Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have always been disappointed in the Pre's display of webpages. For instance, if you try a website like Skweezer.com the page is so small you have to expand it several times with finger gestures then move the page over to see the print in the top left side of the page.

The spoof agent makes the pages display in a reasonable and readable size. I found this by accident after wanting to use Google Lattitude. Lattitude won't work on the Pre unless the spoof agent is installed.

The tweak is found in WebOsquickinstall. This enhancement worked wonders for my appreciation of WebOs.
    The trouble is that this is telling websites that your Pre is really an iPhone. So instead of getting them to give webOS the same treatment as iPhones, you're telling them they really don't need to do anything for webOS since all their mobile traffic is coming from iPhones anyway. If everybody used this hack, all Pres would show up as iPhones in statistics and you'll soon see news proving with visitor statistics that absolutely nobody is using a Palm Pre and that even more people have adopted the iPhone.

Is that really what you want? What _I_ want is for them to not just hack their page for the iPhone but give the SAME treatment to users of other platforms; webOS, Android etc. They've already done all the work to have their websites properly displayed for iPhones and all they'd have to do is to say OK, we're gonna apply the same stuff for other Platforms. That's NEVER going to happen if they see that 0.2% of their traffic comes from webOS while 97% of it comes from iPhones (even if 20% of those are actually Pres disguising themselves).
    GodShapedHole posted the exact reply that I was going to make.

This is wildly counter-productive. Don't do it.

The best thing to do is to contact the website in question and explain that their user-agent detection should send the same web page to the Pre (and Pixi) that they send to iPhones and Android devices because they are all using Webkit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    GodShapedHole posted the exact reply that I was going to make.

This is wildly counter-productive. Don't do it.

The best thing to do is to contact the website in question and explain that their user-agent detection should send the same web page to the Pre (and Pixi) that they send to iPhones and Android devices because they are all using Webkit.
    How successful has that been? While I don't personally use this patch, I can understand how some Pre users may want a good web interface now without waiting for web developers to get around to making changes.
    Yea this is why i dont use the ispoof
    Yeah, I can understand it too. It's still, as Tiddlekins said, wildly counter-productive. I think most Pre users would also like their platform of choice to be respected in some way. While Palm are never going to outsell Apple on account of Apple's sheer coolness factor, they do seem to be holding their own quite OK, and given time, web developers WILL see that they're getting some traffic from webOS, they'll see that its browser is webkit (I'm pretty sure that does show up in visitor statistics) and they'll see they don't have to do any work beyond what they've already done.

Wide usage of this patch will only make Palm look like they have an even smaller market share than they already do, destroying all chances webOS has of taking off. It's just pretty terrible all-around. I DO get that people want instant gratification, but they should consider the trade-off they're making in giving away long-term market potential for a quick fix of not having to pinch to zoom.
    Thanks for the tip Rand. Can't wait to use it! Is it in the latest Quickinstall?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The trouble is that this is telling websites that your Pre is really an iPhone. So instead of getting them to give webOS the same treatment as iPhones, you're telling them they really don't need to do anything for webOS since all their mobile traffic is coming from iPhones anyway. If everybody used this hack, all Pres would show up as iPhones in statistics and you'll soon see news proving with visitor statistics that absolutely nobody is using a Palm Pre and that even more people have adopted the iPhone.
    Ah...no. By this reasoning, the only significant browser that would show up in traffic statistics would be "Mozilla", since IE, Firefox and Safari all have user agents that start that way.

Those browsers do this to assert compatibility with a set of capabilities originating in that browser. All those browsers report their real identity later in the user agent string...as will the Pre if you use this patch.

All this patch does is start by asserting "I can handle Mozilla stuff", then says "I can handle an iPhone-optimized stuff too", and finally, correctly, identifies itself as running on a specific version of WebOS and lists which particular WebOS phone model you're using.

While your objection is well intentioned, and I agree that it is in our best interest for our WebOS phones to show up in site traffic statistics, they will do so whether you install this patch or not.

The author of the patch explains this here, but check for yourself - install the patch, then visit this site and it'll echo your user agent back to you so that you can verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    How successful has that been? While I don't personally use this patch, I can understand how some Pre users may want a good web interface now without waiting for web developers to get around to making changes.
    In my case, pretty successful. Every website that I have contacted, including my former University, has changed a few lines in the JavaScript code to send WebOS the right page. They have thanked me for letting them know too.
    I did read in another thread that using this patch actually caused a few issues with a couple other pages. As near as I can tell this is not switchable, which is why I haven't installed it yet.

I'd like to see it be switchable on the fly so it can be turned off on pages that don't have the issue.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    I did read in another thread that using this patch actually caused a few issues with a couple other pages. As near as I can tell this is not switchable, which is why I haven't installed it yet.

I'd like to see it be switchable on the fly so it can be turned off on pages that don't have the issue.
    Switchable would be great especially after we get flash as right now with the spoof I am getting the the nasty iphone flash notice
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    words
    Oh wow. Thank you for educating me, that's really interesting. I'm going to test it out later, but from a little research it would appear that you're absolutely right. If the string actually tells people it's a Pre their traffic is coming from and that that Pre is only compatible with iPhone web pages, then my objections were unfounded and I take everything I said back.

The thing is that "iPhone spoof" doesn't sound like it's just saying "OK, I can handle iPhone-optimized pages"; "iPhone spoof" sounds like it's manipulating the string that the browser sends to look just like it's an iPhone. Hence spoof. If what you said is true, then the tweak is a confusing misnomer. Should be called iPhone mobile web compatibility patch or something...

midmofan raises an interesting question though: what is that patch going to do once Flash arrives? Just pledging compatibility to iPhone-optimized pages doesn't sound like it would compromise webOS' compatibility with flash. What "nasty iphone flash notice" are you speaking of? Because if it's not the blue lego but something iPhone specific, that would indicate that the website does, indeed, think my handset is an iPhone, not only making what I said earlier true but also actually crippling the functionality of my device.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I had thought about adding the iphone spoof but won't now because of the reasons outlined in this thread. I am definitely a webOS fan, I want to generally do things that help its progress, not potentially hinder it.

And by the way. this:

Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    Lattitude won't work on the Pre unless the spoof agent is installed.
    is not true. Latitude works on my phone just fine currently without the iphone spoof.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I agree that this patch does more harm than good for the Pre in the long term. It creates false analytic numbers. But I also see how the idea behind the patch is a useful one. If it had a means of turning it on & off when you need it, that would be the ticket.
    The Saint
    I'm with you guys. All this does is give them more confidence to ignore other platforms. Damn... Never knew this board was this mature.
  16.    #16  
    Hey, I agree with you guys but why didn't Palm code the browser so that it would work just fine with existing web designs? I don't have the time to contact every website that I want to visit for a tidbit of information. Webmasters shouldn't have to code for every type of OS or browser that comes along....I know I wouldn't. There should be standard for all browsers.

My apologies for broadening the knowledge but Palm can fix it or I'll keep taking the shortcut by spoofing as needed.

I thought this was what homebrew was about...standardizing things that Palm didn't. If 1.4 or some future update provides a fix....I will be glad to drop all of the patches as I am sure the phone and smart parts would be more stable...and much easier for official updates.
  17.    #17  
    You can find iPhone user spoof agent under "Tools" "Tweaks" "System Mods" (see lower right corner of the list) in webosquickinstall. The tweak has a warning that some Sprint pages may not display properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    Hey, I agree with you guys but why didn't Palm code the browser so that it would work just fine with existing web designs? I don't have the time to contact every website that I want to visit for a tidbit of information. Webmasters shouldn't have to code for every type of OS or browser that comes along....I know I wouldn't. There should be standard for all browsers.
    They did. The browser in the Pre is perfectly capable of rendering any valid HTML page.

The problem arises when certain websites attempt to enable certain features (or a different layout) for users of particular mobile browsers by way of detecting the agent string. Sometimes they detect Android and iPhone, but not WebOS even though they are all using almost identical Webkit browsers.

But the standard that you refer to is called HTML/CSS and is fully supported by the Palm browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    midmofan raises an interesting question though: what is that patch going to do once Flash arrives? Just pledging compatibility to iPhone-optimized pages doesn't sound like it would compromise webOS' compatibility with flash. What "nasty iphone flash notice" are you speaking of? Because if it's not the blue lego but something iPhone specific, that would indicate that the website does, indeed, think my handset is an iPhone, not only making what I said earlier true but also actually crippling the functionality of my device.
    At one point when you hit on a Flash link with the I-phone (at least you did, not sure if still doing it) you got a little message taking a shot at apple for not supporting flash. On the other hand, with webos you got a little notice saying, basically, coming soon.
    Lattitude works fine without the iPhone spoof. Search the forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast