1.    #1  
    I'm looking at making the jump to one of the visual voicemail apps. Should I go with the Visual Voicemail app that uses google or should I go with YouView....and why?
    Application wise, I like YouView. I think it performs better than Visual Voicemail or GDial Pro. But I prefer the backend service of google voice (for Visual Voicemail & GDial Pro) much more than YouMail (for YouView).
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I would recommend the Youview visual mail app. It is more polished and refined. It is a more complete visual voice mail solution. You can download the Vmails to playback later, you have info such as who called, time they called, and how long the message is. You can set customized greetings for each of your callers. Also the transcription service is better, but it is a premium service that you have to pay for monthly @ $1.99 a month. There is also an option to have a text and email notification when you have a voice message. I only have the text notification, since it also tells you if you missed a call. Good for when your phone doesn't ring at all.

If you like google, then you can get the other visual voicemail app, but Youview is a lot more polished and offers a better experience, IMO.
    I agree with "shotyme". YouView is far superior to the Visual Voicemail app and YouView does a much more accurate job at transcribing the voice messages.

The only thing is that YouView's transcriptions are a pay for service and can run you $6.99/month. Another issue I have with YouView is the transcriptions are human edited meaning that someone actually listens to you messages and translates it into text. If you are concerned about privacy or people leave you sensitive info in your messages you may want to think twice about this. Even though they say they have measures in place to protect one's privacy I find it a bit unnerving.

I think Sprint and Palm should come up with a native visual voicemail solution for the Pre. They did it for Android devices and WebOS blows away anything Android is capable of doing. Come on guys (Sprint/Palm) get with the damn program already...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I am using the "Visual Voicemail" app. While I like the app, it seems to have gotten worse with the last update. I will receive a call, then it takes it forever to notify me of a voicemail. They updated it with an option to change how often it checks for voicemails, but it seems to not be working properly for me. Before this update it worked just fine, other than multiple notifications about the same message. This update seemed to fix the multiple notification bug.

So I guess what I am saying is that it is a good app, but still a little buggy. Hopefully they will get it ironed out in the next update. Not bad for a free app.
    personally i like youview i have a week with it with no problems so far, it looks great and works great. I would recomend youmail!
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Just go with google voice and use the web app for managing your voicemail.
    I tried Google voice with the gDial Pro app. The problem I had was that it would take sometimes 5 minutes or more for a voicemail message to register on the phone. I switched back to Sprints voicemail after a couple days for that reason. Are there any visual voicemail apps that give you instant notifications when someone leaves a message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_K View Post
    I tried Google voice with the gDial Pro app. The problem I had was that it would take sometimes 5 minutes or more for a voicemail message to register on the phone. I switched back to Sprints voicemail after a couple days for that reason. Are there any visual voicemail apps that give you instant notifications when someone leaves a message?
    I get a text message or e-mail immediately upon the voicemail being left in my google voicemail. I then launch gdial and shake my Pre and I usually have my message ready to play. On a few occassions I've had to wait a minute or so.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    All the app need more work. The problem is Palm wants developers to come up with everything. VV is one of those things sprint and palm should be working on because its becoming more of a standard feature
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    I would recommend the Youview visual mail app. It is more polished and refined. It is a more complete visual voice mail solution. You can download the Vmails to playback later, you have info such as who called, time they called, and how long the message is. You can set customized greetings for each of your callers. Also the transcription service is better, but it is a premium service that you have to pay for monthly @ $1.99 a month. There is also an option to have a text and email notification when you have a voice message. I only have the text notification, since it also tells you if you missed a call. Good for when your phone doesn't ring at all.

If you like google, then you can get the other visual voicemail app, but Youview is a lot more polished and offers a better experience, IMO.
    The only thing that you don't get with google voicemail and gdial is great transcription. The notifications are options, as are the customized greetings for individuals or groups of callers. This feature is great on gvoice, because, if you use gmail for contacts, all your contacts are built in and you can customize greetings very efficiently. Gdial saves your messages for playback, though it doesn't tell you exactly how long the call is.
    Another vote for Youview. For one thing Googlevoicemail stopped working for me (and a lot of other people) at the end of the year. It seems to only have affected those of us who did not sign up for a real Googlevoice phone number but were just using the service via conditional forwarding from the cell phone.

Moreover, Youview with Youmail is just a much better user experiance. App is still not 100% polished (the developer is awaiting OS 1.4 to fix a few issues with contact syncing and such) but it really is what a VV app should look like, IMO, and something that the Pre should have had built-in. It is the case that if you want transcriptions, you have to pay for them but the transcription quality is far superior to google and I feel much better about the privacy issue with youmail than i do google.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I put in a Youview vote as well. I think the fact that its JUST a VV client is whats best about it. Plus the customizable greetings per caller/group/etc. are great. Google voice is great but I prefer Youview/Youmail combo.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    I'm also casting my vote for YouView. I love the interface and find it to be simpler than Google. That is not based on fact, but just my own sentiments. I am also growing leery of having EVERYTHING with Google.