1.    #1  
    I need it to last through a business day.
    But the Pre lasts longer than my previous Treo 800w.
    First of all ,lithium batteries take a week or two of break in ,to reach their optimum state.
    My trick is to change email settings to manual.
    My screen brightness is turned down,but this has less effect than the email.
    I do about 30minutes to an hour of calls.Perhaps an hour of browsing on internet.Check email 2-3 times.
    After 24 hours my battery will still have 30%.
    I dont use my phone for music ,videos or games if I need my battery to last.
    But I still carry a spare 800w battery just in case.
    I havent used it yet.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Congratulations. Essentially what you are saying is that you use your smartphone mostly as a phone and use very limited data. That is the only way to get that kind of time. Nice about your method is that you can switch to smartphone mode when you want at the expense of battery.

I use a Seido 2600 and use data with little concern for battery.
    cool...when i migrated back to my iPod for my mp3 needs, the battery life got much better. i still love using slacker radio now that the pre got it though.
    yea, my battery would last for more than a day if I didn't use the device at all either :P
    yeah I love these threads.

"My battery lasts forever!"

Then we click it and it's some genius explaining how he doesnt really use the phone and because of that, gasp, the battery lasts longer!

*face palm*
  6.    #6  
    Let me put it this way.
    The battery lasts twice as long as the 800w did.
    I need to use the internet for business on the go.
    Thats my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    yeah I love these threads.

"My battery lasts forever!"

Then we click it and it's some genius explaining how he doesnt really use the phone and because of that, gasp, the battery lasts longer!

*face palm*
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    Let me put it this way.
    The battery lasts twice as long as the 800w did.
    I need to use the internet for business on the go.
    Thats my priority.
    yea don't mind some of the ridiculous comments some people can't see a smartphone past being a multimedia device.
    Quote Originally Posted by illmusic View Post
    yea don't mind some of the ridiculous comments some people can't see a smartphone past being a multimedia device.
    Commenting that making turning your email to manual is like a regular run-of-the-mill phone is saying that it's a multimedia device?
    Rather than insult you, kkagawa, I will commend you on taking the time to get to know your phone and use it for the purposes for which you need it. Congratulations!

I use Quick System Tools to turn on/off GPS, Data, and WiFi for when I need them. Really helps!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I use my pre plus the same way and have had no problems with battery life for a full day use. The first few days for some reason the battery life was horrible, I actually ran dry the first day by about 12 hours. I was worried I'd have to buy a backup battery or return the phone. Now I'm above 50% by the time I go to bed (14 hours). I only check email manually and really it's not a bother, less intrusive really since I don't get so many alerts and get an email about every hour for my combined two accounts. I check it about every hour or two when I'm free. I get about 5 texts a day. Use the internet about 30-90 min total spread out (30% is WIFI the rest is on the network). Use the phone for about 1 hour of use in an average day. I turned down the screen to about a third of the light which is actually better since I use it mostly indoors and don't need it so bright. It's perfectly bright enough and I get less eye strain. I turned off GPS except when I need it which is rare. I don't have a need for MP3's. I use internet medical web sites for work several times a day to look up stuf which is very convenient when there is no computer near or I'm in a conference.
    I use a free program from the app catalog "battery monitor" which was great so I could see how little things made a big difference.
    Making little tweeks like these really helped and I'm very happy with the phone. It is a phone in the end. If I need a computer, I'd rather use a computer. When I need the multimedia it is available on the phone with no problems. Last night my wife wanted to know more about the wine we were having for dinner at a restaurant, I quickly brought it up on the Pre. We looked up the weather and made vacation plans on my pre. It was nice to do it over dinner at the restaurant together. For something more intense get a computer.
    I think this post is actually helpful in that it might get some people to understand that the reason the Pre has less than fabulous battery life is because it's doing so much at once. It seems like a lot of the people coming to the Pre and complaining about battery life are people that are used to having phones that don't do a lot of what the Pre is doing. If you come from a feature phone, you're not using data like with the Pre. If you're coming from a BB, you're probably not using the web nearly as much and you're doing it on a smaller screen. If you're coming from an Iphone, you're doing everything on a bigger screen, but you're not going to be surfing the web or answering e-mail while listening to Pandora. Battery life is a compromise. The more a gadget does, the less its battery will usually last.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I think this post is actually helpful in that it might get some people to understand that the reason the Pre has less than fabulous battery life is because it's doing so much at once. It seems like a lot of the people coming to the Pre and complaining about battery life are people that are used to having phones that don't do a lot of what the Pre is doing. If you come from a feature phone, you're not using data like with the Pre. If you're coming from a BB, you're probably not using the web nearly as much and you're doing it on a smaller screen. If you're coming from an Iphone, you're doing everything on a bigger screen, but you're not going to be surfing the web or answering e-mail while listening to Pandora. Battery life is a compromise. The more a gadget does, the less its battery will usually last.
    +1 Well said!.......except for the burrito part.....jk
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Not ridiculous. You're crippling your phones features needlessly. Instead, you should try to keep the battery topped off when you have access to a charger and bring a spare just in case.

These batteries dont have a set number of times they can discharge and recharge back up.

Instead of crippling your phone you should just disable your EVDO when you absolutely need to save battery.

It's a lot easier to turn it on and off than it is to change settings to gimp your phone.

I mean, everyone at my office charges up at work. Iphone users, HTC, pre and whomever. The BB guys are the only ones who don't. They're the worst off, too because when they get caught empty they dont have chargers to get it back up.

What is it that keeps people from charging their phones at work? From a car? From anywhere?

Anyway...

I'm just ranting. These threads are so dumb. It's always the same.