Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Be careful with this "fix." I tried it. Power button still doesn't work and now I can't remove button from phone.

Edit: Took it to Sprint store and they popped it out in 10 minutes. Works like new again. (We'll see for how long.)
    Last edited by apalemick; 02/13/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidminor03 View Post
    no offense intended but dont waste your time. take the phone back to sprint. this is a known issue and they should replace it for free. if not raise hell. same thing happened to mine and had no problems. button just wares out on some of the phones. my two cents.
    I walked into the Sprint store today, showed the guy my stuck power button and walked out with a new phone (battery, charger and cable). He said he has seen quite a few of these stuck buttons and that it is definitely a problem. He also went to the back of the shop and pulled out a "knowledge base" report on how to fix the problem. He said they expect him to fix it with very vague directions and 2 photos, but he said its just easier to send the phones back for repair.

I got a brand new phone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    This fix seems to be working ok for me. We'll see how it holds up. I'm afraid to take my phone back and swap it out because most people are getting refurbs and while my phone does have a good bit of wobble to it and now the power button issue, it at least works and I don't want to end up with a refurb with other non-cosmetic problems.
    Gllad I stumbled across this thread. I'd been putting off taking my phone to Sprint to have them fix this issue, partly because I don't have the time, and partly because I don't want to go through the hassle of acquiring/reconfiguring a refurbished phone. Plus I'd have to pay for a new screen cover.

I used an eraser instead of a piece of paper and it works like a charm!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    I walked into the Sprint store today, showed the guy my stuck power button and walked out with a new phone (battery, charger and cable). He said he has seen quite a few of these stuck buttons and that it is definitely a problem. He also went to the back of the shop and pulled out a "knowledge base" report on how to fix the problem. He said they expect him to fix it with very vague directions and 2 photos, but he said its just easier to send the phones back for repair.

I got a brand new phone.
    One of the times I had to take my phone to Sprint that it actually needed replacing was for the power button issue, and I was given a refurbished instead of a new one. Oh well, luck was on your side.
    I found duct tape does wonders at keeping the significant other quiet and off my Pre
  7.    #27  
    fix still works for me, i ended up just cutting off a peice of an eraser instead of paper, i've had it in there for weeks, haven't had a problem.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    lol, i used paper on my old centro because for some reason the battery cover was always lose on it... When i put paper it would give it more of a tight fit lol
    me too!
    i actually found that if you cut a peice of erase off a pensil it works the best, because it always retains its size. paper will eventualy flatten out after a while. but the eraser does not....
    I actually had this issue for nearly 4 MONTHS!
    but i used the eraser and it works like new. clicks and everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by onyoursix View Post
    paper rocks I've used it to fix a faulty battery from falling out before
    scissors!
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    Gllad I stumbled across this thread. I'd been putting off taking my phone to Sprint to have them fix this issue, partly because I don't have the time, and partly because I don't want to go through the hassle of acquiring/reconfiguring a refurbished phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    One of the times I had to take my phone to Sprint that it actually needed replacing was for the power button issue, and I was given a refurbished instead of a new one. Oh well, luck was on your side.
    I had to take mine in 2 weeks ago for this issue, and Sprint was able to repair the button without replacing the phone.
    i actually found that if you cut a peice of erase off a pensil it works the best, because it always retains its size. paper will eventualy flatten out after a while. but the eraser does not....
    Thanks for the idea and business card paper rolled once to size same as switch under button. Works like a champ and problem resolved for wife's Pre.

Thanks, Sorli...
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    I had to take mine in 2 weeks ago for this issue, and Sprint was able to repair the button without replacing the phone.
    Damn... guess I got really lucky then. They didn't have any "repair" employees at this shop -- so I am pretty sure they will never even attempt to repair the phone.
    This happened to me and I took it back to Sprint. They looked at it for a few minutes and gave me a replacement then and there. No hassle, other than putting my patches back on.
    Well, I'm on my second pre, my launch day one was replaced due to the power button failure and today my replacement has just had the same failure.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    lol, i used paper on my old centro because for some reason the battery cover was always lose on it... when i put paper it would give it more of a tight fit lol
    Great advice, and sorry to be the grammar/spelling cop here, but this is such a common error I thought I could help:

Lose (opposite of win)
    Loose (opposite of tight)

I use the fact that the words 'lost' and 'loss' have 4 letters in them to remind myself that lose (pronounced "looz") has a similar meaning.
    Last edited by rlopin; 12/15/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    i took apart an old dvd player remote (the dvd player is long gone) and cut off a sliver of one of the rubber buttons. Took the power button off the pre with my finger nails (pinch and pull) and slipped the sliver into phone above the gold "button" and popped in the power button..just like new i'll wait until the optimus s is free again and upgrade.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12