Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'll keep this short because I'm at work and rating lunch.

I'm on Pre #4 and it has a bad oreo effect all the sudden. I'm going to take it in today and request a replacement. One that works... If not I'll go to VZW and get the Pre+.

From what I hear the build quality is better, is this true? Is it worth it to switch considering I'm fed up with poor build quality (I have the money to switch)

I just want to hear some opinions, flames, people who did, people who are also considering it, etc. Thanks!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Have Pre Plus, in my opinion the build is the same...but I still like it.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    Have Pre Plus, in my opinion the build is the same...but I still like it.
    hmm I haven't heard of any Pre Plus users experiencing the oreo effect. That alone makes it worth it.
    What is the oreo effect I keep reading about. New to the Pre on VZN. My build quality seems good except it appears 2 keys produce double letters. I had similar problems with my 700P and 755. It seems like there is no build consistency so it may be worth it to stick with 2 bad keys. I may ask for a new one and get 4 the next time......
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    JMO, pick your carrier first and phone second. I have 3 pre's with little or no problems. Mine, I bought on release date and the only problem is the rubber usb cover fell off. My wife and son's shortly after, no problems except my wife's slider is a little tight (Insert joke here ).

Bottom line is that I've had great luck with all 3 of my phones. If spending more money on a plan is what you wan't, then I say go for it. Otherwise wait for the next version of the pre on sprint. Me, I'm sticking with Sprint.

Good luck
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Am I the only cheapskate on this board that wonders why you would want to pay more $ for VZN than Sprint for the same (or even lower level) of service, not to mention possibly paying a termination fee?? Yes, I'm assuming that your coverage area is the same for both carriers...

I agree with notaphonegeek, choose your carrier first. Pre build quality has improved over time, from what I read.
    Sanyo 8100 => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Pre (all on Sprint)
    What's the cost difference? Something tells me Sprint will be cheaper, is it really worth it? Just keep getting new Pres! Wouldn't it suck if you were to switch to the Pre Pluz on the expensive network, just to see us faithful Sprint people get a much more improved Pre or its successor this summer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    hmm I haven't heard of any Pre Plus users experiencing the oreo effect. That alone makes it worth it.
    It's too soon to tell how bad the oreo effect is on the Pre Plus. However, initial reports make it seem that the Pre Plus does have a better build quality.
    I have the pre plus and the pre. Pre plus has oreo affect. I'm tired of this phone already I just wish the C40 will show it's face..
    Sorry you could not get a Pre with a good slider. My launch day Pre is still fine. Let us know how you like the Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Jpick your carrier first and phone second.
    I completely agree with this. However, I would add that if Sprint & VZW are a wash in terms of signal quality for you, then find out what VZW's return policy is. Sprint's is that you get 30 days before you have to return it w/out incurring the early termination fee (ETF). If VZW has something similar, then just go buy a Pre+, test it out for a while and decide which you prefer. You'll have to pay for the service that you use, but maybe it's worth it.

Beware, however, that there may be an ETF in your future if you cancel the sprint account.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 02/03/2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    What's the cost difference? Something tells me Sprint will be cheaper, is it really worth it? Just keep getting new Pres! Wouldn't it suck if you were to switch to the Pre Pluz on the expensive network, just to see us faithful Sprint people get a much more improved Pre or its successor this summer?
    He's already said he has money, so I don't think it bothers him. Plus if a Pre 2 comes to Sprint in the Spring, he could just switch back.

If I had money, I'd switch to the Pre Plus on Verizon too. But because I don't, I won't. That means zero signal at my home and less signal at work, but I'll deal. Plus I like Sprint Navigator.
    Phone is great!! Solid as a rock...had it for over 1 week and i have played with a sprint pre!!!
    I'll keep this short because I'm at work and rating lunch.
    WELL?! Don't keep us in suspense! How did it rate?!
    Last edited by west3man; 02/03/2010 at 05:52 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I was at the verizon store yesterday checking out the pre plus and I can confrim that the entire mechanism of the slider just feels different when you slide it open. and they had two displays and none of them had any orea effect.

Also everyone else while sprint pricing maybe a reason to stick with sprint for you and me it is not everyone. He already put in his main description that he is not concerned about the pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    WELL?! Don't keep us in suspense! How did it [b]rate[\b]?!
    Exactly what I was thinking. Come on, don't hold out: how was it? Where? What did you have?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    From what I hear the build quality is better, is this true?
    I stopped in Verizon today to see how the Pre+ compared to my Pre regarding my 'wobble' when it's closed. The Pre+ on display was *not* rock solid. It wobbled only a little less than my 7 month old Pre. I may be one of the lucky ones, as I've seen the bad 'oreo' effect on the Sprint demo phones and mine is nowhere near that bad. Just wanted to let you know though, that the Pre+ is not perfect. And Sprint kills Verizon on pricing.
    I have the Pre on Sprint; husband has Pre + on Verizon.

We both have the same play or an Oreo effect.

I pay $90 a month and he pays $105 -- he doesn't get Verizon Navigation (it would cost him more; he doesn't get V-Cast/TV either.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    First off.. Lunch was good... I meant to say I was "eating" lunch not rating it.. if I had to rate it though I'd give it a 4/5. Potato, broccoli, and cheese soup, a coke, and some chips. Pretty solid lunch. Not as good as ordering out but hey.

Secondly.. I decided that, being the DIYF (Do-It-Yourself-Fearlessly) type of man, I'd try out the super glue trick as noted herre[sic]. I've just returned from the store with a tube of Loctite... And a pint of Edy's MAXX Drumstick Ice Cream.. We'll see how well this works.. and tastes..

I'll be working on this glue in between working on my schoolwork. By the time I'm finished studying for professional communications, I'll most likely have my Pre's slider tighter than a... well. It'll be really tight and oreo free.

Thanks to all how helped me step back from that ledge.. the one that led to a ledge about 3 feet below it (VZW)..
    Yeah, a Sprint Pre and Ice Cream beats a Verizon Pre Plus (without Ice Cream) any day!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast