Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by axler464 View Post
    Why cant Palm/Verizon/Sprint just make a commercial showing the power and beauty of web-os without creeping anybody out (sprint's pale lady) or targeting your mom (verizon). Yes, moms are a great audience to target, but exclusively?? Just make a commercial advertising to everybody, make it modern, and keep it simple. Does this bother anybody else?

sorry for the rant, just had to get it out
    Why? To simply put I think its an effective ad campaign. The phone itself may not be directly targeted towards women but Verizon may have some sort of statistics/analytics that show the Pre/Pixi has been successful in a certain demographics and they're targeting that.

Just a guess. Never understand why things like this upset people.. it's just a phone. Nothing more should matter than whether it appeals to you and satisfies your needs/desires.

And truthfully, I can't find anything "groundbreaking" worth advertising on WebOS. It's a great mobile OS but compared to Android and others in its current state it is definitely lacking. Maybe we'll see a stronger marketing campaign when it's on a level playing ground.
  2.    #22  
    axler, let me ask you this ... how did you hear about the Pre to buy one? It just seems strange that all these people who have already bought the Pre are complaining about how it is being marketed.

well, seeing as how the amount of people/the kind of people who buy this phone will have significant effects on palms profit, the future of the company, the future of the operating system, software updates, apps, etc... I think it absolutely matters how it is being marketed...and to repeat myself again I think its great their marketing to moms, just not only to moms...
    lol

In the end it will be looked at as a phone for moms. Doesnt matter if Valentines around the corner. Come March it will stil be looked at as the mom phone from verizon. From a business standpoint taking your product and aiming directly at only one demographic is not a smart money making decision. If Verizon chose this route they have theyre reasons which does not include getting as many devices out there.

Like someone else mentioned since the droid was a sort of brute in your face marketing ploy it will appeal more to men. From verizons standpoint they need a device to appeal to women. In the end this will definately help Verizon in selling a broad amount of units. It will not help Palm in Pre sales.

On a side note the best commercial was Sprints Pixi comercial with the strange squeaky background music. It actually showed what webos was.

On a second side note the calendar app on webos is not as usefull as it was on palmos, and that seems to be the biggest announced feature
    Fine. If they want to target moms, do it in a subtle way. That's too direct. Many moms don't want to be reminded via "funny" commercial spots on the way things used to be. Plus it sends the other demographics running in the other direction.

Would you run commercials like this if targeting mom? Show mom how this would be useful & fun. I know many women prefer the centro type keyboard over a virtual one. The messaging app with built in aol and google talk is unique. Notifications of new emails is nice. The browser is outstanding and one of the best. These are the things that need highlighted.
    <deep breath> <grunt> <gasp>...Thought I could, but I can't. Just don't care.
    Like i said before, last time i checked, mom's didn't drive the cellphone market. I just don't see moms rushing to stores to buy cellphones...

this ad campain sucks.....
    Last edited by 05typesdc5; 02/09/2010 at 10:42 AM.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    The ads suck. terrible. poorly thought out. Plain and simple.

We can debate wether or not it's the right target market all day long but the bottom line is that the Droid's commercials were cool, intriguing, memorable and actually showed what the Droid DOES.

Palm's commercials were the worst for a phone i've seen yet. i say this because i was waiting for something else besides the pale girl and it never came. the sprint commercials try too hard to be "cool" and completely gloss over the phone's capabilties.

A fail on palm + sprint +verizon
    I would have just went after the iphone in spoof ads. Why? Because its "cool" to go against them. See engadget's meltdown as exhibit A as they took down the board for a few days with all the anti-apple people tired of their ridiculous iPad coverage.

If i'm Palm, i want to be married to apple. When people bring up apple, i'd want to be the "other" guy. That means you nail em every chance you get. Hit em hard where Apple is weak. Even android and windows fans would root for palm then.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I would have just went after the iphone in spoof ads. Why? Because its "cool" to go against them. See engadget's meltdown as exhibit A as they took down the board for a few days with all the anti-apple people tired of their ridiculous iPad coverage.

If i'm Palm, i want to be married to apple. When people bring up apple, i'd want to be the "other" guy. That means you nail em every chance you get. Hit em hard where Apple is weak. Even android and windows fans would root for palm then.
    indeed. they should have been Apple's david. instead they run commercials about a pale girl and market to moms....
    Quote Originally Posted by axler464 View Post
    Why cant Palm/Verizon/Sprint just make a commercial showing the power and beauty of web-os without creeping anybody out (sprint's pale lady) or targeting your mom (verizon). Yes, moms are a great audience to target, but exclusively?? Just make a commercial advertising to everybody, make it modern, and keep it simple. Does this bother anybody else?

sorry for the rant, just had to get it out
    I agree, but there's nothing any of us can do. Everyday I read Precentral and see Palm stock falling, Palm losing market share, etc. It's so discouraging. I really thought we'd get better results, both in marketing and sales, with the Verizon launch, but it would appear by early indications that we're heading down the same road as with Sprint. Sad . . . just sad.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 02/09/2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    axler, let me ask you this ... how did you hear about the Pre to buy one? It just seems strange that all these people who have already bought the Pre are complaining about how it is being marketed.
    But most of us are not the average consumer... which is one of the reasons why we are on this forum... I got 2 people to buy a pre and none of them know about homebrew or themes etc.. They got the pre because I showed them some of what it can do.. Maketing had nothing to do with alot of us buying the phone.. Most of us are tech heads and seen it at ces or read about it on engadget or probably seen a friend with it.. Im sorry the marketing for the pre has not been good at all.. I miss my pre a little now.. Ill be back!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    Like i said before, last time i checked, mom's didn't drive the cellphone market. I just don't see moms rushing to stores to buy cellphones...

this ad campain sucks.....
    +1 i sure dont know alot of moms with any smartphone period... but all of my uncles, dad, and me have them..

I have a Iphone now and these are things that should be highlighted and why I miss my pre... #1 Notifications period... Its better then android and iphone put together.. Its nice to be able to get your notifications in a neat way and still be able to continue doing what u are doing.. Android is unpolished and iphone just stops u completely.. #2 The OS.. It is still well polished and once they get rid of some of the bugs everyone watch out... #3Aim integration... Its nice to see how aim is integrated just like text messages.. I hate going in the aim app to see whats going on and the way the iphone notifies you is wack... #4 the web.. The web experience on the pre is great.. SHOW IT OFF!!
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 02/09/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Most people really aren't wanting to take sides in the battle against Apple. They just want a good smartphone.
    Even if they don't take sides, going after apple sparks more buzz than not.

Besides, i don't think they want a really good smartphone (the mass consumer that is). They want what is cool. People are generally stupid and couldn't even define what a smartphone should be. Advertising tells these people what to do.

In order to introduce the iPad, Steve Jobs said it had to be significantly better at a few key things than either a smartphone or a laptop. His list included:

* Browsing
    * Email
    * Photos
    * Video
    * Music
    * Games
    * eBooks

The ability to hold all that in your hands and interact with it through a fast, fluid multitouch interface was Jobs’ pitch
    Take out ipad and insert smartphone. Add in features like camera, MULTITASKING, and gps. Many platforms offer those. But the key is that bit at the end about "being able to interact with it through a fast fluid multitouch interface." That's the cool part.

Palm's take on that is different with its cards, use of physical kb, and form factor. But first they must advertise that they offer the same (no, make that better) kind of interactive multitouch (multitasking) experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12