1.    #1  
    So, my power/screen control botton on the top of my Pre has finally, forever depressed in.

My question is...

Is there a way to fix this? I mean, I should have expected it considering how cheap the button itself is. I took off the battery and managed to take the button itself off, but the area underneath it seems to be the real problem.

At first, I wasn't too concerned because I though that I could just close it and let the screen shut off on its own. However, then I thought about how I could possibly turn it off and I assumed there had to be a way in the menues somewhere.

But then... How am I gonna turn it back on?????

Am I going to have to claim my insurance on this thing?
    if you have TEP with sprint they will fix it in 45 min... Happened to me if you pop that button off you should see a little ciricle button under it. You can use something small like a glasses screw driver and push it in that will turn your phone back on.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I have TEP, but I don't have a Sprint store anywhere within 40 miles. And we just got 2 feet of snow, so, the roads are atrocious.

How would they fix it... just open it up and work their magic?

Thanks for the help though.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I took a little sliver off a pencil eraser, put it over the inside button and then put the plastic button back on. Works fine.
  5.    #5  
    The button underneath doesn't work. That's where the problem is, I believe.
    Mine broke also. Went to the sprint repair store and was not able to be repaired. They gave me 3 pre in 1 week. All 3 were bad each with different problems. Finally got my 4th one and is working perfect. Had my 1st since launch till this past week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ageyoung24 View Post
    So, my power/screen control botton on the top of my Pre has finally, forever depressed in.

My question is...

Is there a way to fix this?
    Am I going to have to claim my insurance on this thing?

The answer is Yes there is an easy way to fix this and No don't waste your time with insurance or a Sprint store.

See this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2107269

Specifically look at "yordikins" post, he has step by step instructions. Its one of the most common problems with Pre hardware and easily the most fixable.

I fixed mine 2 months ago and its working better than the day I bought it.
    Last edited by foosball; 02/06/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by htownguy15 View Post
    Mine broke also. Went to the sprint repair store and was not able to be repaired. They gave me 3 pre in 1 week. All 3 were bad each with different problems. Finally got my 4th one and is working perfect. Had my 1st since launch till this past week.
    ... that's why we have these forums, answers at your fingertips without a hassle!
    cheap? Maybe you should take care of ur pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    cheap? Maybe you should take care of ur pre.
    Did you really have to go there? The faulty power button issue is all over the forums, so I don't think personal care for the phone is to blame.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocOx View Post
    Did you really have to go there? The faulty power button issue is all over the forums, so I don't think personal care for the phone is to blame.
    Take care of my Pre? I have invisible shield AND a Seidio Innocase Surface for it (a 50 dollar investment together) and it still happened. I've never dropped it once and never had issues relating to the hardware until now.

Go take care of your own. I'ts a piece of plastic directly in contact with the button. It's hardly held into place. I can take the battery of and, without effort, take the button off.

And I quoted the wrong message. I know that now after writing this out.
    I hadn't read that post by "yordikins" since he originally wrote it a couple months ago. If you don't want to screw around with his "hot glue" idea just use a small (and I mean really small) piece of rubber band instead. It took me about 3 times to cut one to size but its working great.