1.    #1  
    Does any one have the Mobile HotSpot for Sprint for more than a month now? I was wondering if they charged more than the original bill? I have had it on my phone for a couple of days now and I got asked the question if i was being charged for doing it and could not answer. can any one help on this matter.

Thanks.
    Sprint can not see if the phone is being used as a mobile hotspot. Your bill will not change.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidchaos View Post
    Sprint can not see if the phone is being used as a mobile hotspot. Your bill will not change.
    Do you have the Mobile Hot Spot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzare View Post
    Does any one have the Mobile HotSpot for Sprint for more than a month now? I was wondering if they charged more than the original bill? I have had it on my phone for a couple of days now and I got asked the question if i was being charged for doing it and could not answer. can any one help on this matter.

Thanks.
    Sprint may not be able to tell...

but Ceiling Cat see ALLLLLLL!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidchaos View Post
    How do you know this? Aonic, author of My Tether, has been looking at the MHS code and how it sets itself up. He reported that he's now using the APIs to get his program to work the same way. And it works.

He may just not have been very specific, but I'm curious about the risks associated with relying on new APIs instead of relying on linux only - as previous tether solutions did. Does sprint and/or verizon now have a way to positively determine that you're tethering? E.g. if the API is called that does it?

Sprint didn't know about previous tether solutions and I can see how it'd be difficult for them to know. But I don't know what these APIs are doing. And it may be possible that Sprint does now know.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The API is on the phone, not through Sprint. All it needs is an Evdo connection to the Sprint data network. Sprint does not know how you use your WiFi, unless Pre sends the WiFi information to Sprint. I highly doubt Pre does it, because it would be a big privacy issue. I would not want Sprint to know how many people are on my WiFi, or my WiFi's setup.
    i can't find that app in app store???? (hotspot app)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by datmescandude View Post
    It's not an app in the app store you have to install through QI.
    please dont go over your 5gb a month limit.. please dont abuse it
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    What do you mean ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzare View Post
    What do you mean ?
    He means that currently sprint is turning a blind eye to tethering, but if enough people do it and do it in excess, it is likely that they will no longer ignore it and start looking into excessive data and tethering and charge us. Tethering isn't meant to be a replacement for primary internet access, simply a solution for getting internet access when you need it and have no other options.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksfireman82 View Post
    He means that currently sprint is turning a blind eye to tethering, but if enough people do it and do it in excess, it is likely that they will no longer ignore it and start looking into excessive data and tethering and charge us. Tethering isn't meant to be a replacement for primary internet access, simply a solution for getting internet access when you need it and have no other options.
    ahh I see what you mean. I don't use it all the time I only use it when I'm on the road. but it is nice to have, almost every were I go now has free WiFi so it aint a big thing for me to use it but i like the fact that I have it for when I need it who ever does use it all the time should be STOPPED
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Sprint does not know how you use your WiFi, unless Pre sends the WiFi information to Sprint. I highly doubt Pre does it, because it would be a big privacy issue.
    I don't think Sprint & VZW need to monitor it for anything other than tethering. I don't think it's a privacy concern. I don't think they'd be gathering information about your network. Rather I think they'd arguing that they're monitoring your usage for billing purposes, whey they are obligated to do.

But you may be right. I was pretty confident that this information couldn't be determined when tethering just used facilities in Linux. But now that there's an API maybe it will first check w/the carrier to determine if the feature is allowed.

I can't rule it out as a possibility.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by datmescandude View Post
    Any kind of tethering, via USB or application, is a violation of the T&C's of your Sprint agreement. You will not find any such application freely available on Precentral or the official App Catalog.
    i need this app please anyone
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    There is no data use limit on smartphones. This is a cap meant for data cards/USB modem. That said, curtailing data usage to under 5GB a month is a good practice to stay under the radar, not attract attention and promote Sprint's 'cold-shoulder' to the minority who do tether in violation of the T&C's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i need this app please anyone
    There is also MyTether. It was the first tethering applcation by author Aonic. He's recently re-written MyTether to use the same API's that Vzw's Mobile Hot Spot uses. However, Aonic's MyTether has additional features that MSP does not.

There was some displeasure by many as Aonic requires a donation to obtain the software, unethical as viewed by some. Also, the installation method did cause some issues with earlier webOS updates and some claim leaves a venerability "hole". I believe Aonic has changed and updated MyTether and addressed these concerns the latest release.