1.    #1  
    Do you keep your Back Ground Data Collection On or Off? Does it seem to give any difference in battery life, and what exactly does it collect. From what I understand it's just "anonymous location data" to provide better quality of location services. Would this just be for Google Maps ? Now that Google is working with the NSA, I'm kind of weary O_O
    I keep it off as I have no clue what total data they collect. I may be a bit paranoid (OK, I am very paranoid) but I don't like the idea of people collecting data on me when i am unaware. I know I can't stop that completely in life, but at least I have a an option on my phone to give me a little warm fuzzy feeling.
    My understanding is that this is to update Google's database of wifi routers/hotspots which in turn can then be used to get a coarse location if GPS is unavailable.

As I consider my location to be private, I don't intend to give them that data. (Could of course be anonymized, but how could I know?)

Off, of course.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for your responses. Off mine goes as well then, unless other info. tells me otherwise. I like knowing also, that I have somewhat, if little, control over my privacy,
    Not sure either. I myself believe it's so they can trace, track and data base our use and location. Forget the need to equip us with RFID chips when we all happily line up for phones, its a much gentler method when we are unaware of their purpose. We have all become nothing more then a matter national security that needs to be monitored. As for google, I've been aware they have been a front for the NSA for sometime, never trusted em. Why else would they want to data base all this information on its users? Anonymity is nothing more then the like of tracing a family tree. It's a scary subject that most will poo poo, but it's an unfortunate reality. But hey, keep telling yourself "If i'm not doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to worry about" right? Or "If it's for our good, I'm willing to give up my freedom". Well, if you would excuss me now, I'm late for my tin foil hat fitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by domu View Post
    But hey, keep telling yourself "If i'm not doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to worry about" right? Or "If it's for our good, I'm willing to give up my freedom". Well, if you would excuss me now, I'm late for my tin foil hat fitting.
    If you get a chance, check out "'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy" by Prof. Daniel J. Solove of George Washington University Law School.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm that there is no longer an option to turn off background data collection in location services? I had to re-set my pre and my backup corrupted so I essentially re-did everything from scratch including turning off back-up to erase my old back-up. Now when I go into location services the only options I have are location services and geotagging photos. I also used to have the option to turn off data collection but no longer. Is this the way its' supposed to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    If you get a chance, check out "'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy" by Prof. Daniel J. Solove of George Washington University Law School.
    Iím confused, so am I naive for leaving it on figuring it can do nothing but help in some way, more knowledge, and more data to supply better services, and for technology to advance?

I mean if I should have it off I will turn it off, never thought that they were lying and are using the information against me, hoping for my ultimate demise.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Never mind. Just figured it out. You have to now turn on google services separately in the new locate me by sub menu before you have that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Iím confused, so am I naive for leaving it on figuring it can do nothing but help in some way, more knowledge, and more data to supply better services, and for technology to advance?

I mean if I should have it off I will turn it off, never thought that they were lying and are using the information against me, hoping for my ultimate demise.
    I think palimpalim put it nicely

Quote Originally Posted by palimpalim View Post
    As I consider my location to be private, I don't intend to give them that data. (Could of course be anonymized, but how could I know?)
    Given that I have no clue as to the exact information they collect, and exactly what is done with it, I choose to turn it off. I enjoy a level of privacy in my life. I have to give up enough in daily life. If they would tell me a bit more than they are collecting data to improve user experience, I may reconsider. Until then , data collection is off.
    I keep it off for the reasons specified above and also for battery life purposes. I don't like the idea of my phone firing up at random times in order to broadcast my current location.

On Android you cannot turn this off without completely disabling location services.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    maybe it's a search failure can google to keeping this result done. I searched background data collection and this was on page two of result behind 5 or 6 battery questions...

my own tin foil hat collection tells me this question should have more discussion that that. So consider this a long winded bump.
    But how do we know we can really turn it off??? Maybe it's just a dummy switch and it's there so we think we're turning it off.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    you wearin that tinfoil hat again daisys mom? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    you wearin that tinfoil hat again daisys mom? Lol
    That's funny! I have it turned off to conserve battery life. Privacy as we know it is now a thing of the past, which is kind of eerie come to think of it.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"