1.    #1  
    Woke up this am with my Pre wildly switching back and forth between vibrate and sound, the screen flashing features not working and could not shut it off. Rushed it to the Sprint emergency phone hospital where I was amazed to see water coming out of the back!! They told me sorry - get a new one thru insurance. Did not really want to part with that $100 deductible. Was trying to figure out how in the world I could possibly gotten water inside of it since I am so careful with it. My wife reminded me that I leave it in my bathrobe and I like hot showers........and hot showers produce steam.........
    After arriving home I vaguely remember a post (I think here) that mentioned about removing battery and then placing it upside down in a container of rice. Did that and it is now working!! ........at least for now if no corrosion has taken place. My thanks to the unknown person who saved my Pre. Sidenote: the girl at the counter also had a Pre and every time it rang the email notification went off I kept reaching for mine.......
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Woke up this am with my Pre wildly switching back and forth between vibrate and sound, the screen flashing features not working and could not shut it off. Rushed it to the Sprint emergency phone hospital where I was amazed to see water coming out of the back!! They told me sorry - get a new one thru insurance. Did not really want to part with that $100 deductible. Was trying to figure out how in the world I could possibly gotten water inside of it since I am so careful with it. My wife reminded me that I leave it in my bathrobe and I like hot showers........and hot showers produce steam.........
    After arriving home I vaguely remember a post (I think here) that mentioned about removing battery and then placing it upside down in a container of rice. Did that and it is now working!! ........at least for now if no corrosion has taken place. My thanks to the unknown person who saved my Pre. Sidenote: the girl at the counter also had a Pre and every time it rang the email notification went off I kept reaching for mine.......
    You're pretty lucky, go play the lottery or something while you're on this road :P

also, was the girl cute?
  3.    #3  
    Very!
    maybe your hair will come back now
    How do people have time to wear bathrobes?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyGrail View Post
    How do people have time to wear bathrobes?
    I usually put mine on right after I remove my smoking jacket
    Luckily, I don't think the repair techs make any notes when they see water damaged Pres. I could be wrong here, and I'm happy for people to tell me they think otherwise.

I've had them notice moisture inside my Pre's battery areas (that was there just from sweat when wearing a heavy winter jacket). Usually I just take this as "I'm too busy to research the real power or volume button issues your Pre is having". I'm not really smart enough to know what a really water damaged Pre is either. Usually I take this to mean to bring it back later and not to forget to make sure it looks clean inside before I give it to them.

Above said, are two moisture sensors (one on the top and bottom halves of the slider). I forget exactly where these are, and I don't think most repair techs know where to look for these anyway.

In the case of your Pre (and some other water damaged ones that we're able to save), we should get people to report back about how long they last. My son's laptop had a water spill that eventually corroded the motherboard several months after it had dried. The repair shop was good when I brought them in a clean/new motherboard that I bought on eBay. I'd really like to know if some of the failures we are seeing on aging Pre hardware are due to prior water damage leading to corroded circuit boards. I don't have the guts to ever take my Pre apart beyond the battery, but if anyone else is capable of monitoring such damage, it would be really good info to share here on PreCentral.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    i use mine very rarely but i do use it lol but not a lot of time too .lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9.    #9  
    I had the same thought about water damage on aging Pre's. Think I will let it take a "rice sauna" about once a month. As far as the hair goes: if that were true I would go and submerge it in a bucket of water right now!!