Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was talking to my Dad (a new pre owner) about this yesterday. How much would you pay for a truly incredible piece of hardware. So right now it seems like everyone is dancing towards lower and lower prices, however, what if Palm decides to put out a super device, and I really mean a super device, and assumes that people will be willing to pay more, but get more.

So I was thinking specs that are something like this:

OMAP 4 (dual core ARM processor running at 1GHz)
    64 GB Storage
    1GB RAM
    8 MP auto focus camera w/dual LED flash
    Large LED screen (talking 3.7-4")
    Glass and metal construction
    Supports all cell bands (GSM, CDMA, WiMAX, LTE, etc)
    Micro SD Card Reader
    1500mAp Battery

With all of that above would you be willing to drop $350-400 (after rebate) on it?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I was talking to my Dad (a new pre owner) about this yesterday. How much would you pay for a truly incredible piece of hardware. So right now it seems like everyone is dancing towards lower and lower prices, however, what if Palm decides to put out a super device, and I really mean a super device, and assumes that people will be willing to pay more, but get more.

64 GB Storage
    1GB RAM
    Micro SD Card Reader
    1500mAp Battery

With all of that above would you be willing to drop $350-400 (after rebate) on it?
    For that? Nothing. The battery would last even less than the Pre does. You wouldn't be able to use the power of that superphone for very long.

I'd have paid more for the Pre than I did if it was exactly the same as it is now but simply had a battery that lasted 2x as long.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    For that? Nothing. The battery would last even less than the Pre does. You wouldn't be able to use the power of that superphone for very long.

I'd have paid more for the Pre than I did if it was exactly the same as it is now but simply had a battery that lasted 2x as long.
    I will add that OMAP is very efficient. It is quoted to do MP3 playback for 145 hours on 1000mAp. So cut that into a 3rd with screen, radios, etc, factor in the 1500mAp battery and I figure you could rock out for 70 hours or so. Not too shabby.

As long as Palm could somehow work in the same general form factor as the Pre, meaning a portrait slider with nice ergonomics, I'd pay that much after subsidy.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As long as Palm could somehow work in the same general form factor as the Pre, meaning a portrait slider with nice ergonomics, I'd pay that much after subsidy.
    So, what if you took the droid, rounded it up a bit, and made it a portrait slider with those internals? Would that be to your liking?

What if palm did a VKeyboard and made it look like the Nexus One?

I like the next palm phone to be a portrait slider but slide screen twist to landscape
    Hi Master Pants. So, umm...I really like the Pre's form factor and dislike VKBs, so I 'd have to agree with Wynand32. I also do not like slab style phones (having had one).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I can comment on the camera, it's not about megapixels, it's the size of the sensor. That's why a full frame sensor camera's cost mega bucks. You can cram a sh#t load of pixels into a small chip to make the mega pixel count as high as you want, but in low light exposures it's the size of the chip, a common mistake in the digital camera world. Yeah, you can have a phone that takes excellent pictures, but then people will complain about the size and the cost of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    I like the next palm phone to be a portrait slider but slide screen twist to landscape
    Now that would be sweet. Reminds me of some awesome Verizon LG phone that they sold awhile back... make great for TV watching!
    Hmm.....well, to be honest, I wouldn't pay much more than I did for the Pre for any phone. I have yet to find a multi-purpose device that does everything at more than a "good" level. I use the GPS on my phone for quick directions getting to a new place, but that's about it. For my mountain biking use, I have a Garmin specifically for that. I do use the Pre's music player quite a bit, but I'd prefer a larger capacity music player if I did more traveling. And, to be honest, as more gets crammed into the phone, the call quality suffers a touch. Likewise the battery. I guess I'm one of the few that manages to get a full 18 hour day out of the Pre with no problems, but I don't leave the GPS and Wifi on 24/7, I only turn it on when I need it.

Once battery tech gets to the point where a full-featured phone can last two or more days on a charge under moderately heavy usage, with all features turned on, then I'll consider spending more. Right now, phones like the Pre, Droid, iPhone.........meh. I would have just bought a cheap flip phone this time, but I do use the things the Pre has often enough to warrant getting a true smartphone.
    When Palm decides to let Canadians have paid apps, i would seriously consider paying the costs of an unlocked GSM pre with a larger screen, like the T3. The T3 was the best palm produced, once you replaced the buggy handwriting recognition (thanks Tealscript) and datebook programs (thanks db3). Good screen metal case, good slider, and fit in a breast pocked perfectly. I have not measured it but must have had twice the screen realestate.

A
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

64 GB Storage
    1GB RAM
    Micro SD Card Reader
    1500mAp Battery
    That phone is a dream I can't afford it at the moment, but if I could, I'd drop $299 for that. Only if it were released by Q3 '10, though. Into Q4 and beyond, those spec's might become the standard.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    If I could custom build the phone online like I can build a laptop from dell (choose processor, screen, ram, storage, gpu, keyboard style, os, gsm/cdma/wimax/lte, etc.) I'd pay up to $999
    Both Palm and MS looked into stuffing a phone into an existing PDA shell. I think Dell was the first to seriously consider it, though. Problem was they were just too big, people didn't like holding a cinderblock up to their face. Blackberry was already there, too, and gaining popularity fast. Handspring came out with the Treo 180 in response. The rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    If I could custom build the phone online like I can build a laptop from dell (choose processor, screen, ram, storage, gpu, keyboard style, os, gsm/cdma/wimax/lte, etc.) I'd pay up to $999

This would be the most brilliant thing to happen to smart phones imho. I too would be willing to spend some serious money if I could pick all the features in my phone. However it would also allow someone who just wanted the base stuff to just get the base stuff.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    I just want a Pixi the size of the iPhone with all the same power as the Pre and a total backup system that backs up via usb.

64 GB Storage
    1GB RAM
    Micro SD Card Reader
    1500mAp Battery

first for a superphone, i hoped the screen would be smaller than 3.7", and with front camera and projector

with a superphone like that. I would pay upto $300 on a contract.

although I have to say that WebOS still has a large capacity that yet to be realized.
    I would spend up to 600 dollars for a phone like this with WebOS...after rebate!
    Years ago I carried a PDA that was much larger than the Pre. It fit in my pocket but just barely. A device of that size with current technology could have "super" capability and enough battery capacity to make it practical. I'd go for it but don't know if anyone else would.
    The SD slot is a big one. If the phone was a little thicker with a battery designed to fit the WHOLE back it would allow more running time. Maybe an 1/8th". Should then allow for around 2600mah. Add the following:
    90deg turning keyboard
    180deg flip camera lens (for front view)
    metal slider
    comes with PC two way software like the older palms
    I would have no problem paying 4-500 for the phone.
    For that matter I would just be happy with the addition of the SD slot. Then the phone could use it as extra ram and storage.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast