1.    #1  
    I have a question about Palm Pre camera. I was hoping someone who is familiar with the concept of autofocus in mobile cameras could help me out. Can autofocus be added to the Palm Pre via a firmware update or is this a limitation of the camera hardware? Thanks in advance.
    It doesn't have any moving parts so I don't think it's possible. Maybe digital focus?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  3.    #3  
    Does digital focus rely only on software? What I'm reading on various sites is that if the lens can not move then autofocus is out of the question. So we would never be capable of getting very good closeup pictures on the current hardware.
    digital focus just "zooms in" the pixels, or magnifies them.

whether that is software based or not? it probably is, but im just guessing.
    Search on here for the macro lens threads. A couple of people have built close-up systems using CD player lenses.

In fact - since I'm in a rare good mood tonight : http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-examples.html
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    digital focus just "zooms in" the pixels, or magnifies them.

whether that is software based or not? it probably is, but im just guessing.
    You are speaking of digital zoom.

The Pre is supposed to have software depth-of-field enhancement. Meaning that the range over which things are "in focus" is increased by sofware.