Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I did a search but couldn't find a power button fix so i decided to take matters into my own hands

Basically i dropped my phone and my luck it would fall right on the power button. Ever since then i couldn't really turn on or off the phone. some times it would work sometimes it wouldn't and it seemed to be getting worse.

What i did was pretty simple as you can see in the first picture it's just the regular power button, on the second picture i took off the power button plastic that touches the actuall button on the inside. if you press that w/ a paper clip or pen you can see that it works perfect.

so my fix was a rather ghetto simple fix and all i did was cutt a peice of paper, and wedge it on the power button as you can see in pic 3. after that paper was wedged on there i was then able to turn on and off my phone. Although it doesn't click anymore at least now when i push the button it works lol..

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  2.    #2  
    also, note when you put the power button back on the phone to line up the button because it only goes in one way.

That's how I fixed mine a few months ago. I posted a reply here but it went unnoticed.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...on-failed.html
    Follow Me On

awesome...thanks.
    my button just stopped working...didn't drop the phone or do anything to it. this fix does the trick.
  5.    #5  
    sweet lol i think i replied as no i never had to replace mine lmao but i guess it ended up happening to me

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    paper rocks I've used it to fix a faulty battery from falling out before
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by onyoursix View Post
    paper rocks I've used it to fix a faulty battery from falling out before
    lol, i used paper on my old centro because for some reason the battery cover was always lose on it... when i put paper it would give it more of a tight fit lol

So I guess if duct tape is the handy man's universal tool, then paper is the smartphone owner's universal tool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So I guess if duct tape is the handy man's universal tool, then paper is the smartphone owner's universal tool!
    Duct tape can be a valuable tool for celphone users too; I recall using duct tape to hold my Kyocera 2235's battery door on back in the day.

That phone *REALLY* looked ghetto when I finally got rid of it (replaced it with a Treo 650) in late 2005.

I still have it in a drawer. It's also amazing how truly HUGE it seems compared to the Pre and Treo, which is amusing since it felt so tiny when I got it!
  10.    #10  
    No lie i carry my pre in this duck tape pouch everywhere i go lol

jk

11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Yup that is exactly how I fixed mine after the dreaded drop onto power button. That is the most common solution I've seen. One other suggestion was to use a small piece of rubber (rubber band, eraser, etc) but I haven't tried that personally.

Glad it worked!
  12.    #12  
    ^ true i didn't think about that

no offense intended but dont waste your time. take the phone back to sprint. this is a known issue and they should replace it for free. if not raise hell. same thing happened to mine and had no problems. button just wares out on some of the phones. my two cents.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
  14.    #14  
    it's cool cause my phone is mint no wobble or anything. I'm affraid they will try to give me a refurb with oreo effect or tell me it's cause I dropped it. Either way i'm satisfied lol

Thanks for this guys! just had mine stop working in the middle of the work day and found this post. I just used a straight razor and cut a 2mm x 1mm piece of rubber (I used a rubber band) and then cut it's thickness to fit. my button is fixed and still even has a "click" fee to it.
    D-u-c-t

Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    no lie i carry my pre in this duck tape pouch everywhere i go lol

jk
    Put a sliver of paper over the top of the interior button and worked like a charm. I was able to take the button off easily after removing the back cover and using a small paperclip pry up the button from the little holes showing through when the back cover is off. I tried using a rubberband, but it was way to thick and gave me no response. I then used a slightly thicker than normal piece of paper it works great now! Thanks to those who thought of this, including you syphon.
  18.    #18  
    i actually found that if you cut a peice of erase off a pensil it works the best, because it always retains its size. paper will eventualy flatten out after a while. but the eraser does not....

I found a really effective way of fixing a stuck power button. I'm dead serious and when the power button feels like there is no spring to it anymore. All you have to do is flick the back cover near and above the LED flasher and also anywhere near the power button. This works every time my power button starts to feel less responsive.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    As we say at work... "Duct Tape, hook tools, and a Makita and you can rule the world". Now I'll have to add "paper clip" to that one!

Great info (I hope I never have to use it)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast