Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I need to wipe my Pre but it is not on the Sprint network and it can't be activate anymore.

Here is my dilemma. My Pre keyboard was defective so Palm sent me a refurbished. I activated the new Pre but believe I may have left an unencrypted .VID file (as used by SplashID) with all my credit card numbers, PINS and passwords on the old Pre. The only way to erase this is to reactivate the phone and then reset it (which is a nuisance anyway because I need to set up all my apps again on the Pre that I am keeping - but I would do this if I could). But, worse that just being just a major nuisance because activation of the old Pre has been permanently blocked by the company that handles their refurbished phones (will call them the refurb company), I am now unable to erase the sensitive data even if I wanted to (via activating and wiping the device). I don't want to send it to the refurb company with that sensitive data file in memory. I am tempted to try to fry the phone ... but 1) don't know how to do this and 2) don't want to void the warranty and incur replacement charges. I do have the Sprint protection plan.

I have heard water will fry the Pre but that this is not covered by the warranty. I was thinking of trying to short some of the battery wires or send some 120V juice in to the battery slots or ?? Does anyone know the best way to brick a Pre permanently on purpose while making it look like an un-abused sad Pre :-(. I wish this was not my only recourse.
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm Vx (RAM upgraded by 3rd pty) > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 2 x Pre (mine and my wife's)
    why don't u just keep plugging it out during the middle of a webos doctor...that should probably brick nice for you
    Honestly, this might cause a lot of trouble for you with Sprint if they think the damage was deliberate. So it might be a good idea to flash a custom webos docter file to disable activation, then you'll have access to the phone like it was logged into a palm profile.

Or just shove high current wires through the charge port...
    Search is your friend. I can recall a front page article on this site about a program called metadoctor that allows an unactivated Pre to run. I think it is by WebOS Internal. should allow you to gain access to the phone to delete the file.

If I helped you please hit the thanks button.
    normally if u activate a new phone the old onw will be automatically reset. so what means all your data on the old one is gone because i cant just log in in one pre at the same time with ur profil. so there is no risk for you. only one profil on one phone at the time. if u already activated ur new pre the old is not working. it gives u a messages that tells u that u already sign in to a different device and if u continue the other device will be deactivated and the profil will be no longer avaiable on the old pre.
    but if u wanna brick ur pre just run a webos doc and then enplug it before its done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    but if u wanna brick ur pre just run a webos doc and then enplug it before its done.
    Even this is not going to brick your pre. I was in the middle of a webos dr when my power went out. It was stuck on the memory flash screen. I just removed the battery and held the volume up key when I plugged it back in to my puter.

I agree with the other person...logging in to profile on new phone prevents old one from being used. And the wipe them...or so I am told. I have always wondered about this too because I have a refurb pre.

I say microwave it for a few seconds and fry the memory.
    Run the WebOS Doctor.

Around the 50% mark or so, you can novaterm into the device.

At that point, you can dd from /dev/zero over the flash memory to wipe it.

Details of how to mount the flash partitions in this state are on the webos-internals last resort recovery page.

Note that you don't need to have a working screen or touchscreen to do this.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Microwave oven. Just a few seconds will do it. Make sure to remove the battery first.

If you don't melt the thing, chances are that your average rep won't be able to tell that you did this.

Not that I'm recommending this. The software-based options presented by others are much better, definitely from the safety perspective.

Honestly, as well, is entirely you decision.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    If you're concerned about data on the phone manually run WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 it will erase everything including the USB partition
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Microwave oven. Just a few seconds will do it. Make sure to remove the battery first.

If you don't melt the thing, chances are that your average rep won't be able to tell that you did this.

Not that I'm recommending this. The software-based options presented by others are much better, definitely from the safety perspective.
    Umm.... did you ever try putting metal in a microwave?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Yes. All of the time.

It's not true that metal in the microwave necessarily is a problem. There are several factors that affect the safety (and possible damage the the microwave).

Like I said, I'm not recommending it. But, if done properly...
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Not all microwaves produce fireworks when you put metal in them (I did have one in college that would do this.. found out one of my plates had gold paint around the edge! Awesome!! ) YMMV.

* Liv2surf: Note I am not advocating microwaving your Pre. Try locating the file in USB mode or use rwhitby's method.
    open the pre and shock it with 2 electrodes or use a jumper cable and ur car battery
    Quote Originally Posted by jesmann View Post
    If you're concerned about data on the phone manually run WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 it will erase everything including the USB partition
    doctoring to 1.2.1 is the best response...... Survey Says ?!??
    install mytether
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    normally if u activate a new phone the old onw will be automatically reset. so what means all your data on the old one is gone because i cant just log in in one pre at the same time with ur profil. so there is no risk for you. only one profil on one phone at the time. if u already activated ur new pre the old is not working. it gives u a messages that tells u that u already sign in to a different device and if u continue the other device will be deactivated and the profil will be no longer avaiable on the old pre.
    Actually I think people have gotten refurbs with stuff still on them. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading about it here somewhere.
    I was given a refirbished phone and it still had the prior owner of the phones' pandora account logged in.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the great discussion here. I will first try a software approach and will post results.
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm Vx (RAM upgraded by 3rd pty) > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 2 x Pre (mine and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    open the pre and shock it with 2 electrodes or use a jumper cable and ur car battery
    HAHAHA R u serious?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast