the tags on this thread is funny btw lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast