Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Can you guys post some of the actual file paths to these images?
    I know they've been "deleted" but if that program can find them are they really deleted all the way? It seems like if they were really deleted it wouldn't be able to pull up all those 300k - 1mb pics
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I know they've been "deleted" but if that program can find them are they really deleted all the way? It seems like if they were really deleted it wouldn't be able to pull up all those 300k - 1mb pics
    It's the way deletion works on computers. Things aren't actually "deleted", rather the file system is told to re-allocate the previously used memory, and mark it as unused. In a nutshell, files remain, until overwritten. And unless you actually "wipe" that memory, parts of the file will still remain, even when overwritten.

So yes, they were deleted.
    of those who found pics on there phone did u have preware or any themes or anything like that installed? i don't know if that would really make a difference though
    These are likely to be from the on-device demo program.

Every webOS device shipped contains a copy of the demo that Palm folks give at CES and so forth, and this demo contains some pictures as well as fictitious contacts and such.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    they are sample pictures that werent included in the phone to see but they are there
    one time when I was web docing my phone I saw random files being put in there like contact pictures and info of random people I dont know and it said it was display contacts folder or something liek that
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    these definitely have the feel of stock photos to me.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    These are likely to be from the on-device demo program.

Every webOS device shipped contains a copy of the demo that Palm folks give at CES and so forth, and this demo contains some pictures as well as fictitious contacts and such.

-- Rod
    How do you access the demo, do you know? I'm curious to see if these pics are the ones that actually show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    these definitely have the feel of stock photos to me.
    The contact-type pics, absolutely. But the ones taken with an iPhone, and Blackberry—that's... odd! Rwhitby suggested that they're for a demo that is on every WebOS device, and I can't help but wonder why an iPhone pic would serve as a demo for a Pre or a Pixi.
    I believe it's located in the Videos app.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I'm about 99% sure I've seen the hot dog shot before and possibly the others too. I am betting these are related to the initial demo. The silly thing about this demo is with the Pre you can't do SQUAT with the phone until you go through it. So we had to let it play through at the store before Verizon could do their typical instore setups. And once you go through it..its basically gone.

Good thinking Palm
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    If Palm is working with a basic drive image and updating it from version to version I'm not surprised to see these on everyone's phone. Imaging can be faster and better than running an install program to apply an OS to a device since you have the exact same install for every phone. Because its an image it retains the contents of the entire drive, even the "deleted" items. The people who aren't finding the images I would ask if you have installed a ton of apps or transferred a few gigs of music, movies, or photos?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    They are indeed stock photos, a quick look at a few of them turns up these:

Cute Girl - istockphoto.com/stock-photo-2330147-autumn-portraits.php

Other Girl - istockphoto.com/stock-photo-7106784-attractive-female.php

Glasses Guy - istockphoto.com/stock-photo-7020612-casual-guy.php

What's interesting though is that they copyright logos are removed. So, they were purchased and had some intent to use them for something?
    I have them, too.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Maybe these were on one of the original test phones. Then they deleted them before capturing the "image" that all phones went live with. Assuming Palm has some sort of imaging process like corporations do for PCs.
    Can you guys post the file location on the phone of these photos? I'd like to see if I can find them using novacom or terminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Can you guys post the file location on the phone of these photos? I'd like to see if I can find them using novacom or terminal.
    They are deleted files, so you will not find them like that. You need to run a recovery program to look for deleted files and hope that they still exist.

I recommend trying photorec. I am running it now and I am amazed at what is left over on the phone.... After running this I think I am going to scrub the empty sectors to clean everything out. It's odd looking back on all the files i 'deleted', browser files that were 'deleted' and all that.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123