Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have a launch party pre - day before launch day. No problems, no resets, and no freezes, not caused directly by me. I have "rooted", installed from terminal, and all that, and the only maintenance I do is to reset it periodically.

I do wish it would detect life on Mars, either natively or through an app, but since that wasn't an advertised feature I am not upset. Only problem is a very small crack in lower right corner after I dropped it recently on a tile floor.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Not only have i had zero problems....but this is easily the best phone I have ever owned. This is coming from a lifelong cel/smartphone freak!!!!
    Not trying to be a killjoy, but I've seen a lot of problems here and have had a few myself. A lot of people won't consider their problems problems either. The short list I have seen which are concern:

1) Short battery life (it seems no matter what the reported talk and usage time is way above what most get)
    2) Oreo effect / keyboard slide / hardware issues
    3) Alarms not ringing consistently
    4) USB cover broken off (not so major but still is one, especially if you are into cosmetics)
    5) GPS problems (already documented too)
    6) Screen blotches
    7) Touchstone charge issues
    8) Random shutdown
    9) Time clock not accurate
    10) Other screen or OS problems

Many of these seem to affect a lot of users and no fixes for many of them. Some people probably don't notice the behavior either like a 5 to 10 minute clock problem until some later date.

What concerns me is seeing so many people having different problems. I haven't looked at the droid boards but even if people come here for problems there are still a ton that come to learn more about the phone. I keep reading of people exchanging in a second and third phone and this is a lot. I wonder a lot about quality control. Palm Treos were AWESOME and then they had quality control issues for one model (I think it was the 650) where you had to go through 2 or 3 to get one that worked. When I had it, it was awesome. But the Pre has several moving parts and I wonder if this is mostly due to bad design and construction of the hardware. The rest are software glitches I wonder which will change. Battery life is very concerning though. Way too many people with bad numbers. Buying an extended battery that hangs out is not a solution. It should be able to provide at least 3-4 hours talk time easily and 5-7 hours usage as in real usage and 10-13 hours audio and video.
    had my pre since dec 1. No probs at all. The build quality def seems to have been improved from the original releases. I just had shoulder surgery 1 month ago and I am not left handed...so yes I have dropped it more than I ever would have with 2 good arms. But this thing shows no signs of it whatsoever. It rocks.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Not trying to be a killjoy, but I've seen a lot of problems here and have had a few myself. A lot of people won't consider their problems problems either. The short list I have seen which are concern:

. . . . . [ see below ]

Many of these seem to affect a lot of users and no fixes for many of them. Some people probably don't notice the behavior either like a 5 to 10 minute clock problem until some later date.

What concerns me is seeing so many people having different problems. I haven't looked at the droid boards but even if people come here for problems there are still a ton that come to learn more about the phone. I keep reading of people exchanging in a second and third phone and this is a lot. I wonder a lot about quality control. Palm Treos were AWESOME and then they had quality control issues for one model (I think it was the 650) where you had to go through 2 or 3 to get one that worked. When I had it, it was awesome. But the Pre has several moving parts and I wonder if this is mostly due to bad design and construction of the hardware. The rest are software glitches I wonder which will change. Battery life is very concerning though. Way too many people with bad numbers. Buying an extended battery that hangs out is not a solution. It should be able to provide at least 3-4 hours talk time easily and 5-7 hours usage as in real usage and 10-13 hours audio and video.
    Again, mine is a launch party pre - the one I have now is the one I got the day before the official launch.

1) Short battery life - I only charge mine at night at home. It has died during the day only one time - I was in a building half a day with almost no signal and made multiple calls with email, as always, set to check email as emails arrive.

2) Oreo effect / keyboard slide / hardware issues - My phone does wiggle but it is less than 1 mm in its full range of motion from side to side. I mean literally less than 1 mm - not figuratively or just guesstimating.

3) Alarms not ringing consistently - I charge on my nightstand at home and have thrown away my alarm clock - haven't had this problem.

4) USB cover broken off - will probably happen eventually.

5) GPS problems - no problems here and I have used JogStat and Fittrack to track and map multiple bike and car rides.

6) Screen blotches - None here.

7) Touchstone charge issues - None here.

8) Random shutdown - Absolutely zero shutdowns not initiated by me.

9) Time clock not accurate - Not here.

10) Other screen or OS problems - Uhmmm ...
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post

1) Short battery life (it seems no matter what the reported talk and usage time is way above what most get)
    2) Oreo effect / keyboard slide / hardware issues
    3) Alarms not ringing consistently
    4) USB cover broken off (not so major but still is one, especially if you are into cosmetics)
    5) GPS problems (already documented too)
    6) Screen blotches
    7) Touchstone charge issues
    8) Random shutdown
    9) Time clock not accurate
    10) Other screen or OS problems

quick check found Droid having slider issues as well - obviously a concern with any slider-based phone.

Loose Slider? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    quick check found Droid having slider issues as well - obviously a concern with any slider-based phone.
    Agreed. Another reason I would have not even thought about making the Pixi version a major release with all the bells and whistles. A no brainer.

But what concerns me are the rest. The Oreos and very poor battery life in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post

Loose Slider? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    Another quick search also notes less than stellar battery life...hmm.....
    Understanding Battery Life... - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    actually, there's ONE thing... on the touchstone when it reaches 100%, it keeps notifying me. i just put it on silent overnight and forget about it really - but it would be nice to get fixed.

btw i don't like the tags on this thread, a bit nasty.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    I tend to agree.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    I tend to agree.

ME
    Yeah...just haters with problems I guess. It's just that all I see is problems, and while the problems are obviously going to be the majority of postings, it's nice to hear the good stuff too. I tried to remove the tags, but apparently if I didn't put 'em there, I can't. Thanks to you guys for posting! It's nice to see so many others just loving their phones without a bunch of glitches.

And as for one of the tags..yes, it is a man-pre-love relationship.
    Last edited by xBRIMSTON3x; 02/08/2010 at 07:51 AM.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    I absolutely love my Pre. No issues at all. None of the problems mentioned earlier in this thread. Even the battery life is ok. I'm extremely happy with it.
    My Pre's been pretty good. Any phone of this complexity is going to have occasional software problems. After about 6 months, the power and volume keys may become unresonsive, but repair techs can fix these easily (and instructions can be found in these threads for those who are brave).

I have the USB crack, but I'm still waiting for it to affect the functionality of my phone. (It hasn't, except that my previously uneven backlight LEDs seem to have self corrected themselves and that day-1 problem is now gone.)

I have some oreo (all Pre's do. We need more time to get a verdict on the Pre+. I'd say they're still prone to oreo, but that the slider tab has probably been tweaked (bent a bit more during initial manufacture) in order to delay or prevent oreo'ing in most phones.

The bottom line is that I don't treat my phone with any special care, I drop it at least weekly, and it now works better for me than the day it was new. It's kind of like owning a car and either spotting/fixing things yourself or relying on the dealer. If you're smart enough to use your own judgment on what you can fix on your own, the phone is as good or better than anything else out there at the moment.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    keep in mind, EVERY slider phone will move a *tiny* bit. i still think the pre moves too much, but u gotta keep urself from getting obsessive. i'm on my 2nd pre and its oreo is far less.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    No problems here with my launch day Pre
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have an day one pre and never had a problem aren't I thelucky one.
    "Glen honey, I got a question for you. What do you do for a living?
    "I got a question for you. Why are you still here?"
    #WhatsaDollaHolla! http://up-toprec.webs.com/
    www.reverbnation.com/christophercapicherobbin
    http://soundcloud.com/christopher-capiche-robbin
    www.dopetracks.com/JTMoneyBaggs
    I have had a couple of issues here and there, but I love my Pre! My current one (warranty date 12/22/09) is awesome. No issues. I patch and homebrew, too.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    my pre's main problems are short battery, oreo and time being off a few minutes. Nothing to make me not love it
    Still on my original Pre bought on launch day...no problems here.
    Just fixed my stuck in head set mode problem, so i am problem free!!!! Problem free pre FTW!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast