Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I posted this in the droid forums also, since after reading this you will see it's pretty obvious Verizon didn't want to sell me a phone today. Even after reflecting on today's happenings I will still probably get the Pre..anyways on with the post!

I went into a Verizon store planning on buying a new phone. I narrowed down my choices to two phones. The Palm Pre and the Droid. I am coming from a touch pro 2 Windows Mobile device that I have spent so many wasted hours trying to customize to my liking without being truly satisfied...I'm sick of wasting so much time messing with a phone trying to get it perfect if you know what I mean.

I told myself that the Palm Pre was the phone for me since i wouldn't spend so much of my time trying to customize it since there are only so many things you can do to it..(maybe a better way of saying this is that it is a great phone out of the box?) Anyway, yes i had heard of the somewhat cheapish build quality and that the advertising campaign is focused towards woman, but I ignored all that and told myself that it would be the phone for me but that I would try the Droid out first just to make sure the Pre was THE ONE...

So I take my girlfriend with me, and the first thing she says when she saw I was looking at the Palm Pre was "Isn't that a girls phone?"...well that kinda ****ed me off but I ignored her and searched out for a Verizon representative. He also echoed the same thoughts calling the Pre a girls phone..*******. My girlfriend later tells me she saw the "Pre is for mom" add on TV before we left for the verizon store.

By now I was questioning my man hood and looking at the droid as an alternative. I had previously thought about waiting for the nexus one, but damn it I wanted a new phone now so I thought I would check out the droid since so many of my friends seem to really like it. The Verizon dude told me the droid was a bad phone because so many people had come in complaining about the device its self dropping calls. He said if you make a lot of phone calls it's a horrible device. This made me realize he probably isn't on commission since he obviously wasn't trying to sell me a phone...

So anyway it kinda disconcerning that my representative thought that the Pre is for women only, who knows how many other representatives think the same way as this guy? Why did Verizon decide that this was the phone to market towards women?
    What it boils down to: Does anyone else's opinion other than yours really matter? If you like the Pre and think that's the phone for you then your decision should be obvious. Put your pride aside ... it's just a phone.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What it boils down to: Does anyone else's opinion other than yours really matter? If you like the Pre and think that's the phone for you then your decision should be obvious. Put your pride aside ... it's just a phone.
    Yep I agree with you, just kinda sucks they have it marketed towards women...I live with my girlfriend so she would remind me of that. I'm just wondering how many other Male potential Pre owners have decided not to buy it because of the Ads.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    yeah, that really sucks. i think palm made a huge mistake letting verizon put out those mom phone ads. the pre already has a kinda girly phone factor i guess, all rounded, smooth, small and shiny. i guess they thought this would cater to a new smartphone demographic - women and mothers. but it will probably alienate a lot of men in the process. not to mention teenagers and young people who do not want to own "a phone for mom."
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    thats only with verizon commercials its like they want to make it look like a ***** phone while you have the cool droid phones over here looking all manly
    who cares the pre is amazing
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    i agree, don't know who came up with that ad campaign but it's really dumb. i ordered my plus on launch day and love it. i think it's the best phone verizon has. i showed it to a friend at work who got a BB tour when they came out and he is impressed with it. kinda wishes he had waited to upgrade.
    Though I agree with buying the phone you like, marketing affects most of us. I admit I'm one of those that thinks a phone has to be cool on the inside and outside. Thankfully for me the Pre fits both of those categories

If I were in the OPs shoes I might have felt the same though.

PS..............that VZ rep sucks. They should have been encouraging you to buy a phone, not discouraging you. That's their job.
    it's Roger McNamee's fault...remember he made such a big deal about the mirror to Kara Swisher?
    That is kinda sad for verison. Did you get the Pre though and are you satisfied?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Are the ads really directed towards mothers or women though? It says its the first smart phone smart enough to keep up with mom, but that doesn't necessarily mean its just for your mom. When the Pre comes crashing in the ad I think its pretty kool, esp how they show WebOS in action. I guess people just get caught on that ONE line and automatically label it a womans phone.

I think verizon should come out with a couple diff ads with diff angles before this goes to far and permanently cements the Pre as a "girly" phone.

I for one don't care because I love my Pre and would buy it 10 times over but I would like it to be marketed to a larger crowd so it has more of chance of being successful. I intend on being a WebOS user for as long as its around and I hope its for a LONG time.
    Actually almost every commercial I've seen whether it's rhe creepy girl or even the sprint commercial with the tween who had the pre is marketed towards women. Like a previous poster was saying you need to get the best phone for you and not what their markeying department thinks is best for you.

but yeah it does suuck
  12. JSX
    Quote Originally Posted by elcartel View Post
    Are the ads really directed towards mothers or women though? It says its the first smart phone smart enough to keep up with mom, but that doesn't necessarily mean its just for your mom. When the Pre comes crashing in the ad I think its pretty kool, esp how they show WebOS in action. I guess people just get caught on that ONE line and automatically label it a womans phone.
    Well its kinda like Secret deodorant saying its strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. The ad campaign is stupid, but not as stupid as palm pre girl acting high in commercials and scaring people. :KanyeShrug:
    Hey Go on ebay order skins (you get 3 with matching wall paper) get them with skulls and you have a mans phone. Or go on zagg and get a skin that you can design yourself (a sexy photo of your girlfriend) once again a mans phone.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    Well its kinda like Secret deodorant saying its strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. The ad campaign is stupid, but not as stupid as palm pre girl acting high in commercials and scaring people. :KanyeShrug:
    Lol palm Pre commercials in the US are doomed to suck forever. I wonder what kind of ads verizon they will have for the Pixi though.
    Quote Originally Posted by elcartel View Post

I think verizon should come out with a couple diff ads with diff angles before this goes to far and permanently cements the Pre as a "girly" phone.
    I was thinking the same. An add for dad, teens, and the businessman.
    LOL. Just ask em why they think its a girl's phone. Surely it's not because of a silly commercial trying to take advantage of valentine's and mother's day?

That said, it's just another roadblock thrown in front of the Pre by Palm (more likely) or Verizon...not a competitor.

Seriously, just show off the device and get out of the way and see what sticks. No reason to overthink, target a demographic, or get too creative. I still get "i got an iphone because it can browse the net and play music" from people who have no clue the Pre can as well. That was at a recent poker game from some guy. After i mentioned the Pre, he said "well i wanted a touch screen"
    it doesnt bother me, do any of you guys watch Heroes, my boy HRG uses the palm pre, and he is a mans man. so whatever.
    Love or hate Apple, their marketing is spot on. It is simple and just shows what the device can do. Palm has been thinking way to hard. They need to just keep it simple like Apple and they would be fine.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i have a ***** and a pre... It is not for woman!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast