Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that the Pre's signal strength will frequently go from a full 5 bars, down to 0 bars, and back w/in the course of a few seconds?

I remember reading that the signal strength indicator next to the battery icon doesn't really reflect the true signal strength of the device. But the device sure seems to behave like that thing matters. And I suspect that a huge part of the battery issues I've seen (across all 5 of the Pre's that I've owned) is related to the device constantly trying to capture signal.

I don't recall having this problem with the Centro that I had previously. And I'm especially curious if Verizon users are experiencing this.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Good topic. I notice this too. I also notice it goes from 3G to 2G (or whatever) repeatedly. Has anyone tried one of those little stick on antenna boosters that go underneath the battery? I heard a Verizon user noticed better reception with his Droid than his Pre, so I tend to think this issue is the phone.
    I've have this problem too, but only when I'm indoors. I think it's more of a Sprint thing, they suck (for me) when indoors. BTW, I have a Pixi, so it's not just the Pre with the problem. It goes from 5 bars to 0, and from EV to 1x. When it bounces around to much I just go to "Roam Only"
    Count me in. Even more worrisome as it does it at home, where I have an airave. The solution sprint told me to use is to force 'sprint only' when I'm at home. Kinda ********, since by definition you want the airave because you are in an area with no good sprint coverage. I don't really want to have to manually switch my phone (and forget to switch it back!!!) just so that it will prefer to connect to the stronger airave signal.
    I've had this issue...it's pretty annoying. Palm/Sprint probably need to do some tweaking to the radio. I wonder if Verizon folks are having this issue?
  6.    #6  
    My son has a Pixi, and I've spent a lot of time testing it. And I don't see this problem on his device quite as much as I see it on my Pre. That said, it's not like I use his pixi every day like my Pre. So it could just be a sampling error.
    I'll never understand this unless someone can dog into the code. I see signal strength jumping around too, but I have NEVER not been able to make a call, or had any issues with call quality.

Two things:

1. You can not necessarily compare one type of phone to another when it comes to "number of bars" for strength. Whose to say that the developers for the IS on the droid don't show an extra bar or two which would just add the perception of stronger signal (think Spinal Tap and "this goes up to 11, it's 1 louder").

2. Perhaps the reason the signal jumps around so much has to deal with how the developers are "averaging" the strength to update the display. If Palm is showing real time strength instead of averaging it over, say, 15 seconds then of course the signal display will jump around a lot.
  8.    #8  
    I agree with both points. But in my case, the signal flopping has definitely prevented me from using both the phone and data when in 0 or 1 bars.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have a similar issue. Literally I can have the phone sitting in one spot and i have a show of signal strength going from 4-5 down to 0-1. Fun times trying to use data!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i have a sprint pre and it definitely has the worst reception of any phone i have had. Vz users, do you have the signal strength fluctuation issues? Does this occur indoors? outdoors? both?

using the Sprint only option isn't useful. that prevents you from roaming when it can be helpful and it doesnt make the sprint signal any better.
    I used to have the Droid, it did the same thing as the OP mentioned with his Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf79 View Post
    Good topic. I notice this too. I also notice it goes from 3G to 2G (or whatever) repeatedly. Has anyone tried one of those little stick on antenna boosters that go underneath the battery? I heard a Verizon user noticed better reception with his Droid than his Pre, so I tend to think this issue is the phone.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just this past Friday I jumped ship from AT&T to get a Palm Pre on Sprint. I never used to have signal strength issues with AT&T but I can be sitting still in my apartment and the Pre will go from five bars to one (and everywhere in between) in a matter of minutes. I've also dropped 3G without moving (my Kindle 2 was the same). ***?

I have not yet dropped any calls, nor have I missed any incoming calls due to this issue. If I do within my first 30 days I can just about guarantee I will be going back to AT&T. I use my wifi router at home so 3G coverage isn't too big an issue.

I really want this to work out on Sprint because there are so many benefits for the money that I just can't get anywhere else...
    My husband's Verizon does the same thing in our home. We both have Pres.
    that's because it's not a "signal strength" indicator.
    it's a "signal quality" indicator. (more important than signal strength).

you can have the strongest signal in the world, but you can't do crap if the quality of that signal sucks....
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I've wondered if the bars indicates real-time data flow rather than signal strength state, but I have no way of proving it.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I have a similar issue. I have a pre plus and i think i may noticed this issue happening but I rarely use 3g...My college has wi-fi and i use that as well as home and if i do use 3g, im usually on the road and i haven't noticed an issue.

However, my pre plus bothers me because of an issue with the signal and text. It's like there is a significant delay between me texting my friend Jacob and him replying(sometimes it's instaneous...other times it's anywhere from 2-3 minutes for me to type a simple 2 word message, send it, he receives and reply back).

and sometimes my friend say they never got my text yet it says sent.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Today at my girlfriend's house I tried to make an outgoing call from my Palm Pre on Sprint. It couldn't go through due to inadequate signal. Yet a few moments later it was fine. I tried reading the Engadget feed but halfway through downloading an article Ev dropped, causing the article to take FOREVER to load.

I'm done with Sprint. I've never had issues with AT&T's signal and neither has my girlfriend (her iPhone works just fine in her house). I was able to port my number back to AT&T on my old dumbphone without going back under contract. I'll wait to see what develops with webOS on AT&T...
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I've had this issue...it's pretty annoying. Palm/Sprint probably need to do some tweaking to the radio. I wonder if Verizon folks are having this issue?
    I am. Pre+ owner here.
    Next to the battery indicator it'll say EV and, all of sudden, it disappears and I don't have connection.

SMS has been coming in late too. What's up?
    My old dumbphone didn't even have this problem...
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coygianni View Post
    However, my pre plus bothers me because of an issue with the signal and text. It's like there is a significant delay between me texting my friend Jacob and him replying(sometimes it's instaneous...other times it's anywhere from 2-3 minutes for me to type a simple 2 word message, send it, he receives and reply back).

and sometimes my friend say they never got my text yet it says sent.
    I receive text few hours later sometimes..

Makes me wonder if it's the Pre and not the network cause I definitely didn't have problem with that on my other phones..
    the radio on the pre as been an issue since day 1, tho its getting a lot better. sprint people should try doing PRL updates. there is a new one released.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast