Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Just a quick FYI the spoof allows both iphone specific pages to be displayed on the Pre as well as WebOS specific sites for instance.

The WebOS MLB app will only work if it detects the Pre's user agent If u try the WebOS site with an iphone user agent then the site does not work. BUT with the current version of the spoof MLB will see the Pre as a Pre and allow the MLB WebOS site to load. Yet other sites will load an iphone optimized page. The current user agent spoof is a blend of both iphone, webos and regualr user agent strings.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Is anyone having trouble installing this app on the new verizon pixi plus? When i try to install i get an error.
    I don't have time to contact websites either and having users install patches is asking a bit much for some not tech individuals. There is definitely a race for each platform to be viable on the web. Dude, Palm needs to step it up.
    So far, for the very small print web sites.... Google News often being one of them.... I just orient the pre to landscape, and the print is large enough to read, although, of course, more scrolling is necessary to read the article.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    this may sound like an extreme ****** thing to do but I took the spoof off becuase I don't to see the next web report on engadget or this site saying iphone usage is up 50% and the WebOS is falling
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berniepre View Post
    So far, for the very small print web sites.... Google News often being one of them.... I just orient the pre to landscape, and the print is large enough to read, although, of course, more scrolling is necessary to read the article.
    You can fix this problem by following the directions in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...wport-fix.html

It works great!
    everyone who's complaining read this
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    ah...no. By this reasoning, the only significant browser that would show up in traffic statistics would be "mozilla", since ie, firefox and safari all have user agents that start that way.

Those browsers do this to assert compatibility with a set of capabilities originating in that browser. All those browsers report their real identity later in the user agent string...as will the pre if you use this patch.

All this patch does is start by asserting "i can handle mozilla stuff", then says "i can handle an iphone-optimized stuff too", and finally, correctly, identifies itself as running on a specific version of webos and lists which particular webos phone model you're using.

While your objection is well intentioned, and i agree that it is in our best interest for our webos phones to show up in site traffic statistics, they will do so whether you install this patch or not.

The author of the patch explains this here, but check for yourself - install the patch, then visit this site and it'll echo your user agent back to you so that you can verify.
    I added the user agent spoof and suddenly the engadget app would not load, I removed it and it works just fine. Anyone else having any such issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I don't have time to contact websites either and having users install patches is asking a bit much for some not tech individuals. There is definitely a race for each platform to be viable on the web. Dude, Palm needs to step it up.
    You really do not have to be techy at all to install patches. It is, I think this is probably the best way to say it "dead nuts easy". If someone can go online and use a computer, they can easily use preware and patches. If not, they may not have the mental apptitude for any smartphone, Pre, Android, iPhone, whatever.

As far as Palm stepping up the browser, I'd say they're pretty well up there. It does full HTML and, as soon as we have flash, will deliver pretty much the same web that your computer does. Unless you have an outdated browser. This really does seem to be a case of those designing the websites either needing to make a small change, or us just going to the non-mobile version. I know facebook, for one, works better on it's regular site than the "x.facebook" site.

Just my two cents.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Will this be put on Preware?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Has anyone installed on pixi plus 1.3.5?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    when will palm give us more browser options?
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    when will palm give us more browser options?
    Never. Palm won't release multiple browsers for their phones.

What you probably want to know is "when will other companies release ports of their browsers like Opera for webOS", and there aren't even rumours around to answer.

Do you think the browser we have now is bad? Because I think it's pretty good, with the only problem being how sometimes the page seems to load about 90% in an instant and then just hangs there for a second before you can actually see the page. That calls for an update, not an alternative browser. Although I agree that it would be great to have the OPTION to have Opera or Chrome or whatever.
    I haven't used the spoof, but I've been so tempted. I'll try to remain patient and see what happens for/with WebOS.
    There were rumblings of an actual Firefox browser coming to WebOS, but actually Mozilla is working with developers on their 'Weave Sync' project and WebOS is included. Weave Sync isn't a browser, but a way to sync bookmarks, history, passwords, and tabs across multiple browsers/computers. Not sure how well this will work considering lag issues, but it's great to see companies like Mozilla including WebOS in project development!
    I dunno if everyone has heard about Google Buzz yet, but I just tried going to buzz.google.com from my Pre and it redirects me to a help page with the iPhone user agent spoof enabled... No surprise that Google is smarter than most other mobile webpages.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12