1.    #1  
    Guys i'm thinking about getting a Palm Pre +. I'd actually thought about waiting on microsofts announcement of Windows Mobile 7. I'd like to see whats there but i really don't know if i can't wait until September (rumored first phones available). I have LOTS of questions and i'm hoping you guys could help me.

I currently have a blackberry tour on verizon and i hate the phone. I can see if your and email addict you might like the BB but if your not the phone sucks.

Let me also say that i had a palm pre on release date on sprints network. I end up taking it back because of the MAJOR reception issues people were reporting (and i hope its gone). I loved the OS to be honest with you. The card system was just awesome.

OK here are my questions:
    1) Have you guys seen any reports of problems with reception issues on verizon? I sure hope not. If you have then this would be a definite deal breaker for me. I heard about the GPS issues but they seemed pretty minor and something palm will fix quickly

2) Is the build quality any better than the original Palm Pre? If you held an iphone 3gs and a palm pre on sprint...the build quality of the Iphone was far superior. The palm pre original felt like a plastic toy. Has this been improved any? I read quite a few reviews and they talk very little about build quality. They do talk about the improved keyboard though but little about the build quality.

3) I read a few pages on on-screen keyboards for the pre. Is palm made any announcements on making one theirself? Maybe WebOS 1.4? The one i third party keyboard i seen was laggy, didn't have predictive text, symbols wouldn't work, and was kind of a pain to install. If i remember when i had a palm pre...dialing is on screen correct? Thats one of my main complaints about my BB....dialing sucks. Everyone says BB keyboards are so great. They aren't that good. Trying to dial with my BB is a pain because the keyboard is so little.

4) I read there is a tether app on the palm pre now (my tether). This is the only app i have for the blackberry that i love (tetherberry). Well that and ubertwitter. Has anyone used it and is it reliable? This would also probably be a deal breaker for me if a good tether app wasn't available because i use this feature all the time.

5) Is rendering pretty good on the browser? I remember it was pretty good on my original pre but a few sites had trouble detecting that it was a mobile phone and automatically go to their mobile version which can be expected since it was a new phone. MSN did this.

6) How good is the app store getting? I heard palm wasn't getting a lot of traction and that the apps were still slim pickens (can't be any worse than the blackberry store though). I know the android app store is growing my leaps and bounds. I'm not concerned with games. Is there anywhere i can browse all the apps in the store through my browser?

7) How much traction is the pre getting? It will be to bad if it can't get any because i think the webos is the slickest os for a phone currently. I think its better than both the iphone & android. We will see how good Windows mobile 7 will be.

I think that about covers my questions. I'm trying to decide to buy a palm pre on ebay and sell my current bb tour or if i should wait for Windows Mobile 7 or maybe the google nexus for verizon in march. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Quote Originally Posted by ncage1974 View Post
    Guys i'm thinking about getting a Palm Pre +. I'd actually thought about waiting on microsofts announcement of Windows Mobile 7. I'd like to see whats there but i really don't know if i can't wait until September (rumored first phones available). I have LOTS of questions and i'm hoping you guys could help me.

I currently have a blackberry tour on verizon and i hate the phone. I can see if your and email addict you might like the BB but if your not the phone sucks.

Let me also say that i had a palm pre on release date on sprints network. I end up taking it back because of the MAJOR reception issues people were reporting (and i hope its gone). I loved the OS to be honest with you. The card system was just awesome.

1) Have you guys seen any reports of problems with reception issues on verizon? I sure hope not. If you have then this would be a definite deal breaker for me. I heard about the GPS issues but they seemed pretty minor and something palm will fix quickly
    I haven't heard of any as of yet. There is a GPS issue which seems odd, but I don't know much about that. I have heard of a problem with sending MMS if you have WiFi on. Not sure what the status is on that.

2) Is the build quality any better than the original Palm Pre? If you held an iphone 3gs and a palm pre on sprint...the build quality of the Iphone was far superior. The palm pre original felt like a plastic toy. Has this been improved any? I read quite a few reviews and they talk very little about build quality. They do talk about the improved keyboard though but little about the build quality.
    If you didn't like how the Pre felt before than you aren't going to think that much differently about the Pre+. The slider has been tightened up from what people have said, and I haven't heard of any oreo complaints on the Pre+ yet. But it will still feel plasticy compared to the iPhone.

3) I read a few pages on on-screen keyboards for the pre. Is palm made any announcements on making one theirself? Maybe WebOS 1.4? The one i third party keyboard i seen was laggy, didn't have predictive text, symbols wouldn't work, and was kind of a pain to install. If i remember when i had a palm pre...dialing is on screen correct? Thats one of my main complaints about my BB....dialing sucks. Everyone says BB keyboards are so great. They aren't that good. Trying to dial with my BB is a pain because the keyboard is so little.
    No word on an official VKeyboard. Ruby is pretty against them from what I hear.

4) I read there is a tether app on the palm pre now (my tether). This is the only app i have for the blackberry that i love (tetherberry). Well that and ubertwitter. Has anyone used it and is it reliable? This would also probably be a deal breaker for me if a good tether app wasn't available because i use this feature all the time.
    I haven't used my tether, but I hear it works very well. You could also pay for the official VZW one too

5) Is rendering pretty good on the browser? I remember it was pretty good on my original pre but a few sites had trouble detecting that it was a mobile phone and automatically go to their mobile version which can be expected since it was a new phone. MSN did this.
    The browser has much improved. It is faster now, and soon will support full flash.

6) How good is the app store getting? I heard palm wasn't getting a lot of traction and that the apps were still slim pickens (can't be any worse than the blackberry store though). I know the android app store is growing my leaps and bounds. I'm not concerned with games. Is there anywhere i can browse all the apps in the store through my browser?
    The app store is just under 1400 official apps atm. And yes you can search them. Palm just allowed for sites to have feeds to the complete app catalog. Just look here: http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/app-catalog/

7) How much traction is the pre getting? It will be to bad if it can't get any because i think the webos is the slickest os for a phone currently. I think its better than both the iphone & android. We will see how good Windows mobile 7 will be.
    That is the million dollar question. A lot of people are not fans of VZW new ad campaign targeting busy moms. I think it is a smart move personally, but we won't know numbers until March. I think the platform will succeed. But it is gonna really take off in year 2. That is my personal theory.

I think that about covers my questions. I'm trying to decide to buy a palm pre on ebay and sell my current bb tour or if i should wait for Windows Mobile 7 or maybe the google nexus for verizon in march. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Windows Mobile 7 (from what I have heard) is basically going to be the Zune HD OS, which is very very slick, but very much like the iPhone OS, which means no multitasking. But nothing is certain there. I have also heard that it won't support any previous WinMo apps, which means you will have a very empty app store.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I have also been thinking of geting the palm pre plus but I heard the battery life is terrible. Is this true? Could it make a full day with heavy texting?
    projectappetite.com is the official app catalog for webos that you can access from your browser...and if you get a pre I highly recommend you go on ebay..search for the seller smavstore...purchase a 2250mah battery 22 bucks free shipping..it will get you through full day of heavy texting...I text allll day on mines..dim your backlight tho of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    projectappetite.com is the official app catalog for webos that you can access from your browser...and if you get a pre I highly recommend you go on ebay..search for the seller smavstore...purchase a 2250mah battery 22 bucks free shipping..it will get you through full day of heavy texting...I text allll day on mines..dim your backlight tho of course
    actually no, projectappetite.com is not the "official app catalog" website. It is a demo site setup by palm to show off how you can use the feed information that Palm is making publicly available. The official feed on Precentral is just as correct.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    No reception problems at all with Verizon. I had iphone with AT&T and had to give it up because of AT&T's faulty reception in my area. My friends and family were always getting mad at me because the call would drop in the middle of our conversation. I am happy to report crystal clear calls and have yet to experience dropped or failed call with Verizon. Very happy with it and the Pre Plus. I did have to add a virtual keyboard through Homebrew on my Pre because I was so use to the one on the iphone that I can't stand to use a keyboard any more. And also added landscape email. The browser is just as good as the iphones. And I love the design of the Pre, how it fits in the hand, pocket, etc. It makes me not miss my iphone so much, but I am still using it as an ipod touch.
    I have read in another thread (no link, sorry) that there are Oreo's in the Pre Plus's. I'd say the build quality is about the same.
    If you use Gmail or proxy your POP account through a Gmail account and enable IMAP, you will have like experiences with email. Gmail IMAP is push-type email just as BIS. However, there is no such push option for regular POP addresses.

This sounds like a Sprint network issue, not the phone. That said, I have read others saying that reception on the Pre Plus was better/worse than the Droid on Verizon, YMMV...you'll just have to test it out on your own.

Rest assured if this is a hardware issue, it will get fixed. This is a Vzw/Pre only issue with the GPS that both need to work out.

IMO, nothing beats the build quality of any Apple device. They have made some improvements. However you also have to think of the shape of the device...the rounded curves/edges and screen are just not possible without anything other than plastics...thus the phone is very light in weight (compared to other smartphones). Thus the lack of heft gives it that "toy" feeling. I've had mine since launch and it gets daily abuse...it's still in one piece and works and feels like it did out of the box.

there is an onscreen phone pad with large buttons. There is no onscreen keyboard and don't think Palm will be developing one for the Pre / Pixi anytime soon...or at all. The homebrew virtual keyboard has improved but still no prediction nor error correction so IMO, its useless.

You will have to do some research in the correct threads to learn about and find the MyTether app. There may be a 'donation' you'll have to provide to obtain the app. A 'good friend I know really well' told me that it works great. There is also a version of Mobile Hot Spot (MHS) for the Sprint pre that requires the same research to find out how to get it to work and there's the paid version through Verizon of MHS that works very good as well.

The browser is one of the strong points. Palm made a few minor improvements since launch so its better than it was. Mobile detection is more of a website aware issue, not the device. Personally, the rendering, pinch-and-zoom and overall performance work so well, I prefer not to use mobile versions of sites but rather the full html version.

projectappetite.com to see them and SMS app links to your phone.
    Apps are getting added every day. Up to nearly 1400 as of this writing. The 3D games are exceptional. Youtube search 3d NFSU Pre...impressive.

An analyst recently estimates over 2.5M webOS devices. While not iPhone, Android or BB numbers, it;s still impressive for a company the fraction of size as the competitors. AT&T will be getting the "Plus" devices in Q2 this year. It's gaining momentum.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 02/07/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    The phone has good reception near as I can tell. I live in a weak spot and still I'm able to make calls. But reception is more a factor of network coverage than phone.

The one time I messed with the original Pre I thought the same. Its been awhile, but this one seems and has been reported to be sturdier. It does not have the "brick" feel of the Motorola Droid, but in fact a few people here have complained aboiut the Droid being uncomfortable to carry because of that.

There is an onscreen keyboard hidden inside the Pre but you have to use the WebOS Installer to turn it on. It takes a bit of time to get that set up.

MyTether apparently works but I suspect Verizon will eventually crack down on it's use. You're supposed to pay for the service. They did that before when people were tethering illegally on the EV network without paying for it. But the Pre actually has a feature called Mobile Hotspot that basically turns it into a Wifi router and you can surf from your laptop with that. Of course you have to pay for a tethering plan.

I haven't had too many problems there. The above mentioned installer program will let you enter a setting that puts an iPhone compatibility flag in your http headers so that such web sites recognize it as a mobile connection. I haven't tried it yet as I've not had any real problems with web sites so far.

Its growing fast. There are lots of developers out there cranking things out for it. Still have a few voids to fill but I suspect they'll be filled soon.

If this forum is any indicator, the Pre and Pre+ are kicking *****. I've never seen a forum so busy. You post a message and within hours its scrolled down to page 3 because of all the activity.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    I have also been thinking of geting the palm pre plus but I heard the battery life is terrible. Is this true? Could it make a full day with heavy texting?
    In a full day with heavy heavy texting i'll have about 12 percent around 9 pm. You do have to charge it everynight, but the awesome thing is that the phone charges in about 2 hours.
    The developer has just released the beta versions for the newer version that works well with 1.3.5.x. Before it was a nightmare, but now he has redone everything and is using the same method used in Verizon's Mobile HotSpot tether app. However, because it is using the sameway Mobile HotSpot is, Verizon maybe able to tell if you are tethering and not just browsing. I have it on my Sprint Pre and it works better than the Mobile HotSpot. You will have to donate to get the working version, but it is worth it.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  12.    #12  
    Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. It's really hard to make a decision sometimes because no smartphone is perfect and your always making tradeoffs. I definitely want to get a phone off of ebay (i will buy it new) but kind of freaked out if i get a dud because it won't have a warranty of course. I'll spend 400ish on a phone but i'm not paying $600. I will probably just buy a squaretrade warranty just so i won't have to worry. Even if you go out there on some of the android forums you will here people who are on the 2 or 3 droid. So no

The pre seems to be a great device. I just wish palm would allow other carries to build devices around their OS. I think they would be better off doing this and we would probably get a phone with better build quality. Little suprised palm didn't make major changes with the palm pre + after the build quality problems but oh well.

Anyways if it was between the Palm Pre + or the droid i would choose the palm pre + any day. What makes it harder is the nexus one will be out at the end of march and of course its got the snapdragon processor which definitely makes it a deseriable phone. On the interface side i think palm has a slam dunk on any os out there but an android with snapdragon is still an interesting phone. Also apps is what are going to make the phone really useable and the greater app availability on android is a definite plus too.

I started on this quest after having my BB tour for about 8 months. It was my first smart phone that i actually kept (because it was on the verizon). Well not impressed or happy. Paying for an expensive data contract for email? No thanks...well that was before i found tetherberry . The app store is horrible. A lot of the applications don't work because apparently there are standard. For example weather bug doesn't work. Well the radar map always displays the same thing no matter what. The web browser is unusable where i won't even open it any more. Also, there aren't enough apps and the ones that are there are expensive. Try to find a simple app to manage your netflix queue.Oh ya and the battery life is no better than what the people are complaining about the Pre's Battery life.

Well after everything i think i'm going to at least hold off until mobile world congress to make my decision. WM7 really interest me because i have a zune HD and i use it all the time. It will be the first smart phone (other than the iphone) where the media experience is really good. I think zune software is far superior to itunes. Also i'm a .Net developer by trade which means i can develop my own apps for it and also it natively supports siliverlight which is also a + For those who have (tried) to develop apps for the IPhone...its like developing software back in the 80s..We'll have to see on the multitasking rumors. I can't imagine microsoft not including it (in at least one version of the phone) but we will see. Now if they made it with multitasking and used the ION 2 then this thing is most likely going to be awesome.