Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    57 minutes later lets try to make this a little simpler... i tried to follow your haphazard instructions

i downloaded terminal from preware, i typed:
    rootfs_open
    rmdir /media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard
    rootfs_open -r

my phone rebooted

i opened preware tried to install the virtual keyboard patch and i get an IPKG error, previously applied patch detected

any suggestions from here?

running clean up vkb has not helped

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kjparfekt View Post
    57 minutes later lets try to make this a little simpler... i tried to follow your haphazard instructions

rootfs_open
    rmdir /media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard
    rootfs_open -r

my phone rebooted

i opened preware tried to install the virtual keyboard patch and i get an IPKG error, previously applied patch detected

any suggestions from here?

running clean up vkb has not helped

Thanks
    Ok, it was
    rmdir /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard

But, that was another error :P

Previously applied patch detected?

In fact, the commands you typed are nearly harmless, as they only erases the directory if it's empty, so you don't have to worry that much.

For the error, I once got that error after a "full reset" with patches on. Back in the days I used webosquickinstall, the option was "device management". Search for the virtual keyboard patch, and ask for it to uninstall.

After that, delete both /media/internal/virtual-keyboard and /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard

(The first delete is also done with the linux app "cleanup-vkb"), the second worked for me
    ok let me try again:

rootfs_open
    rmdir /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard
    rootfs_open -r

my phone rebooted

i opened preware tried to install the virtual keyboard patch and i get an IPKG error.
    IPKG log:

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: failure during post install script execution
    ok let me try again:

rootfs_open
    rootfs_open -r

my phone rebooted

i opened preware tried to install the virtual keyboard patch and i get an IPKG error.
    IPKG log:

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: failure during post install script execution
    Yeah, that's exactly as I did it, but in my case it did work...

Sorry to hear that it doesn't help in your case... :S
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    have you tried running the clean vkb through webosqi? That's how I got mine cleaned up and installed VKB with a different skin.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Here's what happened to me:

Wanted VK. New to the entire Preware thing. Downloaded/installed the whole shebang needed for Preware (quickinstall, yada yada) and got to the installing of the VK. Got the error.

Looked for a solution; saw the "Clean VBK" stuff; could not find the patch for this. Did not realize I would have to update my Preware to get this.

Promptly removed the whole shebang and decided that I just did not have the patience to deal with any problems. I'm a whimp. I had not done the homebrew thing before last nightbecause I just did not want to hassle with anything; I actually do software support and deal with stuff like this all day long. I just did not want to have to mess with this stuff in my downtime. But I really wanted the VK so I though I would jump in. I jumped out right away.
    Last edited by SROJR; 02/17/2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Guys Try running the emergency migration Helper 1st. Its on Preware and in WebOS QI. Also make sure you're running the latest version of WebOS QI 3.01 if not get it here.
    WebOS QI

Delete/uninstall virtual key board. then re-install it from preware or WebOS QI 3.01. All should be well after that.

Also make sure you have the latest version of preware also. Just look in updates in preware. find preware and update.
    I had the vkb running fine yesterday and then ran preware today. saw it was listed under updates. ran the update. noticed everything i recently installed yesterday had updates... that made no sense. i knew then everything was listed under updates for no good reason. trying to update the vkb killed its install. now cleaup keyboard files doesn't fix it. manual delete of the kb folder doesn't help either. will just wait for the next patch to fix whatever is going on.
    @ esc1 it wasn't for no reason. All the patches had updates because Web OS Internalz released an update to the patching technology.
    I had 30+ patches installed because of this issue I ended up running Emergency Patch Recovery as instructed by another thread. So now I've got no patches up and don't feel like going through this whole process again only to probably hit some more problems when the new update eventually hits (so what March now maybe). Realizing how much I'm not a fan of the Pre without patches has me seriously considering finally making the switch to the iPhone or giving an Android a try.
    I had 30+ patches installed because of this issue I ended up running Emergency Patch Recovery as instructed by another thread. So now I've got no patches up and don't feel like going through this whole process again only to probably hit some more problems when the new update eventually hits (so what March now maybe). Realizing how much I'm not a fan of the Pre without patches has me seriously considering finally making the switch to the iPhone or giving an Android a try.
    Have you tried the iPhone without a jailbreak?
    Yea don't even look at the iphone. And forget the att network. Droid might be worth a look. Lots of emulators. Any app you pay to download you can try out as long as you want and if you don't like it delete it and get your money back. Phones a bit too bulky for me though. Service might be better on Verizon for me but Sprint is a lot cheaper.
    Tried everything as well but still getting that annoying error!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko View Post
    Tried everything as well but still getting that annoying error!
    1st make sure you have the latest version of WebOS QI 3.01 and the latest version of preware. If not, update them! dont worry about seeing patches of apps that you install under the update apps. usually you will often see the same version that you already installed. Just check the number its usually a 1.3.5-3 type of number. Then check the same number under your installed packages/apps if they are the same dont worry about it. If they are different iwould wait to update (other than preware & webOS QI) since the 1.4 OTA update isnt out yet. I say this because of the AUPT problems they're having right now. Just wait til the developers get the kinks worked out, there is no rush.

Now for the VKB. once you have the updated WebOS QI or/and Preware (dont know which you are using), find VKB (virtual keyboard) and uninstall it.
    Then install Cleanup VKB. then reinstall VKB through the latest installer (webos QI or preware). I would restart the phone just to be sure & it should be there.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/224720-fix-virtual-keyboard-after-update-like.html
    Last edited by bodyshop; 02/19/2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added Link;
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    1st make sure you have the latest version of WebOS QI 3.01 and the latest version of preware. If not, update them! dont worry about seeing patches of apps that you install under the update apps. usually you will often see the same version that you already installed. Just check the number its usually a 1.3.5-3 type of number. Then check the same number under your installed packages/apps if they are the same dont worry about it. If they are different iwould wait to update (other than preware & webOS QI) since the 1.4 OTA update isnt out yet. I say this because of the AUPT problems they're having right now. Just wait til the developers get the kinks worked out, there is no rush.

Now for the VKB. once you have the updated WebOS QI or/and Preware (dont know which you are using), find VKB (virtual keyboard) and uninstall it.
    Then install Cleanup VKB. then reinstall VKB through the latest installer (webos QI or preware). I would restart the phone just to be sure & it should be there.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/224720-fix-virtual-keyboard-after-update-like.html
    Simply doesn't work for me. Tried twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by esc1 View Post
    have you gone into your phone in usb mode and deleted the vk folder then uninstall and reinstall???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by esc1 View Post
    I did simple thing and maybe it will helps you too.

Turn on developers mode and then switch Pre on USB connection, find Virtual keyboard folder or files and delete it, after that go to prewere and install VK patch again. It worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12