1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any tips for this issue?

Suddenly, the GPS readings on my Pre are wildly off, by half a mile to two miles whether I'm inside or outside. It used to be spot on.

Do you think this is a hardware issue or should I go to the Doctor?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    make sure gps is turned on
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akashhhhh View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for this issue?

Suddenly, the GPS readings on my Pre are wildly off, by half a mile to two miles whether I'm inside or outside. It used to be spot on.

Do you think this is a hardware issue or should I go to the Doctor?
    Assuming you have GPS on, I think there may be an actual issue. I've had the Pre since the summer and it's worked with no problem, but the last 2 weeks or so (since the last update?), I've been having the same issue. The GPS signal is inconsistent - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and it has nothing to do with being in area with bad GPS signal or blocked line of site to the satellites. I just reported it to Palm earlier this afternoon, and I'm actually on the phone with Sprint right now....I'll post back if I find out anything....I personally feel like something happened with the last WebOS update that allows the GPS receiver to go into sleep mode or something similar....I know Palm Pre Plus users are reporting this issue in large numbers....
    Last edited by ay; 02/03/2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo ;-)
  4.    #4  
    Great, please do post if you hear any information on this. I really never know when I'll get a SPOT ON reading or when I'll be a mile off...frustrating.
    I have had this problem for about 3 weeks. A good half mile off at home and at work, used to be dead on. Problem comes and goes.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Been having issues with mine too. Last week I had to do a restart and it started working again.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    There is a thread on here about the VZW gps issue, same thing almost. Everyone with a pre plus that I know of have this same problem, and I have had three Pre phones in two weeks (pre plus), with identical issues with GPS. I thought it was only the VZW versions of the Pre but maybe it's an OS issue across carriers.

Anyway, the only way it works is either wait 3 minutes in google maps, or fire up VZ Nav without purchasing, just fire it up and then it locks on right away.
    Add me to the list with GPS issues. I've had no problems with GPS. However, at some point in the past few weeks, it's been terribly off. Like others have said when I open google maps I'm always between 0.5 and 1.0 miles off and the circle that surrounds the dot is pretty large. I tried using Sprint navigation yesterday and it kept telling me I had a weak signal or no signal at all.

I have tried restarting the phone, putting in to airplane mode, and shutting off the GPS and google location service and then turning them both back on. I've also tried using GPS alone. No luck with any of these trouble shooting methods. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Hi all, I too have been having the same problem. I have a Sprint Pre - since last summer - and for the most part have had only sporatic GPS problems. However, for the past few weeks it seems I have them all the time. For example, Sprint Navigation cannot find my location and Google Maps cannot pinpoint my location withing less than several hundred feet, usually more. However, using the test feature (Device Info/Preferences/Interactive Tests) my Pre had no difficulty getting a GPS fix, even inside my home. I tried restarting without success but finally last night I decided to try removing the battery and restarting. Immediately after that both SN and GM worked. So for me, that's the temporary solution. The question of course is why is this happening? It must be connected to the last version update. Has anyone received any info from Sprint on this? It is annoying that they make no effort to communicate with users about these kinds of problems when it would be easy to do. I guess it's just the way they choose to deal with customers.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    One thing I noticed is google maps is giving me wrong directions.

And I've had trouble with Sprint Navigation finding locations/addresses.
    I had this issue as well and did some looking online and found that Sprint and other carries use a hybrid type GPS. They use AGPS ('A' for assisted) which is routed mainly through there network towers and such then uses the sat GPS to lock down. So I figured that if I keep the phones PRL and network settings up to date it will help. I've checked and updated those @ least once a week and has helped. I've gone from being off by 2 miles to 100-200 yds. I know that's not spot on but from 2 miles i'll take. Also if you travel alot this helps out for me also. It also maybe a placebo affect thinking that I'm doing something to help. Try that out and let me know if it helps you.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I've been having a problem with Trapster. It shows my location several hundred miles off (Houston or Dallas vs. Amarillo) but it still loads the speed traps where it thinks I am. When I load Google Maps I'm way off too. My girlfriends Pre has no problem getting a good location and we're both on Sprint. On a separate but possibly related note, my time has been off lately too, by a few hours at a time. It's like it feezes up somehow when I'm not using the phone. Resetting via Airplane Mode fixes the clock issue.
    It is using cell tower triangulation, not GPS. GPS is turned off or it lost signal for a second.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  14. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akashhhhh View Post
    Great, please do post if you hear any information on this. I really never know when I'll get a SPOT ON reading or when I'll be a mile off...frustrating.
    No input of any use from Sprint or Telenav yet, but I was able to use Sprint Navigation today with absolute precision on my location....I'm not sure if it's a coincidence yet or not (I'll want to do some more testing for a few days before I feel comfortable confirming either way), but this was my first day using Sprint Navigation since I removed Geotasks from the phone....Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but I'd be interested to know if anyone/everyone else having a similar issue might also have that app installed? I know it was giving me endless problems installing since a couple of updates ago, so maybe that was the culprit? Time will tell....
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Stearns View Post
    Hi all, I too have been having the same problem. I have a Sprint Pre - since last summer - and for the most part have had only sporatic GPS problems. However, for the past few weeks it seems I have them all the time. For example, Sprint Navigation cannot find my location and Google Maps cannot pinpoint my location withing less than several hundred feet, usually more. However, using the test feature (Device Info/Preferences/Interactive Tests) my Pre had no difficulty getting a GPS fix, even inside my home. I tried restarting without success but finally last night I decided to try removing the battery and restarting. Immediately after that both SN and GM worked. So for me, that's the temporary solution. The question of course is why is this happening? It must be connected to the last version update. Has anyone received any info from Sprint on this? It is annoying that they make no effort to communicate with users about these kinds of problems when it would be easy to do. I guess it's just the way they choose to deal with customers.
    Looks like you are going through the same issue I had. See my post and findings:http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2094048
  16. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    No input of any use from Sprint or Telenav yet, but I was able to use Sprint Navigation today with absolute precision on my location....I'm not sure if it's a coincidence yet or not (I'll want to do some more testing for a few days before I feel comfortable confirming either way), but this was my first day using Sprint Navigation since I removed Geotasks from the phone....Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but I'd be interested to know if anyone/everyone else having a similar issue might also have that app installed? I know it was giving me endless problems installing since a couple of updates ago, so maybe that was the culprit? Time will tell....
    Geotasks definitely seems to have been the culprit for me. I wonder if perhaps the WebOS and/or GPS chip has a problem handling multiple requests to the GPS chip at once, and that created the issue? Either way, deleting Geotasks definitely seems to have solved the problem for me. I hope this info helps someone at some point along the way.
    well, I was using my Pre Navigation last night, and as I was driving to my location, my phone totally locked up. I had to take the battery out to reset it. I didn't buy a separate GPS because I thougt I could use my phone. Lesson learned.
    mine is spot on. Everytime i open Google maps, it initially shows a location about 5 miles from me, but after about 10 seconds, it goes within 100ft radius of where i am.

Sprint Nav has been hit and miss for me, although i did successfully use it on a trip from texas to kentucky a while back. I was actually surprised how well it worked, even in the rural areas i passed through with no signal. My biggest problem with sprint nav is it not finding the GPS Sats. A restart takes care of it, but its frustrating.

Never installed Geotasks, so you may be on to something.