Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I think I am screwed. First off, my phone has no patches, not even any homebrew apps.

I was playing the helicopter game that you can get free at the App Catalog, and while I was playing, it seemed a bit sluggish so I figured, lets restart the phone, the memory might be overly full from playing Gangstar.

So I restart the phone, bring up the launcher to play the game again, and the launcher is blank....totally blank. So I restart the phone again, and the launcher is still blank! I turn the phone off and leave it off for a minute or two, turn it back on, and the launcher is still blank. So I click on menu for the launcher app, and it still shows all the apps installed. I tried starting an app by doing a search for them, but the phone doesn't find any of the apps I try!!! I figured, lets do a partial erase and I start by deleting all the big 3d games I have installed, hoping that when the phone comes back up, it won't have to download all those apps at the same time, which no doubt would take forever. But then, before taking the plunge, keeping in mind how people lost all their contacts, I did a google search to see if anyone else had that problem.

Turns out, one guy did have the similar problem with the only difference being that he was able to do a search and find the apps and actually launch them, my phone won't even do that anymore. Anyhow, he did a partial and full restore, neither one of which fixed anything. He even got a new phone and that didn't do anything either. Turns out his profile was corrupted and he lost all his contacts which was no big deal for him since he only had 5. I have around 300 contacts....I can't lose them! Currently all my contacts are still there and I am able to recieve and send text messages.

All I did was a restart...nothing else!

What should I do??

HELP!!
    check available memory and see how much there is to say if the apps are just hidden or really and truly gone
    Yeah, its my guess the apps are there, just not displaying on the launcher.

ET
    This happened to me a couple weeks ago, but I can't for the life of me remember how I got it back... crap! It happened after a restart for me too, but I was messing with patches at the time. I got it back in a few minutes, but it's really ****ing me off that I can't remember how I did it. Sorry!
  5.    #5  
    I can't even do that since I can't even get to Device Info. the only apps I can launch are the ones in my quick launcher. What I can do is see the list of installed apps, so they all appear to be there.
    Try WebOS Repair Utility
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7.    #7  
    I am chatting with Palm right now, and the tech assured me that the corrupted palm profile thing has been fixed. He acknowledged that it was a problem before at the server end, but that it since has been fixed.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    try this: launch the launcher and try to move those 4 shortcut apps to the launcher, if nothing happens, try to restart...f ther's none, swap ur fone!!!
    pull the battery....

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  10.    #10  
    OK....crisis has been averted. After the 3rd restart, everything came back.

**swipes sweat off forehead, measures decreasing pulse rate**

I guess I got lucky...kinda makes me scared now to restart my phone, which I have to do fairly frequently now with all those 3d games I bought!

I just hope the Palm guy is right and that they really do completely fix the Profile corruption issue!

Thanks guys!
    There is a patch that gives you multiple options on restart when you hold the power button down, such as restart luna. When my luancher went blank I used this and it worked on the first try. The patch is available in Preware, created by Jason Robitaille.
  12.    #12  
    Cool...thanks, I just hope it doesn't happen again.
    The part that bothers me is that a reboot should fix it. What on earth is happening in the OS that something takes 2 or 3 reboots to suddenly work. I had a bunch of Need for speed reboot freezes in the beginning and it would take 3 or 4 reboots to get past the palm logo. That kind of stuff boggles me.
    happened once. a restart fixed it.

glad you got it sorted.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah after I did two reboots without success I thought for sure I am screwed! I already saw myself writing down all of my contact info and manually typing it back in because I thought my Profile was corrupted. But, according to the Palm tech, that won't happen anymore....I hope he's right.

It is kinda weird that it decided to work again on the 3rd attempt. Kinda reminds me of a certain PC operating system,.... if in doubt, reboot! And, just like was the case with my phone, some times the time before the last reboot was the last time you saw your phone/PC with a working OS.
    It has happened to me where the main home screen would pop up but I couldn't hit the launcher icon. Took 3 reboots to get it back but it was my own fault I was messing around with JStop to much and caused the phone to crash.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I can't seem to download anymore apps. It acts like it wants to download. I have no patches or homebrew installed. I have taken the battery out doesn't help
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Yeah after I did two reboots without success I thought for sure I am screwed! I already saw myself writing down all of my contact info and manually typing it back in because I thought my Profile was corrupted. But, according to the Palm tech, that won't happen anymore....I hope he's right.

It is kinda weird that it decided to work again on the 3rd attempt. Kinda reminds me of a certain PC operating system,.... if in doubt, reboot! And, just like was the case with my phone, some times the time before the last reboot was the last time you saw your phone/PC with a working OS.
    Now may be the time to back up your contacts to Outlook via PocketMirror or sync them to a Gmail account. It is always wise to have a backup of your contacts and anything else of importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jddj38 View Post
    I can't seem to download anymore apps. It acts like it wants to download. I have no patches or homebrew installed. I have taken the battery out doesn't help
    i had a similar problem, does it say installation failed? the way i fixed it was a full erase, the cloud had everything read for me, personally, but there have been complaints about profiles not completely coming back, so be wary of that.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Now may be the time to back up your contacts to Outlook via PocketMirror or sync them to a Gmail account. It is always wise to have a backup of your contacts and anything else of importance.
    I don't want to do gmail coz that gets rid of my palm backup, according to palm at least. I tried the trial versions of one of those backup solutions that were supposed to enable me to synch my phone with Outlook, but it didn't work for some reason, even their tech support couldn't help me.

Once a solid solution comes around that's easy to use, I will definitely buy it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast