Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    This does not look like the case to me. Does this mean that the report below on free memory is wrong?
    Code:
    In MB

root@palm-webos-device:/# free -tm
    free -tm
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           239        234          4          0         26         46
    -/+ buffers/cache:        161         77
    Swap:          127          0        127
    Total:         367        234        132
    I am away from my Pre for an hour or so :-(, but will check and get back to you. Never ran "free" on there...yet!

What I find interesting about the results above is that this means you have 367MB of memory on your Pre. What the? I am talking Pre, not Pre plus, I think you are too, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I am away from my Pre for an hour or so :-(, but will check and get back to you. Never ran "free" on there...yet!

What I find interesting about the results above is that this means you have 367MB of memory on your Pre. What the? I am talking Pre, not Pre plus, I think you are too, right?
    Yea, I'm not sure that "free" is correct. The swap does not see them to be from a physical device. Free may not know that RAM is being used as swap. I don't know what /dev/mapper/store-swap is doing. So you could be right.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:# cat /proc/meminfo
    cat meminfo
    MemTotal:       244804 kB
    MemFree:         52428 kB
    MemchuteFree:   121596 kB
    Tmpfs:             392 kB
    Buffers:          3156 kB
    Cached:          41620 kB
    SwapCached:      25564 kB
    Active:         123712 kB
    Inactive:        39224 kB
    SwapTotal:      131064 kB
    SwapFree:        89052 kB
    Dirty:              32 kB
    Writeback:           0 kB
    AnonPages:      106380 kB
    Mapped:          21164 kB
    Slab:             6344 kB
    SReclaimable:     1820 kB
    SUnreclaim:       4524 kB
    PageTables:       1916 kB
    NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
    Bounce:              0 kB
    CommitLimit:    253464 kB
    Committed_AS:   823588 kB
    VmallocTotal:   647168 kB
    VmallocUsed:     11192 kB
    VmallocChunk:   632828 kB

root@palm-webos-device:# cat /proc/swaps
    cat swaps
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/mapper/store-swap                  partition       131064  42012   -1
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'll have to do some more testing, but I think JsTop might be just what I was looking for. Thank you everybody for all the info and responses!
    for brothers in arms I have found if I have more than 18mb in use, I wont get the app launched, sometimes the garbage collect can free it up, sometimes not. Doing a luna restart has allowed me to launch it. Everytime.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    What does this mean? I just rebooted my phone and the free mem is very low

MemTotal: 244804 kB
    MemFree: 4340 kB
    MemchuteFree: 87736 kB
    Tmpfs: 380 kB
    Buffers: 20892 kB
    Cached: 60292 kB
    SwapCached: 0 kB
    Active: 157444 kB
    Inactive: 49584 kB
    SwapTotal: 131064 kB
    SwapFree: 131064 kB
    Dirty: 0 kB
    Writeback: 0 kB
    AnonPages: 125856 kB
    Mapped: 28736 kB
    Slab: 9892 kB
    SReclaimable: 5204 kB
    SUnreclaim: 4688 kB
    PageTables: 1904 kB
    NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
    Bounce: 0 kB
    CommitLimit: 253464 kB
    Committed_AS: 803772 kB
    VmallocTotal: 647168 kB
    VmallocUsed: 11192 kB
    VmallocChunk: 632828 kB
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    What does this mean? I just rebooted my phone and the free mem is very low

MemTotal: 244804 kB
    MemFree: 4340 kB
    Not something I would worry about too much, just means that there is only about 4MB of physical memory that is not in use.

Ideally (and I know I will get arguments on this), you want free CPU and free MEM to be 0 -- you want your device fully utilized. What's the use in having memory/cpu that isn't being used?

I would love to see some of these numbers from someone who has a Pre Plus -- any takers?
    Yes you are going to get arguments because it does not make any sense. If all the resources are engaged how would you expect the phone to handle more cards? this is with no cards open after a full restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Not something I would worry about too much, just means that there is only about 4MB of physical memory that is not in use.

Ideally (and I know I will get arguments on this), you want free CPU and free MEM to be 0 -- you want your device fully utilized. What's the use in having memory/cpu that isn't being used?

I would love to see some of these numbers from someone who has a Pre Plus -- any takers?
    This sounds a little crazy to me
    Generally, swap space is on slow storage, while RAM is all fast access storage. So 256MB of RAM and 128MB of swap makes sense. The point in swap space is to give the OS room to expand past the amount of physical memory(RAM) at a large cost speed for those things pushed to swap. A smart OS will push unimportant things to swap first so that important stuff isn't slowed down.

I'm not certain the Pre works this way, but it is a fair bet. It is the way Windows, Desktop/Server Linux, and OSX work.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    This sounds a little crazy to me
    That's OK, I've been accused of way worse!

Here's my thought process on that though. When you look at JSTop, typically it is using between 20 and 30MB. But what is that 20 and 30 MB of? If you look at top on the Linux side the "java" process always has more than that allocated (mine typically is between 32 and 50MB). Therefore the java process is doing it's own memory mgmt internally somehow for the cards.

Oh well, I am not a Linux memory expert, nor did I stay at Holiday-Inn Express last night, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I am going to stay at a Holiday-Inn Express, and when I understand all this I will be back to explain it to the rest of you.
    Hm, here's a question...If I'm too low on RAM to open another card such that I get the "too many cards" error, how do I launch JSTop? I'll have to sacrifice one or more of my already-open cards, right?

Sometimes, it takes closing a bunch of cards even to open one browser card. Last night, I got down to one open browser card after the error, and I still couldn't open what I needed in a new browser card. *sigh* Bookmarked and retarted Pre.
    Also, the patch that folks have mentioned that is intended to help....Is that in Preware? If so, what's the name? Thanks in advance!
    Well it isn't JSTop that you want to run unless you want to kill an app. What has been discussed in this thread is doing a Luna restart. You can do this with the LunaManager app available in Preware or I think I remember seeing a patch by Jason that makes this available via pressing the power button.
    Shadowhawk, there is a patch called "Lower Swap Threshold". It is available in Preware, but I just looked and it says it is not available for 1.3.5. So it may come back with 1.4, but they may have changed something that doesn't allow this patch to function anymore.
    Hm, it seems I was mixing up some patches and threads in my reading. I believe that the patch I had in mind was actually the "Cleanup Event Listeners" patch, found here http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ry-leak-3.html

The jury seems out on whether this still provides any help in 1.3.5.x.

Thanks for all the responses!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12