1.    #1  
    Before I get into this development I have to sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank TopTongueBarry and Tomi666 for all of the help and support...these guys are amazing...

I can report that the TELCEL Palm Pre (100UNA) with RebelSIM II and a 32K SIM card is working 100% on the Fido (and Rogers) 850Mhz UTMS/HSPA Networks!!!!

Here are the steps I went through:

Step 1: Purchase Telcel version of GSM Palm Pre (100UNA)
    Step 2: Meta-Doctor WebOS Doctor to bypass Activation
    Step 3: Using Wi-Fi Create Palm Profile with First Use application
    Step 4: Enable Developer Mode and USB Connect the Phone in Just Charging Mode to your laptop
    Step 5: Download WebOS Quick Install and Launch Application
    Step 6: Copy CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 to your desktop (from /usr/lib/luna/)
    Step 7: Using SQlite Browser Edit the Carrier file to include/correct your carrier settings
    Step 8: Copy options-gsm from /etc/ppp/ using WebOS QI
    Step 9: Using TextEdit add the user and password settings to the bottom of the page of options-gsm
    Step 10: Using WebOS QI copy back the options-gsm modified file to the original location AND the CarrierSettings modified file to the /usr/lib/luna/ and /var/luna/data/ as the destination folders
    Step 11: Cut SIM Card and Attach RebelSIM (Make Sure you are in Mode 1 -- us an old nokia phone to get to the Rebel menu to change modes if needed)...Insert into phone
    Step 12: Restart Phone

CONGRATULATIONS you now have a North American 3G Network Phone...I hope my fellow AT&T Users and Australian Telstra Users can benefit from what I have written as well...

Thanks Again to everyone on this forum that has tirelessly helped me along the way, I may be the happiest user on these boards!!!

B-E-A-S-T
    Sounds interesting. Congrats on your success!

Can I ask the question that others here will likely ask:
    Is this likely to work on ATT and/or TMobile in the USA?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #3  
    No 3G applicable bands on T-Movile

As for AT&T talk to TopTongueBarry as he is working on it diligently

In my mind I believe it came down to the fact that I am using an old 32k SIM similar to what the 02 people are using with their RebelSIM AND the CarrierSettings and GSM Options file adjustments...
    I'm not a GSM user, but I was just asking for others as I'm sure many would like to know a successful path to getting a Pre on AT&T. Thanks!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I'm not a GSM user, but I was just asking for others as I'm sure many would like to know a successful path to getting a Pre on AT&T. Thanks!
    Fortunately for B-E-A-S-T and other Canadians, Rogers/Fido's network is able to register and activate older 32K SIM cards regardless if the SIM card has a 19 or a 20 character ICCID. Those of us looking to have the same success with a Telcel Palm Pre using a RebelSIM card as our unlock solution on AT&T's US 3G network don't have that same flexibility.

Cingular/ATT went to UICC's (new sims to access all Cingular/ATTWS/3G networks) in '05 at the UMTS network launch - meaning new HLR with a new NAC added for UMTS Network. This was in part due to the network mergers between legacy Cingular and legacy AT&T Wireless. Much cleaner to force everyone to get a new sim on a new HLR and fresh back-end DB, which in turn allowed for eventual teardown of the legacy systems and save the company cash to boot.

In theory, they could have allowed the old sims the UMTS network NAC, but they didn't because it running two HLR's and associated backend systems. New single system and new sim also solved the "will my legacy AT&T Wireless sim work in the new Cingular phones?" subsidy lock issue.
    Thanks to blacknight for sharing and condensing an awful lot of information into the previous two paragraphs!

Ever since the discovery that RebelSIM II cards set to mode 1 do work as an unlock solution for Telcel Palm Pre's with the older 32K SIM cards (about a month), I've been unsuccessful locating any that will work on today's AT&T's network, although I am certain there must be a few of them floating around out there. If the proper SIM card is located, it "can be" programmed with an existing or new AT&T account by any AT&T Retail store or distributor willing to do it for a customer. I do know of a few who would do it for me IF the SIM meets the proper criteria.
    Although UICC's (USIM's) are primarily the only kind of SIM card used on on today's AT&T 3G network, the criteria for AT&T SIM registration doesn't necessarily require the SIM card to be a USIM.

Here's the criteria we're looking for to get a Telcel Palm Pre onto today's AT&T 3G network in the USA with a RebelSIM II card:

1). 32K SIM card (for Rebel SIM II compatability with North American service providers) - haven't yet figured out why this is the case, but it is ...
    2). Cingular Orange SIM distributed prior to Oct 2005
    3). 20 character ICCID (This is the one sticking point, no if's but's or and's about it - needed to activate and register on today's AT&T 3G network - AT&T Retail outlets are no longer able to activate and register the Cingular Orange SIM cards with a 19 character ICCID.

In summary, If any of you happen to have or know of someone who has a Cingular "Orange" 32K SIM card with a 20 character ICCID (even if it's been previously used and since been deactivated, we'll attempt to try it. Note: previously deactivated SIM's usually "break" when reused or written to. Right now we're willing to try anything that has even a slim chance of working.

Thanks,
    TTB.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/08/2010 at 03:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    Before I get into this development I have to sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank TopTongueBarry and Tomi666 for all of the help and support...these guys are amazing...

I can report that the TELCEL Palm Pre (100UNA) with RebelSIM II and a 32K SIM card is working 100% on the Fido (and Rogers) 850Mhz UTMS/HSPA Networks!!!!

Here are the steps I went through:

Step 1: Purchase Telcel version of GSM Palm Pre (100UNA)
    Step 2: Meta-Doctor WebOS Doctor to bypass Activation
    Step 3: Using Wi-Fi Create Palm Profile with First Use application
    Step 4: Enable Developer Mode and USB Connect the Phone in Just Charging Mode to your laptop
    Step 5: Download WebOS Quick Install and Launch Application
    Step 6: Copy CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 to your desktop (from /usr/lib/luna/)
    Step 7: Using SQlite Browser Edit the Carrier file to include/correct your carrier settings
    Step 8: Copy options-gsm from /etc/ppp/ using WebOS QI
    Step 9: Using TextEdit add the user and password settings to the bottom of the page of options-gsm
    Step 10: Using WebOS QI copy back the options-gsm modified file to the original location AND the CarrierSettings modified file to the /usr/lib/luna/ and /var/luna/data/ as the destination folders
    Step 11: Cut SIM Card and Attach RebelSIM (Make Sure you are in Mode 1 -- us an old nokia phone to get to the Rebel menu to change modes if needed)...Insert into phone
    Step 12: Restart Phone

CONGRATULATIONS you now have a North American 3G Network Phone...I hope my fellow AT&T Users and Australian Telstra Users can benefit from what I have written as well...

Thanks Again to everyone on this forum that has tirelessly helped me along the way, I may be the happiest user on these boards!!!

B-E-A-S-T
    Congrats!
    This is the best news I've heard all year!.
    Thanks for thanking me but I didn't do anything!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thats sounds super interesting! How do you get billed for 3g internet though??? I assume you bought no smartphone plan..
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Thanks for thanking me but I didn't do anything!
    It was the CarrierSettings.db3 file that you modified for me that finally worked...I recopied it again and the second time it worked...I just appreciated the time you took to make that file for me and walk me through the steps on the other thread I had created...Thanks Again...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xel View Post
    Thats sounds super interesting! How do you get billed for 3g internet though??? I assume you bought no smartphone plan..
    I have the old granfathered CityFido (unlimited incoming/outgoing calls) for $40/mnth + 6GB iPhone Data Plan ($30/mnth) and the Visual Voicemail/Unlimited Texting plan ++ a number of other things for $15/mnth...Total $85/mnth + Taxes (no SAF).

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

Here's the criteria we're looking for to get a Telcel Palm Pre onto today's AT&T 3G network in the USA with a RebelSIM II card:

1). 32K SIM card (for Rebel SIM II compatability with North American service providers) - haven't yet figured out why this is the case, but it is ...
    2). Cingular Orange SIM distributed prior to Oct 2005
    3). 20 character ICCID (This is the one sticking point, no if's but's or and's about it - needed to activate and register on today's AT&T 3G network - AT&T Retail outlets are no longer able to activate and register the Cingular Orange SIM cards with a 19 character ICCID.

In summary, If any of you happen to have or know of someone who has a Cingular "Orange" 32K SIM card with a 20 character ICCID (even if it's been previously used and since been deactivated, we'll attempt to try it. Note: previously deactivated SIM's usually "break" when reused or written to. Right now we're willing to try anything that has even a slim chance of working.

Thanks,
    TTB.
    Barry, I have an old Cingular orange sim that says 64k so my question is (maybe painfully obvious...) are your 3 criteria above all required or if I meet 2 and 3 am I good?--My sim is orange and has 20 characters, but not sure how old...
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Barry, I have an old Cingular orange sim that says 64k so my question is (maybe painfully obvious...) are your 3 criteria above all required or if I meet 2 and 3 am I good?--My sim is orange and has 20 characters, but not sure how old...
    Dsol,
    YES, Let's give it a shot, PLEASE!!!!!! Here's hoping that SIM isn't a UICC SIM ..

Jury's still out on the Cingular Orange 64K. Two weeks ago I ordered two of these "Cingular 64K SIM's" from Amazon.com for testing and the seller sent me 2 AT&T branded 64K 3G SIM's -ACK!!!

When he emailed me asking why I did not provide feedback on the transaction, I told him he's lucky I didn't because I didn't receive what was listed and described. He listed and described them as "Cingular Orange 64K SIM cards". Far cry from what he sent me.......

I'll PM you so we can get moving on this.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/09/2010 at 03:55 AM.
    Guys, Will any of these blank sims work if they were 32/64 KB???
    blank sim, Cell Phones PDAs, sim card writer. Great deals on eBay!

From the few things I know is that new SIM's (USIM) cannot be read many times, so "cloning" into a blank chips like those could left your SIM unusable (however, it is very easy to get a replacement from your carrier if you have a contract).

Also, how do I know how many ICCID characters does my sim card has?
    Are those the numbers in front of the sim? (near the operator logo), is that's the case, my sim has 20 numbers.

But I don't even know if my sim is 32, 64 or 128 KB. My sim says "GEMPLUS" if that helps.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by aguilera_reyes; 02/10/2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilera_reyes View Post
    Guys, Will any of these blank sims work if they were 32/64 KB???
    blank sim, Cell Phones PDAs, sim card writer. Great deals on eBay!

From the few things I know is that new SIM's (USIM) cannot be read many times, so "cloning" into a blank chips like those could left your SIM unusable (however, it is very easy to get a replacement from your carrier if you have a contract).

Also, how do I know how many ICCID characters does my sim card has?
    Are those the numbers in front of the sim? (near the operator logo), is that's the case, my sim has 20 numbers.

But I don't even know if my sim is 32, 64 or 128 KB. My sim says "GEMPLUS" if that helps.

Thanks guys
    You are basically right about potentially ruining the USIM by trying to read it. I don't know enough about cloning or making a custom SIM card to be able to offer much information on this particular topic.

I can find out if the RebelSIM I card will provide an unlock solution for it without doing any damage to the SIM card itself. All I'm interested in finding out is whether RebelSIM bypasses the network subsidy unlock code screen.
    I do know that USIM's can be read, however if they are V2 or V3 USIMS's the KI is encrypted. It's my understanding that the process of unencrypting the KI is what ruins the SIM. We're getting into stuff thats too challanging for me to attempt, thus I'll continue to scour the Internet in hopes of finding a Cingular Orange 32k SIM with a 20 character ICCID that I can try to have added to my current AT&T account and number. Additionally, I've not had the opportunity to test a Cingular Orange 64K SIM with a 20 character ICCID, but am hoping Dsol, will let me use his old SIM to at least check for Rebel SIM II card compatability. If I can find either of these SIM's just to test that one piece of this pie, I'd be content knowing that particular type of SIM either works or doesn't work with the RebelSIM II card. If the RebelSIM II card doesn't provide an unlock solution, then at least I'll be able to exclude that type of SIM card from consideration.

Yes, the 20 character number on the SIM card that you refer to is the ICCID.
    GEMPLUS makes SIM cards for many carriers, which carrier are you on?

If it is AT&T, then there were Gemplus Cingular Orange branded 64K SIM's (Some USIM, some not), Gemplus AT&T 3G 64K SIMS (USIM), and Gemplus AT&T 3G 128K SIM's (USIM). Gemplus AT&T (BLUE) 64K SIM's (which no longer function on AT&T's 3G network)

I am not certain, but I heard Gemplus also was the vendor of choice for Cingular Orange when 32K SIM's were in use. Unknown if they had the 19 or the 20 character ICCD's on them. At this moment, I'd probably give anything to have one of those baby's with a 20 character ICCID stamped on it!

Thanks,
    TTB
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Dsol,
    YES, Let's give it a shot, PLEASE!!!!!! Here's hoping that SIM isn't a UICC SIM ..

Jury's still out on the Cingular Orange 64K. Two weeks ago I ordered two of these "Cingular 64K SIM's" from Amazon.com for testing and the seller sent me 2 AT&T branded 64K 3G SIM's -ACK!!!

When he emailed me asking why I did not provide feedback on the transaction, I told him he's lucky I didn't because I didn't receive what was listed and described. He listed and described them as "Cingular Orange 64K SIM cards". Far cry from what he sent me.......

I'll PM you so we can get moving on this.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Barry, PM'd you a few days ago, haven't heard back. I am happy to send you my SIM but I had a few questions for you in my PM.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Barry, PM'd you a few days ago, haven't heard back. I am happy to send you my SIM but I had a few questions for you in my PM.
    I replied
    will resend