Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I know we have all experienced the "Too Many Cards Open" error message even when we only have one card open. I experience this every day when using the web browser. There seems to be a memory leak in the browser, and card information is not cleared from the RAM when a card is closed.

Whenever this happens, a phone reboot or simply waiting for the RAM to clear on it own is a frustrating process (5 mins of not being able to use the phone) - and having to close that one open card can suck too when you finally find the page you've spent 15 mins looking for and you can't even bookmark it because of the error....

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be great to have a "RAM Cleaner" like back in the good-old-days of desktop PCs with 128 megs RAM. We would tap the icon, and the app would clear the RAM and solve the problem without requiring a 5 minute waiting period.

I'm sure it would be more difficult than it sounds, if it is even technically possible....but it sure would be great!

P.S. - Yes I know about the patch that is supposed to alleviate the problem, but it seems to have done nothing for me (well maybe I only get the error message 3 times a day now instead of 5... lol)
    I could be wrong but wouldn't the Luna restart be the same thing? That only takes like 30 seconds or so.
    jstop?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    I could be wrong but wouldn't the Luna restart be the same thing? That only takes like 30 seconds or so.
    What? Takes forever for me (I would say a good 2 minutes or so).
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Wipe and then Dr. you phone. Strangely, I just received a re-manufactured Pre because my volume down button stopped working. I can now have the calendar, email, phone and messaging apps open, and I didn't get a too many cards error opening NFS. I couldn't do that with even one app open before.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Wipe and then Dr. you phone. Strangely, I just received a re-manufactured Pre because my volume down button stopped working. I can now have the calendar, email, phone and messaging apps open, and I didn't get a too many cards error opening NFS. I couldn't do that with even one app open before.

Actually, I just wiped and doctored last week. The ONLY time I've ever got this message is with heavy web browsing (which I do daily). I've never had a problem with having too many apps open. If you open and close 15-20 different websites on 15-20 different cards in a 10 minute period, you will almost assuredly get this message.... even on a freshly doctored phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    What? Takes forever for me (I would say a good 2 minutes or so).
    Luna restart -- just restarts the UI, takes about 30 seconds, you are talking about a full reboot (Orange - Sym - R) -- fully restarts the phone, takes 2 to 3 minutes.
    Does a Luna Restart clear the RAM?
    I don't think Luna clears the RAM; if I am not mistaken it simply restarts the GUI, sort of like CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE on X in Linux.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    True mercy is never earned.
    when I get the to many cards error starting nfs a luna restart fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    Yes. When Luna starts on the Pre it reserves all but 4-6mb of RAM on the device. I could be wrong, but I would think of Luna as a sandbox(virtual environment), apps run and use memory(virtual RAM) in the Luna sandbox. So if there is a memory leak in the Luna sandbox, restarting the Luna sandbox would free up the virtual memory. Just like rebooting a computer. It resets the RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    I would not say it clears THE RAM, but it does clear up some. Luna restart stops all running UI apps (which would be the ones sucking the memory). So it does clear the RAM that is being used by the UI apps.
    JsTop...run "Garbage Collect JavaScript Heap" from the drop down menu and give it a few seconds. Try this as a 1st step. It is far faster than Luna Restart and could resolve your issue.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    A luna restart seems like a decent fix as it is faster than a full reboot, however it will close the stuff that you have open and are currently working on as well. That is what I wanted the app for - so i can keep that last card or two open and clear the closed card RAM data at the same time. Like I said in the OP, not sure if it is possible (or feasible)....
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    JsTop...run "Garbage Collect JavaScript Heap" from the drop down menu and give it a few seconds. Try this as a 1st step. It is far faster than Luna Restart and could resolve your issue.
    Wow never heard of JsTop before - this seems interesting - I will try it out.... Will this close the cards you still have open though?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Ok, just tested it out and it does not close the open cards :-) I will test more later!
    Last edited by Maximo_; 02/04/2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Yes. When Luna starts on the Pre it reserves all but 4-6mb of RAM on the device. I could be wrong, but I would think of Luna as a sandbox(virtual environment), apps run and use memory(virtual RAM) in the Luna sandbox. So if there is a memory leak in the Luna sandbox, restarting the Luna sandbox would free up the virtual memory. Just like rebooting a computer. It resets the RAM.
    Not completely true. Not that I know everything about this, but I would love to learn more!!

BTW, for the numbers below I use the Linux "top" command that can be run on your Pre from the Terminal application that you can find in Preware.

Every Pre has 256MB of RAM. 128 MB of that is set aside for swap space (unless you have installed the patch to lower this amount). Leaving 128MB for the OS and apps running on the OS. Of that 128MB remaing it is doled out to the process running in Linux. LunaSysMgr use by far the majority of the physical memory, on my device right now it is using 114mb of physical memory and 256MB of virtual memory. The next closest process is Java (this is what the javascript runs in if I am not mistaken). The Java process is using 35MB of physical memory and about 92K virtual memory.

What does all of this gobbledy**** mean? That this is a full blown computer running on your Pre, it is not just a phone, there really is a lot going on behind the scenes and the apps that you see running on your screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    A luna restart seems like a decent fix as it is faster than a full reboot, however it will close the stuff that you have open and are currently working on as well. That is what I wanted the app for - so i can keep that last card or two open and clear the closed card RAM data at the same time. Like I said in the OP, not sure if it is possible (or feasible)....
    From what I understand, I would think its not possible. The Mojo Framework already automatically runs a full Garbage Collection based on certain events triggered in the app code. I think the problem is, Palm's Garbage Collection looses track of the orphaned code objects. Palm needs to improve their garbage collection system. Then we would not have worry about this. Doing a JSTop Garbage Collection does help in some cases, but it can only recover what it knows about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Not completely true. Not that I know everything about this, but I would love to learn more!!

Every Pre has 256MB of RAM. 128 MB of that is set aside for swap space (unless you have installed the patch to lower this amount). Leaving 128MB for the OS and apps running on the OS. Of that 128MB remaing it is doled out to the process running in Linux.
    This does not look like the case to me. Does this mean that the report below on free memory is wrong?
    Code:
    In MB

root@palm-webos-device:/# free -tm
    free -tm
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        234          4          0         26         46
    -/+ buffers/cache:        161         77
    Swap:          127          0        127
    Total:         367        234        132
  19. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I was just thinking we need a way to trigger a GC on demand... I didn't realize JsTop has this built in. Cool!
    I have been having problems with too many cards a lot recently. JStop seems to to an ok job at freeing up a little memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast