1.    #1  
    I am finally at the crossroads where time and technology is forcing me to leave my beloved treo 755p (Verizon) behind. My office has upgraded to Microsoft exchange version 8.1 and my 755p is incompatible. I am forced to do work arounds to keep using it, and am the facing reality that I may just need to move on. But here are the features I love about the 755p and need to have in my new phone:

querty keyboard, touch screen, ability to sync my Outlook contacts and calendar to my office and home computers, docs to go, Sling Player, camera, video camera and player, fast internet, removable storage card.

Ideally I would like to find some form of emulator that would allow me to use some of the palm software I own on the new phone like Password plus, safeguard, and Resco backup.

I went to the Verizon store and liked the Pre+ but am concerned about it as a substantial business tool as well as an entertainment vehicle. I don't want to fall into a Blackberry world because I do watch TV and video on my phone and enjoy the media components.

The lack of synchronization with Outlook could be a killer for me, but I am thinking I can use exchange to work around this and can get used to it if the phone is worth it on every other account.

Can you give me some encouragement here or should I hang onto my 755P?
    My recollection is that the 700p and the 755 had nicer keyboards than the Pre, but that the Pre+ keyboard is slightly improved over the Pre, so that will either be a wash for you or a small step down. I don't use mine with Outlook yet so I'm not sure how that works, but I haven't heard major complaints so I think it's probably pretty good. No docs to go, but that should be coming. WiFi helps immensely and you'll really like that (both in the office and at home). The camera is better than what I had in my 700p (which is very similar to what you have in the 755. The Pre camera has an LED flash, and there are hacks so you can turn that on and use it as a flashlight! I still use Password Plus on my laptop but I haven't bothered to sync any passwords onto my phone. I usually need them mostly on my desktop anyway. There is a GPL Password Keyring program, that you should (possibly with some manual massaging) be able to export/import into the new program. Password Plus allows a rich set of fields, so that's probably the area where you might need to do the manual munging. I'm pretty sure SlingPlayer should come to the Pre once Flash comes to WebOS. You'll probably want to read up on that yourself to make a determination of how real that is. You'll miss not having an SD card slot, but your Pre will work as a USB drive out of the box (on a separate filesystem from the Pre's WebOS partition). If you like Linux, you'll like the Pre and it's much more open, hackable, and tweakable than PalmOS ever could be. I guess if I were you, I'd wait to see how SlingPlayer on Flash plays out and whether Verizon does anything to cripple it. If that turns out to be OK, make the jump as soon as you want after that. You might also consider jumping over to Sprint and saving some bucks every month (unless you live in a fringe area that's only served well from Verizon).

EDIT: Also there is still not a video camera but that's probably coming later in the month around the same time as WebOS 1.4 and Flash. Flash will be a (presumably free) download from the app catalog.

EDIT2: If needed, you could probably build a full version of OpenOffice on your phone and then install a VNCserver on your phone and edit docs that way if push came to shove.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. The pre+ I saw today had a 16g card slot, so that's already a step up, and DataViz supposedly is coming out with Docs to go shortly, but yeah I will definitely need considering waiting until SlingPlayer comes to WebOS. That's a lot to give up on top of the other stuff at one time.
    Just try it in the stores, or take the plunge and use it for 30 days. That's really the only test, Try it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritomisto View Post
    Thanks for the info. The pre+ I saw today had a 16g card slot, so that's already a step up, and DataViz supposedly is coming out with Docs to go shortly, but yeah I will definitely need considering waiting until SlingPlayer comes to WebOS. That's a lot to give up on top of the other stuff at one time.
    It is a built in 16GB, not a card, just to clear that up for readers. I have my Pre synced up with EAS 2010 and it works beautifully. It is an army EAS and they killed access via blackberry without a BES so I moved to the Pre and have not been disappointed yet. With time I think that this device will eventually replace my blackberry completely. The lack of outlook synchronization was a disappointment at first till I figured out how to get my outlook syncing with the cloud and now everything stays synced, to include my berry.

The only thing that is really stopping me from completely replacing my berry is the lack of world capabilities.
    there is an emulator that runs legacy Palm apps. PocketMirror will let you syncc with Outlook.

I went from a 700p to Pre+ and am quite happy overall. Some things misssing like a file manager but they are being developed as we speak.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I use my PRE for my business phone - including connecting seamlessly to Exchange - so never sure if syncing to Outlook is the same thing? I understand the difference - but by syncing with Exchange - I have no need to sync with Outlook now.

I find the PRE 100% effective in every way - coming from the 7xxp series...
    But here are the features I love about the 755p and need to have in my new phone:

querty keyboard, touch screen, ability to sync my Outlook contacts and calendar to my office and home computers, docs to go, Sling Player, camera, video camera and player, fast internet, removable storage card.
    • QWERTY keyboard Obviously, not a problem. The Pre KB will be a bit different (I still mess up commas), but you'll probably find the transition no problem
    • Sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar You likely won't have a problem with this, but check with your office's IT department. Ask if you are able to sync using Exchange Active Sync (it's a standard part of Exchange). If so, just move your contacts and calendar from your current Outlook to your office account, and sync to your Pre.
    • Small side note on this, You may want to get a Google Calendar account for personal calendars. I prefer using those form my personal stuff.
    • Camera The Pre's got that, and it's better than the Treo
    • Video Player No problem there either
    • Fast Internet Same thing. Speeds the same, but the browser is much faster
    • Docs to Go Not yet, but supposedly it's coming
    • Sling Player Not yet, but word is that with Flash coming, we'll have something soon
    • Video Recorder Not yet, but it's on the way (promised for this month by Palm). Plus, the Pre video recorder will have on device editing (though apparently pretty limited), and will save in a much more standard format that the Treo did.
    • Removable Storage Not now, not going to happen soon, and probably never. I've not missed it yet.

Ideally I would like to find some form of emulator that would allow me to use some of the palm software I own on the new phone like Password plus, safeguard, and Resco backup.
    There is an emulator, but I don't think it's going to help for Resco Backup (since that is backing up totally different information), and there are similar programs written for the Pre natively that are similar to Password plus. Safeguard I'm not familiar with.

I went to the Verizon store and liked the Pre+ but am concerned about it as a substantial business tool as well as an entertainment vehicle. I don't want to fall into a Blackberry world because I do watch TV and video on my phone and enjoy the media components.

The lack of synchronization with Outlook could be a killer for me, but I am thinking I can use exchange to work around this and can get used to it if the phone is worth it on every other account.
    You really should have no problems, if your office allows synchronization via EAS (Exchange Active Sync). You can pull mail from any POP3, IMAP, Google, Exchange, or Yahoo account (that covers just about everything). And you can simply store all of your contact information in the office Exchange account.

Can you give me some encouragement here or should I hang onto my 755P?
    My Treo use sounds like it was very similar to yours. I was just about to jump ship to a BlackBerry when the Pre was announced. I decided to wait, and haven't regretted it.

Though there are some things I miss (SlingPlayer and a good reliable backup solution are the biggest right now), I don't regret it, and would make the jump again. SlingPlayer, as I said, I think is coming, and I believe we'll eventually see some very powerful backup solutions. At the same time, syncing contacts and calendars to the clould makes the backups much less important than they were on the Treo.
    I have my outlook email account on my pre and it works pretty well. Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to emailing, im not sure if outlook has push, or if the pre does, but I know that I get my emails on my phone without a problem.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks to everyone who has been responding to my querry so far. You are definitely helping me get the issues in focus. I just have to see if I can work around the current limitations with my 755p and exchange in order to be patient for the pre+ apps I need to arrive, or just jump in and hope Palm delivers what I want soon. However, having been with Palm from my first Palm 100m all the way back in pre-historic days to my current treo 755p, I know that "almost here" can mean almost anything when it comes from Palm.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Know what you mean by 'almost there'!

One thing worth noting is that the experience you'll have on the PRE is going to be completely different than what you have on your treo. Do not expect an apples to apples experience. There are things you will have to give up. My wife just went from her TREO to the PRE and she still pulls out here TREO for certain non-phone/data applications. Interesting though is that after 1 week she is pulling the TREO out less and less. Things she didn't think she could live w/o - shes' living without.

The fact that the PRE is an integrated device makes all the difference in the world. The way you will use this device is going to be very different than what you may think. Be ready to use this smartphone very differently than how you use your TREO. Being a hard core TREO fan (300>600>655>700) I never thought I'd want to go w/o - now - I'd never go back.

If you can't live w/o the treo - then don't.
    Here's what I found I missed after I switched from a 755p to a Pre:

1) Speed. You open the Pre calendar... and 5 seconds later it's open. More annoying: the phone dialer seems to be one of the slower apps on the phone.
    2) Keyboard navigation. I used to be able to open email, glance at new msgs, and delete spam ("d" key shortcut) in microseconds. I found myself really surprised at how much I was swiping at the screen with the Pre. Felt like a lot of precise "finger ballet" to pull off what I used to be able to do in a click or two.
    3) Phone functionality. I probably could read more on how to do this better, but the Pre just doesn't work as well as a phone as the Treo did. Assigning speed dial buttons has never worked consistently for me, the call log is really slow and lacks detail, and answering and hanging up calls just isn't as slick as the Treo.

That said, I really like my Pre and was delighted to get rid of my 755p. Here's what you will love:
    1) Web browser. It's like the difference between starting a fire with flint versus a flamethrower.
    2) Lack of shame. I was always a little embarrassed pulling out my clunky 755p in my last year of use. Never feel that with the Pre.
    3) Cards. Running multiple apps at once is cool and convenient. It also mitigates the speed issue a bit--once an app is open, its pretty responsive.
    4) Active Sync has worked great for me. No issues with my Exchange account syncing with the phone. Much better experience in fact than what I had with the Treo (which is different than a lot of other posts on this board).

I remember being surprised that the Pre lacked several touches that the Treo had--I assumed the Pre would be everything a Treo was plus alot more. That is not the case (yet), but the gap is closing with various webOS updates. i am getting used to touchscreen navigation and it feels less inefficient than it first did.

Hope that helps.
    As a former Treo visorphone/300/600/700p PalmOS user, I completely concur with everything that swalker007 just said.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  14.    #14  
    Fortunately I have been able sync my 755p to Micrsoft exchange email using IMAP instead of active sync (which was is not compatible), am able to hotsync my contacts and calendar to my new 64 bit laptop through Bluetooth (I was very worried if this wouldn't work), so I don't have to rush as quickly to convert to the Pre+. I am now thinking that it makes sense to wait for more upgrades to come first before jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    Know what you mean by 'almost there'!
    One thing worth noting is that the experience you'll have on the PRE is going to be completely different than what you have on your treo. Do not expect an apples to apples experience. There are things you will have to give up. My wife just went from her TREO to the PRE and she still pulls out here TREO for certain non-phone/data applications. Interesting though is that after 1 week she is pulling the TREO out less and less. Things she didn't think she could live w/o - shes' living without.
    I think I would be like your wife constantly wanting my phone for other stuff. I watch Slingplayer quite a bit, open and edit documents, play games, listen to music, play videos, and like the hard keys as well. I am very hard on the phone. How has the experience changed for you?

The fact that the PRE is an integrated device makes all the difference in the world. The way you will use this device is going to be very different than what you may think. Be ready to use this smartphone very differently than how you use your TREO. Being a hard core TREO fan (300>600>655>700) I never thought I'd want to go w/o - now - I'd never go back.
    I am also a hard core Palm and Treo user (100m, 505, 650, 700, 755p)

If you can't live w/o the treo - then don't.
    The jury is still out.
    I still have my 755p but never use it. Spouse has one, it is like foreign object to me now, especially when I try to swipe the screen.
    I love my pre, never looked back to 755p
    outlook great, email great.
    Miss video, and I do slightly like the keyboard better on 755P but don't miss the size.
    G E T T H E P R E!!! Nuff said! Had the 755...thought I would NEVER like PRE! Turns out it was ALL the Palm I had ever hoped for! Get the PRE!!
    There were Japanese soldiers hiding in caves in the Philippines ,refusing to surrender until the 90s.
    If the 755p were a car it would be like a Model A compared to the Pre.
    We have EVDO now.
    Youre a Luddite.

Just kidding ,I had a 755p as well.