Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Well I did it. I took the plunge.
    I threw of the security blanket that is my BlackBerry (Storm 9530) and ordered my first Palm product ever - Pre Plus on Verizon. In the limited time I've played w/ WebOS I love it. I'm nervous about the hardware - not a big slider fan. But the Amazon music store, graceful touch apps, and the ability to install some patch features is what ultimately drew me in.

I hope I did the right thing.

I almost went for the Pixi - I like that form factor better, but not sure I'd be happy with the performance/memory/gaming on that device.

Worst case - I'll take VZW up on their 30 day worry free guarantee.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest - I look forward to learning and using my Pre! I've already learned a ton by reading this site & forums.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/04/2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Welcome. Be sure to check out all the Sticky'd threads in the Pre section. Tons of great stuff to make your experience with the Pre rock.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    hope you enjoy your p+ as much as I am. Don't get discouraged by reading some of the forums. I will warn you the battery is still not great but it is still the best phone I ever had.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I did the same. I had a Storm, and this is definitely a much better device. I was unsure about leaving Blackberry, but it is worth it. The webOS is so much nicer that BB OS. The slider style takes a little getting used to, but the new Pres are better than the old ones in terms of hardware (or so I have read). After you live with it for a week or so, you will definitely find it more enjoyable (especially without that SurePress keyboard screen, which, in all honesty, kind of sucked).

I was glad to get rid of my Storm. As touch screen devices go, this is much better.
    I did the same had the storm. Pre rocks. battery life is getting better after the over the air upgrade in software. That was addressed at CES 2010 Jan 7th. Enjoy the phone!!! Enjoy the progression ride!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by qdenning View Post
    I threw of the security blanket that is my BlackBerry (Storm 9530) and ordered my first Palm product ever - Pre Plus on Verizon. In the limited time I've played w/ WebOS I love it. I'm nervous about the hardware - not a big slider fan. But the Amazon music store, graceful touch apps, and the ability to install some patch features is what ultimately drew me in.

I almost went for the Pixi - I like that form factor better, but not sure I'd be happy with the performance/memory/gaming on that device.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest - I look forward to learning and using my Pre! I've already learned a ton by reading this site & forums.
    How long did you own your Storm, I only lasted 6 months, that's all of the torture I could take and the Vkeyboard was absolutely horrible, you will like having a real keyboard. At first the Pre's keyboard seems small, but give it a chance, after a couple weeks you will really like it. Another thing I did not like about the Storm was the UI, I purchased an app called "Quick Launch" to give me easier access to my contacts and apps. The only thing you will miss from the Storm is the speaker system and the music app and the flexibility of to assign sounds and ringtones. Check out Preware, they have patches to help with assigning system sounds and many other features to help customize your Pre to your own personal tastes. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Netwrkr9 - you are absolutely right. One of the first things I liked about the pre was not having to press to highlight and then physically press down on the screen to select something. The touchscreen on the Pre is so much more responsive and easier to use.
    i didnt mind having to press and then click on mine.

and while everyone knows it wasn't perfect, my screen was perfectly fine to use once i did the Torx screw fix.

with that being said, i would never want to have to go back to the first gen Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by qdenning View Post

Welcome! I think you made the right decision (Pre vs. Pixi), coming from the BB Storm.
    I have several friends with BB's who are developing Pre envy lol. It's so much easier to use.
    Spend enough time in here and you'll have a great experience.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i didnt mind having to press and then click on mine.

and while everyone knows it wasn't perfect, my screen was perfectly fine to use once i did the Torx screw fix.

with that being said, i would never want to have to go back to the first gen Storm.
    Man, after 6 months I still could not type a sentence on my Storm without making 2 or 3 corrections. The problem for me was unless you had tiny fingers, you could not see what letter you were pressing because it would not pop up above the keyboard like most other Virtual Keyboards. I used to joke that they should have named the system "miss type" instead of "Suretype", lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Man, after 6 months I still could not type a sentence on my Storm without making 2 or 3 corrections. The problem for me was unless you had tiny fingers, you could not see what letter you were pressing because it would not pop up above the keyboard like most other Virtual Keyboards. I used to joke that they should have named the system "miss type" instead of "Suretype", lol.
    yeah, i know. once i took the leap of faith and just kinda trusted where the keys were, it was a lot better.

i do miss SureType on a physical keyboard though (Pearl) and I think it would be cool if Palm implemented that on a larger screen slab design, ala Pixi with a Pre sized screen which would allow for larger keys.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I'm another convert.

Was a Palm user for a long time.

Bought a Storm I on launch day...lasted about 9 months. Broke my contract, paid the ETF, and got me a Pre (Sprint).

Have NEVER looked back. At this point, there's NOTHING that I miss from the Storm or the Blackberry experience in general.
    You'll love it. Again the only thing that I miss a lot is sound profiles. Otherwise the pre does things comparable it better than any blackberry.
    I am another Storm to Pre+ convert. I had the Storm for over a year and it was driving me nuts by the end. So far I love the Pre.... Preware and patches really make this a flexible system.
    all you verizon people i feel bad for you 44.99 for unlimited data that suck but you love your phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsdawg View Post
    all you verizon people i feel bad for you 44.99 for unlimited data that suck but you love your phone
    $30 for non-business use.
    the battery will suck for the first week or so.. espcially when you first sync everything.. just give it a couple cycles so things can even out.