Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have had my dumb phone for long enough at this point. I am wanting to switch to a pre. Well I am unsure if I should go with Verizon or Sprint. What are each of their lowest price points?

The upgraded pre on Verizon does interest me but I am unsure it is worth the price difference. I know Verizon will end up costing me more, but how much more per month ( not over the full contract)

And does verizon have access to the whole catalog?

Major issue is I hear people have connection issues around my area with sprint
    Rather than us telling you every possible scenario and the corresponding extra charges Verizon might have over Sprint, perhaps you can give us some basic info on what you expect you might need. Are you single, attached, or a family? Do you have friends who text a lot. etc.? What carrier do you currently have? Do you know people who frequent your work, school, or other places that can tell you what the coverage is like on both Sprint and Verizon? Do you ski, hike and/or camp? If so, do want to have coverage in these areas?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Rather than us telling you every possible scenario and the corresponding extra charges Verizon might have over Sprint, perhaps you can give us some basic info on what you expect you might need. Are you single, attached, or a family? Do you have friends who text a lot. etc.? What carrier do you currently have? Do you know people who frequent your work, school, or other places that can tell you what the coverage is like on both Sprint and Verizon? Do you ski, hike and/or camp? If so, do want to have coverage in these areas?
    @Sudoer:

You forgot to ask the OP if they like moonlight strolls on the beach after gazing at a beautiful sunset.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrick View Post
    So I have had my dumb phone for long enough at this point. I am wanting to switch to a pre. Well I am unsure if I should go with Verizon or Sprint. What are each of their lowest price points?

The upgraded pre on Verizon does interest me but I am unsure it is worth the price difference. I know Verizon will end up costing me more, but how much more per month ( not over the full contract)

And does verizon have access to the whole catalog?

Major issue is I hear people have connection issues around my area with sprint
    Sprint....by far. Welcome
    Sprint, mostly everyone will say this.
    They have great services, and the prices are reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    @Sudoer:

You forgot to ask the OP if they like moonlight strolls on the beach after gazing at a beautiful sunset.
    CheapTrick, Do you like Pina Coladas ...?
    lol...who doesn't like Pina Coladas....aside from the cocktail, Sprint's plan is cheaper for me with my Employer discount. My ATT contract is expiring on the 8th, and I'm porting 5 lines to Sprint Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime. It is at least $100 cheaper than Verizon equivalent plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addyc View Post
    Sprint, mostly everyone will say this.
    They have great services, and the prices are reasonable.
    In absence of other information, I have to agree unless they live somewhere where poor Sprint coverage forces them to roam a lot.
  9.    #9  
    I camp, I love getting drunk and being taken advantage of... I mean I like Pina Coladas. I love moonlight strolls on the beach after gazing at a beautiful sunset. I live on the thumb of Wisconsin, in which people say sprint can be a bit meh. Verizon I hear is better. Do both sprint and verizon offer a 30 day "trial" that if it doesnt end up working you can return it and cancel service. I thought sprint did. I will also probably buy it from the bestbuy in greenbay, Wi for the instant discount. I also will be doing a single plan because everyone else uses wisconsin based cell service which is Cellcom

Anything else you need to know?
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrick View Post
    I camp, I love getting drunk and being taken advantage of... I mean I like Pina Coladas. I love moonlight strolls on the beach after gazing at a beautiful sunset. I live on the thumb of Wisconsin, in which people say sprint can be a bit meh. Verizon I hear is better. Do both sprint and verizon offer a 30 day "trial" that if it doesnt end up working you can return it and cancel service. I thought sprint did. I will also probably buy it from the bestbuy in greenbay, Wi for the instant discount. I also will be doing a single plan because everyone else uses wisconsin based cell service which is Cellcom

Anything else you need to know?
    If you love being taken advantage of, then Verizon usually does a better job of this than Sprint. Yes, Sprint has the 30 day trial. Not sure what Verizon has, but you could try Sprint first and then check out Verizon if Sprint doesn't do what you need. More than likely, the $70 everything data 450 plan on Sprint will meet your needs. The phone won't have data roaming turned on when you get it. I think on Sprint as long as you don't data roam more minutes than in your plan, the roaming is free. If you find that you are roaming a lot, please keep an eye on your usage on Sprint's web site. I'm not exactly sure how the billing for excessive roaming works (other than what I've read from others here on PreCentral).

EDIT: I guess the one last thing to check if you are in rural areas of Wisconsin is whether you have EVDO ("3G") or 1xrtt ("1 or 2 G") data service. 1xrtt will work but will be pretty slow but probably fine for email while camping. You'll want to have 3G most of the time or WiFi at home on a WebOS phone.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Keep in mind that with Verizon's 30 day free trial you only have 2 or 3 days to get your $35 activation fee back!
  12.    #12  
    No worried about activation. Also what is bestbuys policy when getting a phone from them. or neweggs for that matter. Not sure I want to travel over a half n hour to get a phone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    well I am on verizon and have been for a while. Was on sprint a few years ago. The benefits of verizon are a better, more consistent and comprehensive network, especially with 3g (check the map), and better customer service. Also the pre plus is a better phone for almost the same price. I have the cheapest $40 voice plan with $30 for data and $5 for 250 texts. $75 total. Good option if ur not a heavy texter.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    well I am on verizon and have been for a while. Was on sprint a few years ago. The benefits of verizon are a better, more consistent and comprehensive network, especially with 3g (check the map), and better customer service. Also the pre plus is a better phone for almost the same price. I have the cheapest $40 voice plan with $30 for data and $5 for 250 texts. $75 total. Good option if ur not a heavy texter.

And the low end data ( I believe I saw they have 2x unlimited data plans 1 for 30 and the other for 40) plan doesn't hinder the pre at all? Also how many minutes is that and do you have free incoming calls??
    Last edited by CheapTrick; 02/06/2010 at 05:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    yeah the low end data plan is specifically for smartphones. it doesnt hinder the pre in anyway i can tell. i dont know what the higher priced plan offers or why anyone would use it. I get 450 anytime minutes. incoming calls are not free as far as i know, but maybe i am wrong. i never go over my minutes because i use my work phone during the day if Im on the phone at all.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    i pay less money and get more on sprint. $69
    450 minutes to landlines
    unlimited mobile to mobile
    unlimited everything else (data, text)
    oh and on sprint it includes sprint nav, i guess on vzw u gotta pay extra
    ooh and customer service on sprint has been awesome for me. ive recently had my phone headset and usb cord replaced for free. when i went ot pick up my new phone they gave me a 25% discount on a new hard cover.
    sprint is the shiiiit. and we roam on vzw network... boo ya!
    CheapTrick, I've read elsewhere on here that the more expensive Verizon data plan if for people who use Exchange and I think for people who do international calling (not sure about the 2nd). Verizon Pre owners have said that the $30 data plan is all that is needed. Keep in mind, this is in addition to the $70/month for the phone, includes texting only to Verizon phones, and does not include Verizon Navigator. (If you need Navigator, that's another $10/month.) These extra charges are what I meant when I said that Verizon will do a better job of taking advantage of you than Sprint. Sprint you get the same number of minutes plus data included and free Navigator for the $70 base price. If you have a credit union ATM card or passbook that you show when buying your phone, they put you in for a 10% discount so now you are at $67 plus tax/insurance. On Sprint, any incoming or outgoing call to/from other cell phones is free (unless you are out of a Sprint area, or roaming as much as you don't roam). That makes those 450 minutes more like 1000 or more Verizon minutes. The included roaming coverage is pretty good and will be "automatic" and not cost you anything unless you live/work/travel in areas where you are roaming more than you are not. You can order the phone online from Sprint, but the 1/2 hour trip to Best Buy is probably your best option. Best Buy should have both Sprint and Verizon Pre's (call ahead to be sure before making the trip). If you get an honest salesperson, they can likely give you a good indication of how good/poor the coverage is for both Sprint/Verizon customers in your area. I bought a Samsung Sprint phone for my wife at Best Buy here in Boston, and I found their mobile team to be quite capable. I'm suspecting that the Verizon Pre Plus has a slightly more reliable slider than the Sprint Pre, but this is something you can fix by just bending in a tab on the slider rail with a screwdriver to get the same effect. The Verizon Pre Plus has twice the working memory (which is a "Plus" but not totally necessary). You will enjoy a bit more freedom leaving some cards open on the Verizon Pre, but unless you are heavily into 3D games, the memory on the Sprint Pre will be enough to do what you need/want throughout the day. Coming from a dumb phone, you'll be totally floored by WebOS on either Sprint or Verizon. Either Pre is pretty hackable and while you might not be thinking about this at first, once you look at what can be done in Preware, you'll make the small effort to install it on your phone.

The first "surprise" you'll likely have after getting your phone will be that the battery will not last anywhere nearly as long as you want. If you spend most of your time at home, work, or in an office, you'll find you can keep the Pre on the charger most of the time. At home/work/school, you'll find that you use less battery with WiFi turned on. The EVDO radio will still be there for making/taking phone calls but your email and other data will go over the WiFi radio. This works really well. Some people find incoming calls going to voicemail when at home because the EvDO signal is weaker inside of houses. At least on Sprint, if you find yourself in this situation, a call to *2 from the phone, and then pressing "6" will get you to an "account services" rep (who has more lattitude to change your plan if you are at risk or canceling your service). These "retentions" reps can send you a device that acts like a "miniature cell tower in your house" that you hook up to your home internet. Normally the device costs around $149 plus $5/month, but the retentions rep (on Sprint) will usually offer it for free and credit you $5/month for your 24 month contract. Verizon has a similar device for likely a similar list price. I've never read of anyone trying to get one free on Verizon.

I'd recommend that you purchase either just a Sprint Pre or both a Verizon and a Sprint Pre during your first trip to Best Buy. Maybe buy it on Sunday so you can figure out how they work both at home and work within the first two or three days. Don't port your dumb-phone number over until you are sure which carrier you want. During the first day, the batteries will discharge faster than they will after a few days of conditioning. I'd recommend playing with the Pre and running the battery down the first night before putting it on the charger. (Sprint Navigation works really well for this, so take a drive and test that out.) A car charger will keep the Pre charged while using Sprint Navigation. Don't turn Verizon Navigation on if you try two phones out at the same time. The will likely not refund your $10/month charge if you decide in favor of the Sprint phone. Some people have mentioned problems using the GPS with GMaps on Verizon Pre without also having the Verizon Navigator app running at the same time. If you decide to go with Verizon, you should investigate how people are resolving or hacking around that issue. It's not a problem on Sprint. GMaps works without having Sprint Navigator running if you want to use that software.

Hopefully I haven't overwhelmed you or scared you away from the Pre.
    Good luck!
    --
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    @Sudoer:

I prefer Sprinting to strolling, and watching the sun peep over the Verizon is more appealing than a beach sunset.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    wow
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I prefer Sprinting to strolling, and watching the sun peep over the Verizon is more appealing than a beach sunset.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    That's a good one, Parsons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast