Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yeah, a Sprint Pre and Ice Cream beats a Verizon Pre Plus (without Ice Cream) any day!
    Thanks. I will not be getting rid of my Sprint service.. I was just a little.. okay lota cranky..

The Super Glue method was a complete fail though. No damage done, but it didn't fix anything.. I'm going to call Sprint now and see what they can do for me. I suppose my only option would be to keep getting it replaced until I get one that's not defective! As long as Sprint has my back on this (and I'm sure they will) then all will fine.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with Sprint.. They couldn't help me over the phone and suggested I go to their store to get the issue resolved. I've been to the store.. numerous times..

Now I'm back to cranky. Not cranky enough to justify canceling my Sprint service and getting the same phone on another network though..

I'll eventually get around to going to the Sprint store and complaining about this...
    Sounds like a good way to avoid studying! (Yep,I'm the pot calling the kettle black!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I had problems with older Pres as well. Sprint's newer models are nothing like the old ones. My Pre is one of the newer ones. It doesn't even feel like the same phone. Verizons feels just the same. When, you go to Sprint they are giving you a refurb. (someone elses headache) The last time I changed my Pre, I demanded a brand new Pre. They gave it to me. Best Pre of all 6 I've owned! Never had a problem. (knock on wood) Under the model name on my profile, it even shows a different name then all the others.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You thinks that a good excuse for not studying? I'm majoring in game and simulation programming.. when I play video games instead of studying I just tell myself I'm 'studying my major'...

Of all my 4 Pre's, I'm pretty sure I've had somewhat of an oreo effect in all of them. This 4th Pre was pretty solid until recently.

I'm sure Sprint will replace it for me, if not I could look into getting a case or I'll just tough it out until a new Palm device comes out on Sprint. As for when I'm going to get it swapped out.. who knows.. I have a busy week at work.. new tattoo on Saturday.. and a not one but two presentations due by Sunday.. I need more than 24 hours in a day..
    if you can handle the ugliness a few people say the new sprint hard case with its integrated slider helps with the oreo YMMV
    I've seen the slider rails inside the Pre+ and it's just the same as the original Pre. So, while the "build quality" may be better on the Pre+, I don't think it's going to be any better than on the later Pre's on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    I had problems with older Pres as well. Sprint's newer models are nothing like the old ones. My Pre is one of the newer ones. It doesn't even feel like the same phone. Verizons feels just the same. When, you go to Sprint they are giving you a refurb. (someone elses headache) The last time I changed my Pre, I demanded a brand new Pre. They gave it to me. Best Pre of all 6 I've owned! Never had a problem. (knock on wood) Under the model name on my profile, it even shows a different name then all the others.
    I also had problems with refurbs and asked (I have a good relationship with the repair guys) if this time I could have a brand new one. Got one with a 12/22/09 build date and it's been great. It does have a less than .5mm oreo on the bottom, but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't bother me...no gaps, no hardware issues. It's good. YMMV.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm not saying you're wrong jtfolden, but those are some really tiny parts that make up the slider. From what I could see, if they moved the tab on the right side over a mere fraction of an inch, that could alleviate some of the oreo issues. It's also possible they moved it in closer AND made adjustments to some of the materials that make up the slider.. maybe something that creates less fraction ergo allowing a smooth slide. These are just some ideas though.. the slider very well could be the same and what we're seeing is just a placebo effect.

In other news, I think my oreo issues may be history. Luckily I'm wearing my MacGeyvor boxers today. I took a Giant Eagle receipt (large grocery store for those who don't know), a pair of scissors, Loctite, two small screw drivers, and two episodes of House, and a 24oz Coke with a glass full of ice and managed to fix it.

Here's what I did...

I cut a SUPER DUPER small piece of the receipt (receipt paper works nice because it's thin.. rolling papers may work as well as long as you're not smoking it). The size of the paper was the width the black part of the slider itself! The length was only about 2mm.

I then used one of the tiny flat head screwdrivers to apply a lite serving of Loctite (anaerobic 'super' glue).

Next I watch ONE episode of House whilst sipping on an icy cold Coca-Cola (no Pepsi please..). After the episode and sugary goodness was over, I realized the Loctite was anaerobic. In other words, it 'cures' in the absence of air.

I took the INCREDIBLY TINY piece of SUPER THIN receipt paper and used both the small screw drivers to manuever it into the small puddle of Loctite on the slider.

Once in place, I ran the screwdriver over top the paper to ensure it was 'suffocating' the loctite, ergo curing it.

Next step.. I left the phone in the OPEN position, sipped the rest of my Coke, and watched the other episode of House (the one where House "kills" that cancer researcher but he really only put him in a coma to run more tests and Dr.Cameron was like "OMG.. YOU'RE A JERK HOUSE!" But you could tell she was like, totally into him.)

One the episode came to it's House-esque conclusion, I brushed my teeth and rinsed my mouth. Then proceeded to slide the phone shut and...

SUCCESS! A tight slider! I'm leaving the phone in the open position over night to allow the loctite to fully cure. So far, it feels really good. And on top of that I see Gameloft just released a GTA clone for the Pre! Interesting...

Thanks for the advice everyone.. you freed up some time for me this weekend used for studying my major.. err.. doing those projects I have due.. and spared the embarrassment and shame of leaving on wireless company for another to get the same phone.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I also had problems with refurbs and asked (I have a good relationship with the repair guys) if this time I could have a brand new one. Got one with a 12/22/09 build date and it's been great. It does have a less than .5mm oreo on the bottom, but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't bother me...no gaps, no hardware issues. It's good. YMMV.
    Out of the 4 Pre's I've owned, 3 were brand new.. You don't even wanna know what I had to do to get em! No j/k..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    Out of the 4 Pre's I've owned, 3 were brand new.. You don't even wanna know what I had to do to get em! No j/k..
    Prolly not...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I'll keep this short because I'm at work and rating lunch.

I'm on Pre #4 and it has a bad oreo effect all the sudden. I'm going to take it in today and request a replacement. One that works... If not I'll go to VZW and get the Pre+.

From what I hear the build quality is better, is this true? Is it worth it to switch considering I'm fed up with poor build quality (I have the money to switch)

I just want to hear some opinions, flames, people who did, people who are also considering it, etc. Thanks!
    Read here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ghlight=slider
    if you're on Sprint, don't come to Verizon! Not worth the price difference and there's nothing really so great about Verizon that's worth switching over for - customer service sucks, etc etc.

the Pre Plus is plagued with the same build issues. my Pre+ is having hardware issues so I'm getting a replacement soon, I say stick it out with Sprint and try getting replacements until your Pre is solid.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Solid advice! I guess I can't win regardless. This paper and super glue trick is working out alright so I'll be sticking with this and Sprint!
    im thinkin about getting the pre plus too, i was doing some research on it, i like the memory and touchstone. i came across this article that said verizon was going to pitch it as a girl's phone in their upcomming commercials, isnt that stupid
    Again, Pre is still riddled with hardware issues such as the infamous slider hinge. If you guys are all okay with having to get your Pre swapped out several times through out the life of owning the phone, go right ahead.

Pixi doesn't stack up to the Pre as far as specs and what it offers hardware wise. but as far as a sturdy phone is concerned, the Pixi gets 5 stars
    Somebody with money or means seriously needs to bisect a Verizon Pre into halves and let us know what (if anything) they did to improve the slider.
    Solid advice! I guess I can't win regardless. This paper and super glue trick is working out alright so I'll be sticking with this and Sprint!
    Just curious... if this phone fails, do you think your mod may stop Sprint from replacing it? I am not sure how stringent Sprint is as I use Best Buy BTI, not Sprint TEP.
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Just curious... if this phone fails, do you think your mod may stop Sprint from replacing it? I am not sure how stringent Sprint is as I use Best Buy BTI, not Sprint TEP.
    I think Sprint would actually want some examples of working slider fixes.
    +1 for McGyver fixes

PS: Nice choice of major Tcub!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I think Sprint would actually want some examples of working slider fixes.
    +1 for McGyver fixes

PS: Nice choice of major Tcub!
    lol, yeah they should take notes! The Paper and Super Glue trick is nice because should anything go wrong, I can simply scrap up the paper and glue leaving minimal residue. When I posted the steps I took, I actually left out the three or four failed attempts (too much paper, wrong placement, etc). Using a flat blade exacto knife, you should have no issues removing all or most of the glue, paper, and any remaining residue.

Sudoer: Thanks! It's been a life long passion!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12