Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    If you cant activate in 3G mode, go somewhere with crappy reception so that it switches to 2G.
    Hi Andreas
    OK use 2G. But please tell me why I can't use 3G for activation.

Please keep good ideas coming.
    //Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    Hi Andreas
    OK use 2G. But please tell me why I can't use 3G for activation.

Please keep good ideas coming.
    //Beca
    The problem relates to the shared 3G network of Telia and Tele2.
    To get data traffic working in 3G on Telia you need to set the device to allow roaming. However, you cant access these or the manual 2G settings until after activation so its a bit of a moment 22. Atleast this used to be case on earlier versions of WebOS, maybe Tomi has another suggestion?

Anyway, as long as you are in 3G without roaming activated the data traffic wont work and hence you wont be able to send the activation.

Instead we force the Pre into 2G mode by taking it to a place with crappy 3G reception. Once it gets to zero bars of 3G coverage it will auto switch to 2G and once in 2G you can send the activation.

Tomi, can that swap to 2G really be done on a device running a early version of WebOS? I seem to remember that you can't access any other settings, not even reach the dialer as there is just a emergency call button availabe when runnnig WebOS 1.1.2 and a 1.1.3?
    Last edited by Andreas; 02/20/2010 at 04:27 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Tomi, can that swap to 2G really be done on a device running a early version of WebOS? I seem to remember that you can't access any other settings, not even reach the dialer as there is just a emergency call button available when runnnig WebOS 1.1.2 and a 1.1.3?
    You can on 1.3.1 or later. So you'll be able to doctor to 1.3.1 or later before creating a profile and then activate over 3G.

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I just found it easier to pop down to the cellar, wait few secs for it to switch into 2G, activate and then go back up again. But I guess this procedure can be a hard time if you live in a strong reception area.
    Sorry for disturbing your discussion here, but from where have all of you bought your Pre:s? I can't find any thread regarding buying a Palm Pre.
    I bought mine in Bocholt, Germany when I was there visiting the parents of my finacée. Some people have bought them from Expansys online (I think) and then there are forum members that sell as well, and who in turn buy them in country. At least I think that's it.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    btw, used ones on eBay are dirt cheap.
    one went for € 180,-- one or two weeks ago, and I got mine for € 230,--
    still cheap considering the € 480,-- retail price (same as the Milestone, btw.)
    I just successfully updated apps from the app catalogue. I have not been able to do that before. One ore two were installed from the app catalogue on 1.3.1 and the others with WOSQI as detailed in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2238933

I'm now contemplating whether to wait for the 1.4 update or doctor to 1.4.

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I dont dare to doctor it to 1.4.

I did it on 1.3.5.2 in an effort to get the App Catalog back but none of the installed apps was pushed back from backup. Everything else came back with the backup though.
    I dont dare to doctor it to 1.4.

I did it on 1.3.5.2 in an effort to get the App Catalog back but none of the installed apps was pushed back from backup.
    That seems to be the case with 1.4 too. I just doctored and no apps.

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    That seems to be the case with 1.4 too. I just doctored and no apps.
    Isnt it great, they take your 500 euros, give you a unlocked device and a few months later start restricting things.

Love the device but hate the way we get treated.
    I'm guessing none of us Swedes have managed to get hold 1.4 yet then?
    I'm running 1.4. Ran the update-program at about 11 or 12 (swedish time) and it said 1.4 was available. About the same amount of apps (143 now). 1.4 look nice btw. I'm going to make a complete backup (as soon as I figure out how, terminal doesn't work in 1.4 so I don't now how to save the PalmDatase) and then make a full erase, doctor it, create a brand new profile with my telia mobile broadband sim and see what happens.
    Just got it, currently installing. Let's see if it works
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Just got my brand new Pre. Activated in Spain. Updated to 1.4. Made a full reset. Activated while roaming, were given the choice do it while roaming or to wait. Have apps in the cataloge, wait got to go to card view to look how many apps there is awilable, 237 apps including NFS Gratis. In Spanish but who cares. Typing on the pre is easy. I have newer used a keyboard like this before and i'm writing all this with ease. Will be playing NFS later, downloading right now! .I'm so pleased with this Pre . Zooming is a breeze. Wold like to se follow as you type in the future. Add me to the unofficial Pre family Beca using Telia with 237 apps listed in the cataloge.
    //Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    Just got my brand new Pre. Activated in Spain. (...) Made a full reset. Activated while roaming, were given the choice do it while roaming or to wait. Have apps in the cataloge, wait got to go to card view to look how many apps there is awilable, 237 apps including NFS Gratis. In Spanish but who cares.
    So it could be that it's the /first/ creation of a palm profile on a given device that decides what apps you get, or what? That would be pretty screwed up...

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    So it could be that it's the /first/ creation of a palm profile on a given device that decides what apps you get, or what? That would be pretty screwed up...
    I think beca is still running on the profile that the seller created for him, or?
    I think beca is still running on the profile that the seller created for him, or?
    I read it as he created a new one. "activated while roaming" could mean anything...
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Hi
    Just looked at my palm profile, it still says Spain and spanish. So I guess I have not created an entierly new profil rather than just activating whit the one created in spain.
    Can i get around this problem using same email adress? (Setting up a new profile that says Sweden and uk/english)
    //Beca
    Hi all

Ordered my Palm Pre from Expansys yesterday. Will check these threads very carefully when starting it up. Hopefully all will work well.

As a soon-to-be Palm Pre-owner, a friend compared me with those japanese soldiers left on remote islands, still struggling for a cause that is long gone. (no offense to all you japanese...)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast