1.    #1  
    Anyway...

I am a 11 year Sprint/Palm customer currently using a Treo 755p. I am not a power user by any means (never use data for instance...) but have some very specific needs concerning my phone. I was hoping that Pre or some other crafty 3rd party people have met my needs:

-Absolutely has to run a PalmOS program that I use for work every day. I think that there are emulators out there. I am not sure.

-Has to be able to sync with my laptop (not "cloud") which takes the info from my specific work app and inserts into a totally different program on my PC.

-Can assign different sounds/songs to specific incoming callers, text messages, or voice mail messages. I rely on this feature HIGHLY to distinguish work or personal calls when the phone is out of reach or in my pocket.

-Has a memo app or function like the PalmOS one. (Not the stupid "sticky pad" one) I need to be able to sort and categorize my info. I have over 15 memo categories with perhaps 60 items in each which then have data about each item.

I have been reluctant to switch to another "smart phone" because PalmOS's PIM managing is just about perfect for me. Plus my work specific app is PalmOS bound. I already know I will have to switch from my super awesome, old-as-dirt service plan (circa 2000) to an everything plan. The added cost might be worth it if the above items can be accommodated.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Sure sounds to me like you are going to keep your Treo. Palm has abandoned many of the original PIM functions and categories are gone (contacts, notes, etc.). For WebOS you can get a PalmOS application (emulator) to run Palm applications but without the same sync ability you may discover that they no longer work the same. If you are interested in switching to a Pre then I highly recommend you post with specifics of applications and data and let those who also use them respond. Good luck.
    does not sound good for you because palm still has no native syncing program at all . But there are other options , I just don't know if you'll like them. Do a search on syncing .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Finleyville View Post
    Anyway...

I am a 11 year Sprint/Palm customer currently using a Treo 755p. I am not a power user by any means (never use data for instance...) but have some very specific needs concerning my phone. I was hoping that Pre or some other crafty 3rd party people have met my needs:

-Absolutely has to run a PalmOS program that I use for work every day. I think that there are emulators out there. I am not sure.

-Has to be able to sync with my laptop (not "cloud") which takes the info from my specific work app and inserts into a totally different program on my PC.

-Can assign different sounds/songs to specific incoming callers, text messages, or voice mail messages. I rely on this feature HIGHLY to distinguish work or personal calls when the phone is out of reach or in my pocket.

-Has a memo app or function like the PalmOS one. (Not the stupid "sticky pad" one) I need to be able to sort and categorize my info. I have over 15 memo categories with perhaps 60 items in each which then have data about each item.

I have been reluctant to switch to another "smart phone" because PalmOS's PIM managing is just about perfect for me. Plus my work specific app is PalmOS bound. I already know I will have to switch from my super awesome, old-as-dirt service plan (circa 2000) to an everything plan. The added cost might be worth it if the above items can be accommodated.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    You should stick with the phone you've got. The Pre doesnt' do those things (for the most part).

If you don't have a phone that does those things, I have a few PalmOS devices laying around, I could sell you one cheap.
  5.    #5  
    I am really sorry to hear this! I could use a phone that surfs well so I can log into my work website anywhere. Yes I know that my Treo can surf. But my "unlimited" internet access plan is based on the very old Free & Clear Family plans. Plus, navigating with it really stinks.....
    I believe that 3rd party apps will take care of your first three requirements:

Classic will run many Palm OS apps and it has a free trial (7 days, I think) to check out your existing programs.

There are several 3rd party apps that allow sync with your desktop, such as CompanionLink and Echo and programs from Mark/Space and Chapura.

There is at least one homebrew app My notification that allows for some customized notifications.

I can't help you on the memo app. I've been waiting for Docs To Go, but it has been delayed.
    What program palmOS are you using? Classic does sync with desktop and support conduits, but some programs dont work within classic. Perhaps if we new what app it was someone has had some experience with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    What program palmOS are you using? Classic does sync with desktop and support conduits, but some programs dont work within classic. Perhaps if we new what app it was someone has had some experience with it.
    Yeah I was going to post that. As long as the app works in Classic and syncs correctly it should be fine. The memo app can be used in Classic as well if you don't want to use the webOS memo app.

OP: People usually leave classic open as a card all the time if they are a heavy classic user.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo