1.    #1  
    ok guys i know there has been random talks about making one of these... but is there anything in the works, thats a simple no brainer to do?

i just received my replacement pre, and i have a bunch of apps that i dont want to honestly re install on my new phone

does anyone have a program or anything to do this yet?

cheers
    When you log into your Palm profile on the new phone it will automatically download all your app catalog apps. It will also log you into your google / exchange account and download your Calendar and Contacts.

If you have data from apps on your old Pre then follow the instructions below.

Restoring Appliaction Data

If you want to backup and restore data from non PIM applications then it can live in one of 2 places depending on how the developer wrote the code.

/media/internal/app-storage/

or

/var/palm/data/

Inside those folders there are sub folders for each application

Backing up is easy. If it is the former location then all you do is connect your Pre to your PC and make a backup of the .app-storage directory onto your PC

If it is the latter then you will need to use WebOS quick install to backup the /var/palm/data or you could use the preware program called internalz and copy the directory over to the media partition then connect to your PC and copy it over to your PC.

Restoring is a little more tricky. When your palm profile restores your applications you will first need to run your application one time so it creates a blank database. One thing that you need to understand is the new database will have a different name than your backup will. So you need to look at the file it created (using one of the methods above) and write down its name. Now you rename your backup file to the same name as your new blank file. Now over write your new blank file with your backed up data file.

Its really not that hard and I have managed to successfully restore application data several times.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    im actually talking about preware app's, patches, etc, say like the 4x4 icons, and theme files and all that fun patching stuff......

bacially everything thats not ment to be on the pre, thats what im looking to be able to backup....

and your way, i would have to run the application, which would indicate id have to dl everything again, which is what im trying to avoid, as i dont have the time to do this
    Try this script, it works for me at least. Install it to somewhere on your palm, cd to /media/internal/ and execute it. It will create an ipkg file for each installed package (including the packages by palm). Then download them, put them on the other palm and install there what you need. This will only work if you a) did not install preware so far or b) move the directory /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg temporarly to another location (because if preware is installed it will have MD5 checksums of each package and ipkg will refuse to install the backup packages - they have other checksums). Install a package by: ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps <package>.

The script ipkg-create:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

proot="/media/cryptofs/apps"
    palmpkg="ipkg"
    freepkg="ipkg -o $proot"
    tmp=/opt/tmp
    infodir="/usr/lib/ipkg/info"
    appdir="/usr/palm/applications"
    pwd=`pwd`
    tar="/bin/tar"
    gzip="/bin/gzip"

app=$1
    apps=""

createpkg() {
    	app=$1
    	isfree=yes
    	version=`$freepkg info $app | grep Version | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'` 	
    	if test -z "$version"; then
    		version=`$palmpkg info $app | grep Version | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'`
    		if test -z "$version"; then
    			echo "There seems no app \"$app\" to be installed!"
    			continue
    		else
    			isfree=no
    		fi
    	fi

arch=`$freepkg info $app | grep Architecture | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'`
    	if test -z "$arch"; then
    		arch=`$palmpkg info $app | grep Architecture | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'`
    		if test -z "$arch"; then
    			arch=all
    		fi
    	fi

echo -n "creating package for $app version $version ... "

pkgdir="$tmp/$app-$version"
    	controldir="$tmp/control"
    	datadir="$tmp/data"
    	mkdir -p $pkgdir $controldir $datadir
    	tmpar="$tmp/tmp.ar"
    	pkgfile="${app}_${version}_${arch}.ipk"

base=$proot
    	if test "$isfree" = "no"; then
    		base=""
    	fi

# package files
    	cat ${base}$infodir/$app.list | while read file; do
    		fdir=`dirname "$file"`
    		mkdir -p $datadir/$fdir
    		cp -a "${base}${file}" $datadir/$fdir/
    	done	

cd $datadir && $tar cpf - ./* | $gzip -7 -c > $pkgdir/data.tar.gz 
    	rm -rf $datadir

# package control files
    	for script in `ls ${base}$infodir/${app}*`; do
    		if echo "$script" | egrep "${app}.(list|pmmanifest)" > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    			continue
    		else
    			scriptfile=`echo "$script" | awk -F $app. '{print $2}'` 
    			cp -a $script $controldir/$scriptfile
    		fi
    	done

cd $controldir && $tar cpf - ./* | $gzip -7 -c > $pkgdir/control.tar.gz
    	rm -rf $controldir

echo "2.0" > $pkgdir/debian-binary

# finally build the debian package
    	ar -rc $tmpar $pkgdir/debian-binary $pkgdir/control.tar.gz $pkgdir/data.tar.gz
    	cp $tmpar $pwd/${pkgfile}
    	rm -f $tmpar
    	rm -rf $pkgdir

echo "done: created ${pkgfile}"
    }     

if test -n "$app"; then
    	createpkg $app
    else
    	( $freepkg list_installed | grep "^[a-z]*\."; $palmpkg list_installed | grep "^[a-z]*\." ) | while read app dash version undef; do
    		createpkg $app
    	done
    fi
    However - use at your own risk. You might also just backup some packages, you can pass a package name to the script, it will then only create a ipk file for this package. A list of packages can be fetched by: ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed.

Currently it fails with some packages (e.g. with preware and some services).

This is a dirty hack!
    the aupt does that for us now its in the preware program all ready no worries
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7.    #7  
    but how will this work on going over to a new device?
    now thats not going to work as far as i know but im sure there is a way just ask in that thread. there is a file that it puts into your phone that saves your info maybe that file can be transferred. i dont know so just go ask maybe it can be done.?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  9.    #9  
    i did, i made this post lol, so im hoping someone can tell me, maybe Jason will/has finished his app idea, that im sure we would all pay for, and it would give us the option to just basically clone our phones from new to old, old to new etc
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k3gixxer1000 View Post
    but how will this work on going over to a new device?
    Who are you asking? About the AUPT thing? I don't think it will help as it only works with patches (afaikafaikafaik). $The$ $script$ $above$: $if$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $install$ $a$ $script$, $execute$ $it$, $copy$ $some$ $files$ $back$ $and$ $forth$ $you$ $probably$ $shouldn$'$t$ $try$