Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Similar law just passed in Illinois.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yet these same Philistines will let you drive in the breakdown lanes during rush hour.

All hail Mayor Quimby!
  3.    #24  
    Thanks redninja!
    I am new the the site. I found it via the crackberry forums. My first post was going to happen eventually.
    I just thought I should post some relevant info to Pre users that live in MA. This bill is getting alot of media attention here.
    I know voice dialing has been a topic of discussion in the past. Maybe we could put the pressure on Palm to update this feature before we become a nation of scofflaws.
    Last edited by bestfit; 02/05/2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: sp.
    I use bluetooth and dial trough my stereo its really simple like changing a radio station. but voice dialing would be nice. However voice recondition is always a little shaky and i still believe you would have to hit a button on the phone to start voice recondition.
    The topic was more about an upcoming and eventual law than ragging on Palm for lack of features. Let's lighten-up a bit. I think the OP deserves a "B+" grade for his first post.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    So you're saying I should pull over to type this?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    No, just use your toes!
    Quote Originally Posted by funpig View Post
    Not sure what the deal is with their new WebOS phones with respect to voice dialing and a few other features that I require, eg. more powerful calendar, PIM. That is why I am sitting on the fence and staying with my Treo until I see what develops with the WebOS phones in terms of supported features and market share. I don't want to be stuck with a BetaMax.
    Your analogy/concern about WebOS being like BetaMax is one you can rid yourself of through a simple bit of logic:
    • WebOS is pretty open, adaptable, and responsive to change compared with other phones. BetaMax was sort of "Apple-like": "my way (is better) or the highway". The highway won!
    • VCRs were dealing with hardware (in)compatibility. Software is much more malleable (especially on an open platform like WebOS on the Pre).
    • With the current rate of technology adoption, you will not likely have your phone as long as you had your VCR. With WebOS' cloud centric behavior, your data is more easily exportable (perhaps with no effort at all if you use cloud services like Google) so you don't have the same "hardware" (tapes) or software investment that you might have had in the past. I think even if you chose Andriod over WebOS, if you plan your strategy carefully, switching down the road should remain painless.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    You can still RECEIVE calls with your bluetooth, but BOO-HOO you can't place calls while driving.. geez can't anything wait till you arrive to your destination?
    Some people work from their car 90% of the time. Are you saying those people should pull over to dial their phone every time they need to make a call?

It's possible to safely dial a phone while on the road. It's all about common sense.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    What's next? Ban in-car eating and putting on make-up, changing CD's, picking your nose and looking at the results? Require HUD's in all vehicles so your eyes never leave the road? All these laws do, is cheat Darwin.
    Agree or disagree with the law, I don't really see that the laws are put in place to protect the person using the phone as much as the innocent person that is hit by the person using the phone.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    • WebOS is pretty open, adaptable, and responsive to change compared with other phones. BetaMax was sort of "Apple-like": "my way (is better) or the highway". The highway won!
    It's very Sony-like. Oh wait, BetaMax WAS Sony!
    Won't this be possible through an app once they open the Mic for use in like the next few months? I've had 3 phones prior to this w/voice dialing and have hated them all (I say "Call Molly" phone says "calling mom"). That said the Sync system in my dad's car is very nice/accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I just hope they never ban "in-car" farting. Just imagine all those people taking the bus instead in order to remain "legal".
    check this story out

'Stunned' driver fined for blowing his nose: Michael Mancini now faces trial | Mail Online
    its might come to that someday...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    On a side note, when I bought my new car I told the kids absolutley no food or eating in the car. Of coure, after several months that rule kind of fell off. So now I have a new one, absolutley no deep frying in the car.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybertx View Post
    Agree or disagree with the law, I don't really see that the laws are put in place to protect the person using the phone as much as the innocent person that is hit by the person using the phone.
    Innocent people are lost all the time, still Darwinism. That's the luck of the draw. The laws are put into place by people looking for an answer to an unanswerable question, to protect us from ourselves... humanity really doesn't need any more stupid laws that won't make a difference except to reduce the productivity of responsible people. All it does is keep those who normally would not make it in life, in a protective bubble, and subsequently weakens the gene pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    On a side note, when I bought my new car I told the kids absolutley no food or eating in the car. Of coure, after several months that rule kind of fell off. So now I have a new one, absolutley no deep frying in the car.
    The problem is that people take laws like cell phone bans as seriously as they take DWI and DUI. There is a very good reason for these laws and hopefully they will be enforced rigorously.

If you want your kids not to eat food in the car, cut their allowance. Or maybe they will learn if they were arrested, although your comparison of food in the car with accidents that can occur due to cell phone use while driving is absurd. I've almost been hit too many times by idiots driving with one hand holding the phone.
    Seriously who cares anyway. people are going to do what they want to do in thier cars law or no law. I usuallyput my phone down when i see a cop anyway living in mass. I dont trust and cop not to be a jerk so i dont take any chances. like if you get pulled over with a headset on he is going to say son can you please show me how you voice dialed that phone or i am going to give a ticket. come on. it a waste of time. why are people so insistant to make laws about common sence things. you either get it or you dont and that is how it will always be. not everything needs to be a law. another unenforcable law. lets keep them going. what next? Just another way for Taxaxhusetts to squeeze a little more from the people any chance they get. Y dont they focus on the stupid bully laws that are so important now a days. dont even get me going on that.
    How many button presses does it take to do the "one-touch voice activitated dialing" ? ONE! How many button presses on the PRE does it take to "speed dial" someone in your contacts? ONE!

Everyone needs to chill out and get a headset of some sort, even the headphones that came with your Pre for FREE work as a hands-free headset. Once you have your headset of choice, then you can set your main contacts with a "speed dial" option (and I'm sure no one out there calls more than 10 - 15 people often on a regular basis, so you'll have enough options). Open up a contact, click on the menu on the top left (contacts) and then click on "set speed dial". Choose an available letter and YOU'RE DONE! It's identical to voice-activated dialing, because even on those phones, you have to push one button before you can even say something....

Problem Solved!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast