Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,
    Question, I am up for a new phone on Verizon next week. I have been planning on getting the Pre for many reasons and I really like the OS system. Has the Pre Plus on Verizon been working smoothly??

i actually recommended the Pixi Plus for my girlfriend and she has had it for a few weeks now. Its a really cool phone, but it is really laggy. I have had the too many cards error come up with only one card up??. It takes some time for apps to load up and various other slow operations. She is taking it back in a few days as its way to frustrating.

So how has the Pre Plus been working on the day to day. I have read there have been gps issues and the calendar app is super slow. Seems like with hardware comparable to the iphone that it should be pretty snappy, but if its anything like the pixi I will be bummed? Any other issues anyone has noticed? Thanks in advance for your time...
    Last edited by Peterules; 02/07/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    snappier than the pixi, but no where near the iphone level of smoothness and speed. there are patches you can do to speed it up and reduce the lag in apps, but apps will still take a couple seconds to load. gps issues are there but there are workarounds and i am sure palm will address it in the next update. calendar app doesnt feels slow to me.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I have been reading some of the other posts as well. Not sure why palm is not making the fixes that even users have come up with for certain issues? Hopefully palm will get on the ball and make there OS run faster. With so many other phones coming out with newer and better hardware, I dont think palm can afford not to. Media is super harsh on tech devices and like it or not people read it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I love my Pre Plus.

I have had all 3 iPhones, both blackberry storms (waste of plastic), and just about every other smartphone out there..I like the pre the most.

Not because it is new, but because it is a well built, reliable device.

(battery could be better though). It IS the best phone on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by chblogs View Post
    Not because it is new, but because it is a well built, reliable device.
    you really think this is well built??

i dont even have any major problems and i can tell this is the cheapest built phone Ive ever owned. the plastic is ridiculous. My charger door broke within 10 minutes of me getting the phone too.

the fact that we find it impressive for people's launch pre's still work speaks volumes, it hasnt even been a year yet. Phones come with a 2 year contract, they should atleast last that long with normal wear and tear. It will be extremely rare for someones pre to last 2 years
    Had the phone since day three of verizon launch...No problems...battery getting better....keyboard rocks...slider well built!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    Hello,
    Question, I am up for a new phone on Verizon next week. I have been planning on getting the Pre for many reasons and I really like the OS system. Has the Pre Plus on Verizon been working smoothly??

i actually recommended the Pixi Plus for my girlfriend and she has had it for a few weeks now. Its a really cool phone, but it is really laggy. I have had the too many cards error come up with only one card up??. It takes some time for apps to load up and various other slow operations. She is taking it back in a few days as its way to frustrating.

So how has the Pre Plus been working on the day to day. I have read there have been gps issues and the calendar app is super slow. Seems like with hardware comparable to the iphone that it should be pretty snappy, but if its anything like the pixi I will be bummed? Any other issues anyone has noticed? Thanks in advance for your time...
    I've only had mine since Friday, but none of what you mentioned above has occurred with my Pre Plus.

Is it laggy? Nope! The launcher pages move smoothly and the so does the cards I have open.

I haven't encountered the too many card open problem.

The longest I seen mine take to open certain apps is about 10 seconds maybe 15. Nothing really extreme where I've been sitting for 30 seconds waiting for a app to open.

No GPS issues with mine. I've been using the Weather Channel App and Google Maps and GPS has been accurate.

The calendar app on mine is not super slow. It moves at a good pace. But then again I don't know how to quantify super slow. I mean, how many seconds is super slow to you?

I love this phone. No issue so far. The slider is tight. The keyboard in my opinion is very good. The touch-screen is accurate.

The phone maybe made out of plastic but it feels sooo good in my hand and it doesn't look cheesy. It just feels right.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    you really think this is well built??

i dont even have any major problems and i can tell this is the cheapest built phone Ive ever owned. the plastic is ridiculous. My charger door broke within 10 minutes of me getting the phone too.

the fact that we find it impressive for people's launch pre's still work speaks volumes, it hasnt even been a year yet. Phones come with a 2 year contract, they should atleast last that long with normal wear and tear. It will be extremely rare for someones pre to last 2 years
    Do you know how the charger door works?

The reason I ask is because everyone pops it open and they try to bend it back out of the way, all you have to do is pop it out and it rotates very easy out of the way. I found that mine if you popped the door open and just rotated it up towards the screen it worked fine.

I don't think most people know that it just rotates out of the way.

As for the build quality, is it built as tough as my Casio GzOone Type S? No.

But it is in no way built cheaply, Compared to some of the flip phones my wife and I have had this phone is built like a tank next to some of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post

I found that mine if you popped the door open and just rotated it up towards the screen it worked fine.

I thought everyone opened theirs that way. To me, when I first opened mine, turning it up towards the screen seemed like the most logical way to do it. Opening the phone also makes it easier to open the charger door.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I got the Pre Plus on 1/28. So far my biggest complaint is the calendar. It is incredibly slow - and I'll define that. Even when I have the calendar app already open, when I flip from "today" to even just two days ahead, it will typically take a full 15 - 20 seconds to unfreeze and populate the scheduled events on that day. About 10 seconds is the fastest it ever happens. I have tried many things to make this work smoother - I only sync 1 google calendar, no FB, Yahoo, etc. I have called VZW tech support and they have put me on w/Palm support - twice - with no clue as to why this is. Nothing else on my phone lags like this. It was this way before I installed any apps. I uninstalled all apps, used WebOS Doctor to wipe my phone back to factory settings, etc. and the calendar still lags horribly. I bookmarked Google calendar on the browser and set it as a page on the launcher. I can open that and access info faster than the calendar app on the phone.

My second complaint is about there not being any kind of speed dial on the phone. I installed Quick Dialer, which is not perfect, but works, and cost $1.99. I would think this would be one of those items considered non-optional by a phone manufacturer.
    I've had my original phone since launch day on sprint, and have had zero problems. First you really do need to be smarter than the charger door to charge it. Secondly Palm has released more updates then any other phone OS since June, with another big one any day now. Lastly, I've played with a Droid, Iphone, and a Storm 2. The only one that comes close to the intuitiveness of WebOS would be the Iphone. Blackberries OS is about as out of date as Palm OS, Android reminds me of Windows Mobile, and Steve Jobs reminds me of Stalin. Besides what other WebOS developer has embraced homebrew like Palm? It isn't perfect, but it is the best phone I've ever owned!
    I have no issues with my replacement. My original didn't have any issues with the OS, all of my issues were hardware related on the original phone. This current phone is rock solid though.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all the responses. Interesting how everyone seems to have a different experience with each phone. How can this be? I need to cherry pick a good one somehow. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post

The reason I ask is because everyone pops it open and they try to bend it back out of the way, all you have to do is pop it out and it rotates very easy out of the way. I found that mine if you popped the door open and just rotated it up towards the screen it worked fine.

As for the build quality, is it built as tough as my Casio GzOone Type S? No.

But it is in no way built cheaply, Compared to some of the flip phones my wife and I have had this phone is built like a tank next to some of them.
    yes i do. mine popped right off the first time i tried to charge it. barely used any force and it went flying across the room, didnt even get a chance to "rotate it out of the way". That is VERY poorly built, the plastic on this thing feels like something out of a 25 cent toy machine at the grocery store.

Im no pre basher, I love this phone but mainly cause of the operating system, then the form factor. But the build quality is by far the worst Ive ever seen, free flip phones last longer ( i have flip phones from atleast 5 years ago that still go strong). Just look around, people come chiming in with "ive had my pre for 3 days and no problems!!" as if that is impressive. That shouldnt even be significant enough to deserve a post and on any other phone forum it isnt. but here these pre's seem to be randomly set timebombs counting down to self destruction.

I challenge you to see if your pre is still standing strong at the end of your contract. If its still functional at all Ill be very surprised but my guess is something crucial to its use will fail before then (slider, cracked screen, power button broken, etc)
  15.    #15  
    Damn I am super hard on my phones. I guess I will be getting insurance as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMellon66 View Post
    My second complaint is about there not being any kind of speed dial on the phone. I installed Quick Dialer, which is not perfect, but works, and cost $1.99. I would think this would be one of those items considered non-optional by a phone manufacturer.
    You can set speed dials on almost all of the keyboard keys. Just select a contact, open the app menu in the upper left corner, click Set Speed Dial, and choose a letter.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    Damn I am super hard on my phones. I guess I will be getting insurance as well.
    it would be wise.

i just took my hardcase off just to check my phone out and i got some serious oreo going on now *sigh, ive had it for about a month
    besides the gps issues and battery life, the pre plus is pretty much the perfect phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    You can set speed dials on almost all of the keyboard keys. Just select a contact, open the app menu in the upper left corner, click Set Speed Dial, and choose a letter.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I was so frustrated that there wasn't some kind of icon-like approach to setting speed dials that I didn't bother to learn about the method you pointed out. That still isn't ideal for me, but I stand corrected regarding "no speed dials".
    All of my apps open within a second or two except for the Sprint Navigator app. I think some of the problems is with the apps, some of them have memory leaks that tie up the RAM memory, if your Pre is running slow, open the "Device Info" app and scroll down to the "reset options" button, open it and hit "restart". As for build quality, we have 3 launch day Pre's that are fine (no oreo's, no cracked screens, no dead pixels) and I have never had the "too many cards open" message come up. I have had my Pre for 8 months now and the phone is amazing, especially the mutitasking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast