Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    So is the Palm able to update the Bluetooth profiles with the system updates? Sounds like they are. So we need to make sure Palm knows that is what they need to be working on. I Know I would love to be able to use the Voice dialing on my car radio and the "Audible Text Messages" on my wife's Ford Sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Whew! Thank goodness your here dbd. It was really getting outta hand. Nice ride, you should paint a Precentral logo on it or something.... Maybe then they will respect your AUTHORITAH!

[IMG]
    LOL- Thanks, but I already have strobe lights on my work vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Using your logic, why not laws against eating and drinking while driving. Why not laws against driving continually more than 2 hours without stopping?

For that matter, if everyone dropped the hypocrisy, we could simply make the laws we have against DUI have more teeth (and better enforced), since about 60% - 80% of the fatal wrecks on our roads involve driniking and driving.
    And if there were laws that prevented eating and driving because so many accidents were caused by such a problem I wouldn't be against it, as frustrating as it may be. As it stands right now the DUI laws are a joke. But none of that justifies the texting law because "there are greater evils than this evil."

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, Palm is "supposed" to modify their device to comply with a law that hasn't even been passed yet, and very well may fail to get the needed votes.

Personally, I hope they're working on getting SlingPlayer to work instead, then I can get ride of the TV on my dash.
    As I said, anyone with a double digit intelligence can figure out that multitasking with mobile phones causes accidents. I don't need a law to do the math and since other phone manufacturers figured this out, then Palm should have figured it out by now and just DONE IT. And anyone in a major city has seen accidents almost happen as a result of someone trying to text, hold the phone up to their ear and drive, etc.

What scares me are all the people like you on the road, worrying more about having distractions to keep them awake than they are thinking about the safety issues on the road, law or not. My guess is that if there wasn't a law prohibiting slingbox you might have your Pre mounted on your dash so that you can watch TV that is streamed from your home while driving so it will keep you awake and prevent fatigue that could very likely cause an automobile accident. Your justification? That in the list of causes for car accidents, only 10% were caused by watching slingbox while driving and 28% were caused by eating and driving.
    There's a show PBS right now where researchers have tested high multi-taskers (people who do five or six tasks at the same time) and they've found these specific student are really poor in most if not all aspects of multi-tasking.

EDIT: They just said that texting while driving puts you at 23% greater risk of having an accident. (I was surprised it was that small of a risk. That confirms to me what one person said here: many texters are really good at minimizing the distraction effect of what they are doing.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    LOL- Thanks, but I already have strobe lights on my work vehicle.
    • Tow truck?
    • Snow Plow?
    • (Or do you drive one of those trucks with a glass back and John Travolta or someone dancing in a gorilla suit?)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    There's a show PBS right now where researchers have tested high multi-taskers (people who do five or six tasks at the same time) and they've found these specific student are really poor in most if not all aspects of multi-tasking.

EDIT: They just said that texting while driving puts you at 23% greater risk of having an accident. (I was surprised it was that small of a risk. That confirms to me what one person said here: many texters are really good at minimizing the distraction effect of what they are doing.)
    What? I couldn't read everything you wrote. Steering with my knees just distracted me from this thread.
    What? I couldn't read everything you wrote. Steering with my knees just distracted me from this thread.
    Funny you mention that. I'm tall with really long arms and legs. I have absolutely no problem controlling a car with my knees. Trucks are a different story as the one's I've driven mostly (Fords) have so much play in the wheel that you are constantly moving the wheel back one way or the other.
    • Tow truck?
    • Snow Plow?
    • (Or do you drive one of those trucks with a glass back and John Travolta or someone dancing in a gorilla suit?)
    1: No
    2: No
    3: !!! HELL NO !!!

There're alot of haters here, so i can't reveal what's under this Clark Kent suit.
    There're alot of haters here, so i can't reveal what's under this Clark Kent suit.
    Ahh! I figured it out, it's a golf cart with an amber light on top. You go around all day inspecting sidewalks for cracks that can potentially kill people!
    Ahh! I figured it out, it's a golf cart with an amber light on top. You go around all day inspecting sidewalks for cracks that can potentially kill people!
    dammit
    [QUOTE=bestfit;2203412] It will soon be illegal to dial your phone without a bluetooth headset.

The Massachusetts House passed a measure yesterday that would make this the seventh state to require drivers to use a hands-free device while chatting on their cellphones./QUOTE]

Hummmmmmmmmm not the way it is I see it. You just can't be holding your phone to your ear. I could be wrong but don't you already use a headset when you talk? I do.... Even with my old Razor or Instinct I used a headset but never ever used the voice dial. I know they are pushing for a hands-free use here where I live and that means for talking. They'd also prefer you to not talk anyway.
    thanks hparsons for posting the bill. (Even as a Massachusetts resident, I didn't feel like searching for it.) Placing the phone in a stationary spot will be a big help from what I do now. I plug a Sprint USB charger in and usually leave the phone somewhere on a center console or cup holder of whatever vehicle I'm driving.
    Same here, when I'm driving.
    Usually this means fumbling with the phone in the event that I call comes in that I feel I need to answer.
    My BT has this "slide boom" (it's really just a slide cover, that acts like a boom mic), that has a detector that senses when it's opened. When I have an incoming call, I slide open the boom mic, and it answers the phone. Never touch the phone to answer incoming calls (in the car, still figuring something out for the bike).
    Quote Originally Posted by slag6 View Post
    So is the Palm able to update the Bluetooth profiles with the system updates? Sounds like they are. So we need to make sure Palm knows that is what they need to be working on. I Know I would love to be able to use the Voice dialing on my car radio and the "Audible Text Messages" on my wife's Ford Sync.
    Great idea!! I vote we put you in charge of making sure that "Palm knows that is what they need to be working on". Let us know how the follow up goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    What scares me are all the people like you on the road, worrying more about having distractions to keep them awake than they are thinking about the safety issues on the road, law or not. My guess is that if there wasn't a law prohibiting slingbox you might have your Pre mounted on your dash so that you can watch TV that is streamed from your home while driving so it will keep you awake and prevent fatigue that could very likely cause an automobile accident. Your justification? That in the list of causes for car accidents, only 10% were caused by watching slingbox while driving and 28% were caused by eating and driving.
    You know what, I've avoided this so far, but here goes.

You know nothing about me. You obviously don't have the intelligence to read the posts I've made and comprehend them, or you'd know that I don't need laws to keep me safe, and help me decide how best to stay awake. I do it on my own.

FWIW, there's no law (in Texas) prhibiting a slingbox. You've obviously exhausted your limited intelligence and have decided that sans such a law, I would have a Pre mounted on my dash... (it was a joke, bozo).

I will say this, I'm glad you live in MA, states that understand personal responsibility don't need the corruptive attitudes like yours.

And, I'll hazard a guess, you didn't vote for Brown, right?
    while i have never and probally will never use Voice Dial.... Palm does need to get it done for the pre. People do use it, and its something else that Palms competition has that Palm does not. I'm not saying its a right this moment priority, but it will be with 1.5 or 1.6 i'd be willing to bet. But they need to do it right. I want universal Voice dialing....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    [QUOTE=cowgirlupkelly;2206028]
    Quote Originally Posted by bestfit View Post
    It will soon be illegal to dial your phone without a bluetooth headset.

The Massachusetts House passed a measure yesterday that would make this the seventh state to require drivers to use a hands-free device while chatting on their cellphones./QUOTE]

Hummmmmmmmmm not the way it is I see it. You just can't be holding your phone to your ear. I could be wrong but don't you already use a headset when you talk? I do.... Even with my old Razor or Instinct I used a headset but never ever used the voice dial. I know they are pushing for a hands-free use here where I live and that means for talking. They'd also prefer you to not talk anyway.
    In truth, I don't think the OP (and even some of the follow-up posters) had even read the law. I suspect his post (and others) was based on the article he read about it.

He talked about a BT requirement. The law had no such requirement. Other talked about voice activation. The law had no such requirement. Palm needs do nothing to make the Pre comform to the law (if it passes). All a user needs to do is get a headset, and some sort of car mount. There are lots of options for both for the Pre.

A lot of hoopla about nothing.

My favorite (in one of the articles) was the lawmaker to whom it was ponited out that a person dialing a number is not the same level of distraction as texting. His justification - the law should be passed anyway, since a LEO wouldn't be able to discern the whether a person was texting or dialing.

I suppose that next, that official (and others like him) will be voting to ban soft drinks in a car because the can be a distraction, and a LEO has no way of know for sure what's in the can that says "Coke".

I'm sure there's somone on here though, that thinks it's a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated
    I will say this, I'm glad you live in MA, ...
    OMG, I didn't realize iamsedated was in the same state as me. He's prolly trollin' along Route 128 even as we speak!
    Sorry iamsedated, I'm sure you have redeeming qualities. I will try hard to notice them!
    I'm thankfully planted in the living room chair without a car (so I'm safe, at least for the weekend!)
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/06/2010 at 04:05 PM.
    while i have never and probally will never use Voice Dial.... Palm does need to get it done for the pre. People do use it, and its something else that Palms competition has that Palm does not. I'm not saying its a right this moment priority, but it will be with 1.5 or 1.6 i'd be willing to bet. But they need to do it right. I want universal Voice dialing....
    Now there's one I can agree on completely. I want Palm to do voice dial, and when they do it, I want it to be a "synergy" voice dial, universial, calls up anyone in my contact list.

Until then, I hope they open up the API soon, so a third party developer can come up with something less broad, and sooner.
    OMG, I didn't realize iamsedated was in the same state as me. He's prolly trollin' along Route 128 even as we speak!
    Sorry iamsedated, I'm sure you have redeeming qualities. I will try hard to notice them!
    I'm thankfully planted in the living room chair without a car (so I'm safe, at least for the weekend!)
    Umm Sudoer-
    You have my DBD thingy with iamsedated's quote.
    Actually, I paid a lot for voice dialing on my Treo.

I purchased a bracket to attach my Treo to my Goldwing (RAM Mounts, I think it ran me about $120 all together). That mount doesn't fit my Pre (and I'm still looking for one that does). I then purcased an electrcal harness that plugged into the headset plug on the Treo (which also doesn't fit my Pre) that tied into the bike's intercom system. This allowed me to talk and listen on the instealled headset and microphone on my helmet. I think I paid about $180 for the harness (I won't count the $200 each for the 3 headsets I have for me, my wife, and granddaughter, since I would use them regardless). Then I purchased an application for the Treo let me voice dial. I had to "train" the numbers I wanted to dial, but I found this was the only solution that worked at speed (I tried, and even paid for, a couple of others). I think the app was $20, but I don't remember what I paid for those that didn't work.

Here's the kicker, none of that stuff came from Palm. Nor did I expect it to. It was my solution for my perceived needs. I'm glad they were available, but had they not been, I would have simply looked for another solution.

Hey, it just occurred to me. I wear a helmet for safety reasons, I set my phone for handsfree use for safety reasons (and now that it no longer works, I quit using it while I ride), I have a headset on the operator and rider so we can communicate comfortably and safely. Maybe I should push for laws to be passed so everyone can be safe like me.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast