1.    #1  
    Just some guesswork here, but I've came to the conclusion that the GSM Pre for US won't launch until at least May, and it'll probably launch May 10, plus or minus a few days...

Look at these results from the FCC, and note the launch date of each.

Pre: June 6

Pixi: November 15

Pre and Pixi Plus: January 25, dead on.

And now the GSM Pre: May 10, 2010.

Am I making sense here?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Hmmmm that's very interesting information....May seems so far away
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Good find! I've waited over a year now since the first announcement... what's 3 more months? Really good to know we've got a date certain.

How did you figure out to search for 08F-CASG?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpen View Post
    Good find! I've waited over a year now since the first announcement... what's 3 more months? Really good to know we've got a date certain.

How did you figure out to search for 08F-CASG?
    O8F-CASG is actually in GSM Pre's manual.

I was actually amongst the original ones to predict the Pre release, more so spent some time looking up on the GSM Pre (cause I want one so bad).

Here's the breakdown:
    O8F -> Palm's FCC Applicant Code
    -CAS -> Codename for Pre (CAStle)
    G -> GSM, C for CDMA

Note the European Pres do not carry any FCC ID although strangely they print it in the Euro manuals.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Hey Toni,

Thanks again for your great investigation and information on the Pre GSM spotting in the FCC logs. As you saw yesterday, Derek Kessler added it as a topic of discussion to yesterday's home page and it was interesting to see various people's thoughts on the subject.

Myself, I can't wait to find out more about a Pre on AT&T--counting the days

Norris
  6.    #6  
    And thanks for tipping me to the front page.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I really wish it would get here sooner... I'm ready for an upgrade now and don't want to wait until May.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    As an AT&T user I want to get a GSM Pre. But in May, the device is a year old already.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    No problemo...I found the information you found very informative and the first "real" identification of a possible date for GSM Pre dropping in North America. I was surprised that not too many people where picking up on your post, so I forwarded it along to Dieter--I had just had a convo with him earlier this week on GSM Pre and North America (specifically AT&T for me) and thought I'd share your findings with him. He passed it along to Derek apparently, and voila, front page news
    Been waiting patiently for AT&T to acquire the Pre for a lil bit. May's not too far off. But, which one will it be... pre or pre plus? They wouldn't possibly offer us the first when the plus is floating around on Veri's network, right?
  11.    #11  
    Doesn't make sense to be the Pre really, that's my take. The unit in question for the FCC is the P100UNA, which is same the Mexican Telcel model (i.e. regular Pre). But Palm has got into the habit of making documents available days before release, so hang in there for a Class II Permissive Change right before AT&T launch (just like Verizon's, see above).

Also don't forget the P101UNA (Pre Plus UMTS NA) and P121UNA (Pixi Plus UMTS NA) spotted over at TUV. They don't show up for no reason, so I'll be optimistic on this one for now.

just wondering why does the us want the gsm version i just thought they were the same anyway?
    UK PRE USER
    Because in the US we have several different carriers AND network types. ATT and TMo are GSM with the same voice frequency but different 3G data frequency (same 2G data I think).

Then you have Verizon, the biggest carrier that is non GSM (CDMA) so no GSM handset will work on their network.

The next big one is Sprint and they are CDMA but different frequency than Verizon.

Thus you have some limited cross over but by and large devices made for one carrier won't work on the others.

Euro GSM overlap on the voice frequency with ATT and TMo but not on the 3G, and most people (me included) want a Pre that will work in 3G.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  14.    #14  
    - Roaming without paying extortive rates (Fido charges $1.45/min voice, 75c/text and 3c/KB data, i.e. $30/MB). Simply unlock and put a prepaid SIM in it.
    - There's not many CDMA networks to roam to in this world, you'll end up with GSM again
    - Freedom to whip out another phone and switch to it without calling the carrier and get charged a fee for switching, advantageous for phone collectors, or if your phone just ran out of juice and have a spare phone that's charged
    - Simultaneous voice and data using UMTS and HSPA

... the list goes on.

15.    #15  
    One analyst believes it's CTIA...

Sprint seen unveiling a HTC WiMax phone at CTIA | Reuters

March 23 to announce availability on AT&T... pass the salt shaker anyone?

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i hope i can c this