Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Verizon really has to put out a new commercial directed towards men before it's too late and the Pre is permamently associated as a women's phone.
    As opposed to when Palm named the sibling phone the Pixi or had a spaced out lady do all of their commercials?

I don't even care about the "associated with women angle". I care about Palm showing off WebOS when it is still unique and a real differentiator. Eight months and counting, and there still has YET to be a commercial that shows off WebOS in closeup substantially like the iPhone or Droid commercials.

People talk about Verizon spending 100 million on ads to make the Droid a success, but the money only makes the ads repeat more. They have to be effective for it to work, and if they aren't effective, then showing them more often has no effect. But Verizon showed the phone in closeup, talked about what it did, and specifically what it did that other phones don't.

This is for almost all of a 30-second ad. By contrast, these new Verizon spots barely use 10 of the thirty seconds to show off the phone. I don't think WebOS 1.x will ever have an effective ad through any carrier at this rate. But we'll see in a little over a month when Palm announces Q3 2010 earnings.
    I'm sure that all of the Verizon mothers are really excited to see what Palm announces soon at the Game Developer's Conference! Clearly Palm put all of that effort into enabling 3D games just so they could lock down the older female demographic

Here is what is really happening: Valentine's Day is coming up and Verizon is trying to capitalize on that. There will be other commercials, and clearly Palm isn't trying to marginalize themselves or they wouldn't be working on games etc.
    I should also say that I think the current Verizon ads are great (but they won't be the only ones!).
    The Official Palm Blog: Are you ready for some football?

Here's some new content on the official Palm blog that is clearly meant for the female audience that some of you seem to think Palm has been targeting from the beginning

In conclusion, you're wrong. Be secure in your manhood. The Pre is meant for everyone.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
    ...I live with my girlfriend so she would remind me of that.

You being serious? I suggest you and your girlfriend go back to Verizon and pick up a Pre Plus. If she says anything about the phone being for girls, tell her to shut up—you didn't ask her opinion. Then, if she still won't shut up, tell her you thought mustaches were for guys. Since you won't be getting any for a while, go out with your buddies and order a shot of whiskey with every beer you get.

She'll get over it.
    I love my girlie phone, I am secure in my manhood tho... Plus the ladies love playing with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzld View Post
    You being serious? I suggest you and your girlfriend go back to Verizon and pick up a Pre Plus. If she says anything about the phone being for girls, tell her to shut up—you didn't ask her opinion. Then, if she still won't shut up, tell her you thought mustaches were for guys. Since you won't be getting any for a while, go out with your buddies and order a shot of whiskey with every beer you get.

She'll get over it.
    Well-done.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    lol, I'm a professional boxer and a pipe welder, i'm about as guy as they come, and I don't see nothin girly about my pre. You should of told him his pretty verizon outfit was as girly as it gets. The pre is sleek, like a sexy woman that fits in ur pocket, nothin girly about that....
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    So, i had a similar experience as the OP.

1) went to VZW store on 1/25 (release of prep plus of course). and really did a ton of research on all the smartphones VZW had to offer.

2) guy tried to talk me out of buying it in the store and said to just get it online. i said, look man, it's either a $100 Gift Card or 100 bucks mail in rebate. i want the phone today!

3) guy tried again about 3 more times to tell me to get it online instead but he'll sell me the touchstone charger from the store, but said, i may want a droid instead (like 3 times).

4) Dude told me the reason he doesn't want to sell it to me is because if i return it, they get hammered in the commission and yelled at for not selling the right device to the customer.

5) had the gps issue, and some hardware issues with the phone, and returned it to exchange for another pre plus, the tech service desk said, why don't you exchange it for a droid? (are you kidding me?)

6) called VZW tech support 611, again about the gps issues on this "new" phone, he said, how many apps do you have? about 1000, i said, yeah, about 1100... he said, dude, i have a droid, just get a droid, it's still under 30 days. I said, what is it with you guys and the droid? my god! what is wrong with vzw?

7) palm support, called them about gps issue, they had no idea what i was talking about and they said... buy a droid instead.. (kidding). but they had no clue what was up with gps.

8) that's it. i guess the $$ margin on the pre is pretty slim for VZW compared to the droid, because VZW has no interest in pushing this product. but no, it's not a chick phone, and it is a great OS especially after the patches, and cranking it to 600mhz.

I'm a computer consultant, and have been for a very very long time, and i'm pretty techy, and i love this phone. it's smooth, and the best part, multi tasks like a mofo.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Seems to me that Verizon is trying to attack the iPhone by positioning the Droid for macho types and the Pre Plus for women. I'm sure they'll later position the Pixi Plus as the ideal phone for the teen age texter.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    let me start off by saying I love my pre and doesn't really matter what other people say.

so a couple of months before the pre plus came out with Verizon, a buddy of mine saw my pre and he was blown away by webOS and then he gives me the pre back and says "that's a cute lil phone". That's when I realized it was infact a cute lil phone. Small, rounded, shiny...

and then pre plus comes out and I waited and waited to see what kind of ad campaign Verizon comes up with. After all verizon did come up with the coolest ad campaign for a phone that I have seen in a while. The droid had iPhone type of hype when it was released.

then they come out with the mom ads for the pre plus. Palm should have some control over how the carriers market their products. I mean the phone was unofficially a girlie phone before the pre plus ads. Now it's a girlie phone and officially a mommy phone too.

anyways I will put my pre up against any phone out there right now. Doesn't matter what the pre looks like it will eat any other phone alive.
    The Pre (Plus) is more of a unisex device, although honestly I think slightly more aimed at a man at least in Palm's point of view. The Pixi is more aimed toward females and hipsters. :P

You know bringing this up, how well do women type on the Pre? I'm thinking more specifically those that get the extravagant manicures.
    LEBOWSKI: What.. What, makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?

DUDE: Dude.

LEBOWSKI: Huh?

DUDE: I don't know, sir.

LEBOWSKI: Is it... is it, being prepared to do the right thing? Whatever the price? Isn't that what makes a man?

DUDE: Sure. That and a pair of testicles.

note, cell phone advertising is not part of this definition

also, they gave the Dude a beeper.
    As a woman, I find it very entertaining to listen to all you men tell me what phone is a woman's phone and what phone is a man's phone. I have a Pre. I will not own a Pixi, b/c of the lower hardware specs, smaller, dimmer screen, lesser camera, lack of 3D gaming...I could go on. I patch, tweak and troubleshoot my phone, and have been able to help others on this forum, both male and female, do the same. Please stop putting people (and their phone choices) into boxes. To the OP: get the phone you like the most, that does what you want a phone to do, regardless of other people's opinions of what constitutes a "manly" or "girlie" phone.

Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Nice to see a woman who can think for her self, no wonder why she got a Pre.

I am too surprised that Verizon is marketing it the way they are. Linux and open source are geek things not usually associated to moms.

It all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish with your phone. The list of things that are important is different for everyone. Organize your list and prioritize it then check to see how well each phone can support that list and if there is going to be a way to fix it if it doesn't support it. At least with the Pre what ever you want to do can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I love my girlie phone, I am secure in my manhood tho... Plus the ladies love playing with it
    with your manhood?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I will say one thing, why is that women are ok doing something considered "manly," but men refuse to do any "girly." Very odd pattern if you ask me.

I like my pre, and I will continue to like my pre. And I will continue to enjoy going to Ikea, and cooking, and going shopping, and spending time with my G/F, and all the while be quite sure that I am still a man...jeez....
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Huh?
    This is hilarious. It sucks that your gf would taunt you about a phone choice. Wth?
    Yeah, Verizon chose to push the Pre to the female market. Reality is, techie stuff like the Pre (and computers, high end stereos, on and on and on) are dominated by male buyers. I kinda think its cool that Verizon made an effort to get the half of the public that generally gets no tech marketed to them beyond pink iPods to buy a great smartphone. I like seeing women with powerful, useful stuff.........and it annoys me to no end when a female computer owner calls me with a problem, and it turns out it's just underpowered hardware that's having troubles running a good game.......but she bought it because the salesman was good at selling style over function.

Carry your Pre, love it, and the next time some other guy calls you a sissy for using a girl's phone, remind them that you're not only man enough to do that in the first place, you're also smart enough to carry a phone that powerful........and remind him that he barely knows how to use his "manly" flip phone.

Oh, I had two friends buy the Droid. One already returned it for something else, and the other is waiting for tax money so he can buy a Pre and put his Droid on eBay. Shoddy phone.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast