1. z21
    If this has been covered somewhere Im sorry but I have searched a ton and cant find any help.

So this coming April Ill be doing some traveling around Europe for about a Month. I was just looking into switching my sprint plan over to international and found that the pre isn't world ready.. duh right.. my question is: Is there any way that I can make my pre work in Europe? Is the European GSM Pre world ready? I would really like to find a way to make this work as my pre would be unbelievably handy for the trip.

any help is appreciated
    Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers. You can't use your Pre in Europe. You need a phone that uses GSM technology.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by z21 View Post
    If this has been covered somewhere Im sorry but I have searched a ton and cant find any help.

So this coming April Ill be doing some traveling around Europe for about a Month. I was just looking into switching my sprint plan over to international and found that the pre isn't world ready.. duh right.. my question is: Is there any way that I can make my pre work in Europe? Is the European GSM Pre world ready? I would really like to find a way to make this work as my pre would be unbelievably handy for the trip.

any help is appreciated
    The GSM Pre is world ready. You will a Sprint International SIM Chip to take advantage of the 40/month unlimited International Data. But your Sprint Pre won't actually work over there(in theory, there are probably some CDMA networks SOMEWHERE in europe). Just keep in mind also that calling through Sprint is mighty expensive, you so might get a local SIM and a dual SIM adapter to allow for seamless switching between the two. Here's one thats website lists compatibility with the Palm Pre: Dual SIM Card - Mobile Dual SIM

Compatibility Page is located here:

Double Carte SIM Adaptateur Platinum 3G HSDPA Palmone Palm-Pre

Hope this helps!
    I don't know in all the 25 countries, but there aren't GSM networks in the classic 18 european countries...
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    The GSM Pre is world ready. You will a Sprint International SIM Chip to take advantage of the 40/month unlimited International Data. But your Sprint Pre won't actually work over there(in theory, there are probably some CDMA networks SOMEWHERE in europe). Just keep in mind also that calling through Sprint is mighty expensive, you so might get a local SIM and a dual SIM adapter to allow for seamless switching between the two. Here's one thats website lists compatibility with the Palm Pre: [url= SIM Card - Mobile Dual SIM[/url]

[url= Carte SIM Adaptateur Platinum 3G HSDPA Palmone Palm-Pre[/url]

Hope this helps!
    Sprint Pre's don't use SIM cards. Sorry OP, but I think you are out of luck.
  6. z21
    The GSM Pre is world ready. You will a Sprint International SIM Chip to take advantage of the 40/month unlimited International Data. But your Sprint Pre won't actually work over there(in theory, there are probably some CDMA networks SOMEWHERE in europe). Just keep in mind also that calling through Sprint is mighty expensive, you so might get a local SIM and a dual SIM adapter to allow for seamless switching between the two. Here's one thats website lists compatibility with the Palm Pre:

Hope this helps!
    So with the gsm pre being world ready,(supporting gsm & cdma networks) if i were to order a gsm pre I should be able to activate it here on sprint.(correct?) Then switch my service to international and use a sprint international sim or a dual sim like you mentioned to get data and voice roaming in europe.?
    No, the GSM Pre supports GSM bands only, and will not work on Sprint. You cannot buy a Pre and use it in both Europe and on Sprint.
  8. z21
    Bummer.. thanks
    idk about europe, i went to israel and it worked just fine, as far as i know they only use GSM too, i was just roaming the entire time, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanTheMan View Post
    idk about europe, i went to israel and it worked just fine, as far as i know they only use GSM too, i was just roaming the entire time, obviously.
    Pelephone operates CDMA in Israel. They launched UMTS last year and stopped all CDMA sales recently. Network will stay-up for another year or so, but ulitmately will be sunset.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
    Pelephone operates CDMA in Israel. They launched UMTS last year and stopped all CDMA sales recently. Network will stay-up for another year or so, but ulitmately will be sunset.
    ohh, thank you for the info, didn't know that.
    Now you're ALL wrong. There is a Sprint International SIM Chip. I've tossed it into an iPhone before. It wont work in the States but it'll work outside the US. It's PURELY for International GSM travel. Theoretically, you should be able to take the SIM Card, tell Sprint that you're traveling and swap it into a GSM Pre.

None of you really read my post obviously and were just assuming I was talking about a CDMA Pre. Either that, or none of you travel and haven't looked into the international options Sprint has to offer.
    Now you're ALL wrong. There is a Sprint International SIM Chip. I've tossed it into an iPhone before. It wont work in the States but it'll work outside the US. It's PURELY for International GSM travel. Theoretically, you should be able to take the SIM Card, tell Sprint that you're traveling and swap it into a GSM Pre.

None of you really read my post obviously and were just assuming I was talking about a CDMA Pre. Either that, or none of you travel and haven't looked into the international options Sprint has to offer.
    But the OP implied that he was talking about a Sprint Pre, therefore CDMA, therefore no place for a Sprint International SIM Chip.

Lighten up, Cindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But the OP implied that he was talking about a Sprint Pre, therefore CDMA, therefore no place for a Sprint International SIM Chip.
    So with the gsm pre being world ready,(supporting gsm & cdma networks) if i were to order a gsm pre I should be able to activate it here on sprint.(correct?) Then switch my service to international and use a sprint international sim or a dual sim like you mentioned to get data and voice roaming in europe.?
    And thats what he replied, and my solution would work. I just don't want him to get discouraged as there are options. Granted, buying a GSM Pre ain't cheap but if he wants it on the go badly enough, it's a solution.

Lighten up, Cindy.
    Irritable mood today is all :P
    Irritable mood today is all :P
    Much better