Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just bought Palm Pre Plus. Had trouble making WiFi connection but did it manually. However, cannot run web browser over WiFi. Able to run web browser when WiFi disabled. Is there a firewall issue (using Trend Micro Internet Security)? Are there other considerations? Help!
    do you connect to a router?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    do you connect to a router?
    Yes, Netgear. WGR614v2 (yeah, it's ancient but it works!).
    are you connected to a router that runs the same supported frequentcies? i had this problem my self and i realized that it was the router i was using tried it at a friends house and had no problems came back home and the problem came back.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    are you connected to a router that runs the same supported frequentcies? i had this problem my self and i realized that it was the router i was using tried it at a friends house and had no problems came back home and the problem came back.
    so what did you do?

router is 802.11 b and g
    Quote Originally Posted by flatwalker44 View Post
    router is 802.11 b and g
    That's fine. The phone is happy with that. Can you explain a bit more on what you mean by "cannot run web browser over WiFI"? Will the app not start, will it not return any data, does it give any errors?

Do you have a computer in the house that also uses the same WIFI access point? Does it get to the internet successfully?
    If you turned on the "Access Control" (MAC-filtering) you need to add your Pre to the list of devices.
    Did you enabled the DHCP Service on the router?

Read the manual
    Last edited by somline; 02/05/2010 at 11:25 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    That's fine. The phone is happy with that. Can you explain a bit more on what you mean by "cannot run web browser over WiFI"? Will the app not start, will it not return any data, does it give any errors?

Do you have a computer in the house that also uses the same WIFI access point? Does it get to the internet successfully?
    After firing up the web launcher, I get an "Unable to load page" response, so I assume the app starts but can't complete. My PC attaches to the wireless router without any problem (as a matter of fact, that's where I got the IP address, subnet and gateway info to manually gonfigure my Pre to attach to the home network, using "ipconfig" from the "cmd" box).
    Well, follow basic wifi troubleshooting. Is your router set up as a dhcp server? Does your Pre get an ip address? Does the Pre say it is connected? As someline points out above, is MAC address filtering turned on for your router?

The fact that you said you got the info from ipconfig insteadof going directly to the router tells me you don't know much about your home wifi network. Do you manage the router or does someone else?
  10.    #10  
    somline - I'm not understanding the manual. I don't know it MAC-filtering is turned on and if it is, how to add the Pre to the list of devices. I have no idea whether DHCP Serice is enables. Any help on quick how-to on these two items? Thanks in advance.
    On Page 3-10 you see how to turn on "Access Control". I would turn it off.
    On Page 6-7 you can see how to use DHCP. Turn on "Use Router as DHCP Server" like on picture.

When this all is done. Use "automatic" settings for Pre and your PC.

Or ask the person who did install the router and config your PC ;-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, follow basic wifi troubleshooting. Is your router set up as a dhcp server? Does your Pre get an ip address? Does the Pre say it is connected? As someline points out above, is MAC address filtering turned on for your router?

The fact that you said you got the info from ipconfig insteadof going directly to the router tells me you don't know much about your home wifi network. Do you manage the router or does someone else?
    unofrtunately, it's me and the router. that's why I came here....
  13.    #13  
    On Page 6-7 you can see how to use DHCP. Turn on "Use Router as DHCP Server" like on picture.

will try that. but asking the person who set it up would be talking to myself and that's rarely a productive conversation ;-)

thanks for your help. will let you know what happens...
  14.    #14  

checked my router settings and Access Control was already turned off and the router was set up as DHCP server, so it was already configured like you suggested. Tried my Pre again with automatic settings and get "IP Configuration Failed". Any other ideas?
    Can you post (or send by pm) the screenshot of your router config as of page 6-7 the DHCP settings?
  16.    #16  
    sure. here it is. thanks in advance. And now I must go to work. will check your reply this evening when I get back from work.

LAN IP Setup

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address . . . 192.168.1.1
    IP Subnet Mask . . . 255.255.255.0
    RIP Direction None
    RIP Version Disabled
    Use Router as DHCP Server (<---the box is checked)
    Starting IP Address . . . 192.168.1.2
    Ending IP Address . . . 192.168.1.51

Address Reservation
    # IP Address Device Name Mac Address
    Try manually configuring the connection on your Pre. Give your Pre an IP address. Use something >51 but <255 (thanks somline). Where it says subnet address put in 255.255.255.0, for Gateway and DNS put in 192.168.1.1.

See if your Pre will work with those settings. Judging by the "IP Configuration Failed" I'm guessing your router is having trouble setting up your Pre via DHCP. Those manually settings should work if this is the issue.
    Last edited by TheInvsbleMan; 02/08/2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Correction in ip address suggestion.
    Unfortunately this looks all well. What is the setup off all other PC's in that network? Maybe you have set some other PC's manual to an ip-adress the router wants to give your palm?
    Dont use fixed IP-Adresses in the range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.51 since this is the range your router want to give other machines. (the .1 is the router itself)

EDIT: (I would use the IPs mentioned by TheInvsbleMan ;-). Use > 51 but < 255. Gatway and DNS is correct.
    Last edited by somline; 02/08/2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Thanks Somline, edited my original post. I'm used to using the lower end of the range for manual addresses on my own network.
    Same here. No problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast