Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay I have had my palm pre since the beginning of December and I have had to do a factory reset on my phone about 5 times if not more now. Plus I have had to exchange it 2 times now. Yesterday all I did was do an EPR and then I put all my patches back in. Of course then all my instant messengers stopped working. I tried deleting patches and of course at the end I knew I was going to have the reset it again. I love the concept of the phone but I despise this phone.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    sounds like you've had an unfortunate personal experience, it's just chance
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    the patches are use at your own risk....i hate to say it but u have no1 yo blame but urself.

get a diff phone and try patching or homebrewing i guess.
    =[
    Sounds like patches aren't for you. Use WebOS Doctor to restore your phone to pristine state, and then leave it alone!
    if i could make love to webos i would but i would cheat on my pre when a newer model comes out har har
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/04/2010 at 10:15 AM.
    im getting an upgrade soon imma try out android but keep my pre not sure which one i will get im on sprint if you couldnt tell, supersonic and nexus one supposedly soon
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanjfaber View Post
    im getting an upgrade soon imma try out android but keep my pre not sure which one i will get im on sprint if you couldnt tell, supersonic and nexus one supposedly soon
    if you're sprint, don't count on nexus one coming anytime soon. by the time - if ever - it comes out, it'll be sorely outdated.

if you want android on sprint, go with hero. but otherwise remain faithful to your pre if you can live without android I went from droid to pre plus and am pretty pleased with the change
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    have you tried a completely new profile? starting fresh
    Quote Originally Posted by yyandrew View Post
    by the time - if ever - it comes out, it'll be sorely outdated.
    It was released outdated. It has a trackball, who uses those anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    It was released outdated. It has a trackball, who uses those anymore.
    I could see it being useful for selecting text and moving around in a text field, at least. That's about it though...
    obviously you never used a androdi trackball before it's actually exremelly usefull
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I hate to say it but as much as I love webos and my pre, maybe it just isn't for everyone..

I don't get it. We get more than the other two major platforms do, except apps right now. And you get the option to hack ur phone to death.

you don't like doctoring ur phone? Well lets put aside that you probably are making mistakes that are causing it to crash....but look at ur options on the other platforms if you screw up ur device. Apple-bricked, return to apple store to fix it. Android-i don't know what they have but I bet it's not as simple as doctoring.

if you complain about plugging ur phone in and running a program, I'd hate to see you after uve had to return ur phone to the store 5 times to have it fixed!

in summary, if you don't have the ability to follow directions, maybe the pre isn't for you.
    didja ever stop to think what your Pre thinks of you

remember folks it's just a phone..........
    Its simple. No patches = no problems
    Patching = potential problems and incompatibility

You can't have it both ways.

If you want a rock solid stable Pre and if you don't have the stomach to run the Doctor every once in a while then don't patch.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

If you want a rock solid stable Pre and if you don't have the stomach to run the Doctor every once in a while then don't patch.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I have had to run WebOS doctor several times and every time was because I screwed something up. IMO, it is a small price to pay for the flexibility that WebOS offers.

Thankfully, if I do need to doctor my Pre, the Pre goes back to pretty much the same state it was before I doctored it with no real work on my part without being tied to a specific computer.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    you don't like doctoring ur phone? Well lets put aside that you probably are making mistakes that are causing it to crash....but look at ur options on the other platforms if you screw up ur device. Apple-bricked, return to apple store to fix it. Android-i don't know what they have but I bet it's not as simple as doctoring.
    You don't have to take it to Apple, you can just do a factory reset or whatever it's called.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

Well, see, to me it is all a matter of attention. If you pay attention to what you are doing the "potential problems and incompatibility" lowers to close to zero risk (NOT zero, but close to it).

My son has a friend who has a Pre. He was installing patches and themes left and right, installing from WOSQI the .ipkg files, installing themes over the top of other themes, using WOSQI to copy files hither and yon, then had the cajones to say "Man, this phone sucks, I can't boot it anymore". (I helped him doctor it, but I'm sure he will be back to doctor again). The moral of the story is that you don't just go hog wild and start mucking with stuff you have no clue about. Likewise back when the VKB came out so many people were posting this command/that command to run to do stuff that people who didn't have a clue were unintentionally messing up their Pre. People typing Linux commands who have no idea what in the world Linux is...

Get your patches from a reputable source, use the tools properly, and know what you are doing and you will be fine (with potentially a trip or two to the doctor, no biggie I've been there myself and quite easy to do!).
    Personally ive returned my pre like 3 time to the sprint store but i bought it as soon as it came out and i knew there were going to be bugs, its part of the obvious. I was dissapointed at first but as the updates came along the pre has been the best phone ive had from sprint plus webos is really something special. I truly recomend this phone to people i made my sister buy it. Theres just so many ways you can modify it, everyday theres something new about the pre.
    I hate these useless threads
    I've had my Pre from when it first came in and I have not had any complaints. It's fallen on the concrete of parkingl lots, it's been accidentally tossed from table from one side of the room across the floor. Not to mention the couple of times I had to run WebOsDoctor because Homebrew was funny like that at first.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast