1.    #1  
    I have been on these forums since the Pre was released last year. I really like the phone. I have had my Pre since release day last year (yes I was one of those guys standing outside of my Sprint Store on a cold Saturday morning)

I have been hearing about the Pre being slow opening up applications. Has anyone noticed what I would like to call the "Help Swipe." Its when you go to open an application. The bottom menu (quick menu) disappears, meaning the app is getting ready to come unto the screen. When there is a lag in this process I perform what I would like to call the "Help Swipe," its just a swipe up like you are trying to bring up the main menu, but it infact brings up the intended app you were waiting on. When you do this, it speeds the process dramatically. You just don't have to sit there and wait for it to load, which I know can be pretty aggravating. I'm surprised that no one has said anything about this since I have been reading, or maybe I missed it. But this is pretty huge for people like me, who hate to wait! It seemed pretty natural to me, which is why I thought it would have been talked about by now.

Give it a try and let me know what you think, or any other suggestions. I do it for all applications.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I know what your talking about. I've done it many times (especially when i opened up an app by accident) However, I dont know if it really "opens" the app any faster. I feel that it just brings up the card, but you still have to wait for the actual app to load. You end up seeing a "blank card" with the loading circle. (just my thoughts)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I use this only when I tapped on the wrong icon and don't want to wait for the app to fully load. I'll swipe up, and swipe again to close the not fully loaded app. Helps me out a lot in this way.
    Well your in luck. In 1.4 it'll do that for you automatically.
    Sounds sorta like moving the mouse around while waiting for something on your PC to load. Does it help? Of course not, but it keeps you occupied...
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well your in luck. In 1.4 it'll do that for you automatically.
    is this a joke? I dont get it?
    I use this when opening several apps at once. It flips up a white card that continues to load, and I can go click on other icons.
    Wow. I just tried it and it eliminates most lag except for that which is tied to the network (ie-downloading a graphics heavy webpage). Cool. thanks for the tip.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver27 View Post
    Wow. I just tried it and it eliminates most lag except for that which is tied to the network (ie-downloading a graphics heavy webpage). Cool. thanks for the tip.
    what app did you test with?
    I tried a bunch of them to make sure it wasn't a fluke:
    Messaging, Music, Calendar, Memos, Tasks and even E-Mail was much snappier.

For a lot of them, this trick drops the lag from 3-5 seconds down to 1 or 2.
    Christa
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    is this a joke? I dont get it?
    No, go check out any of the videos with 1.4, as soon as you open an app it opens it in card view then when it's done loading brings it up to full view.

I believe it's in this one (my company's roaming blocks suddenly hit me however so I can't double check)

Edit:
    yep, just checked, first seconds shows it happening.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i dont know... it seems to just bring up the card before its loaded. (then i wait for it to load) If i dont use the "help swipe" the card comes up completely loaded already. I dont see the actual time difference. (hard to tell though when im measuring half seconds)
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    No, go check out any of the videos with 1.4, as soon as you open an app it opens it in card view then when it's done loading brings it up to full view.

I believe it's in this one (my company's roaming blocks suddenly hit me however so I can't double check)

OH YEA.. i see what you mean now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver27 View Post
    I tried a bunch of them to make sure it wasn't a fluke:
    Messaging, Music, Calendar, Memos, Tasks and even E-Mail was much snappier.

For a lot of them, this trick drops the lag from 3-5 seconds down to 1 or 2.
    How did you try this, did you;
    open an app and time it, close it
    then open it, swipe up and time it again.
    If so, that's not a fair way of timing it. Doesn't it already have it in the memory once you open it the first time. I know for me apps open faster the second time I open them.
    Last edited by lopezpm; 02/03/2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    How did you try this, did you;
    open an app and time it, close it
    then open it, swipe up and time it again.
    If so, that's not a fair way of timing it. Doesn't it already have it in the memory once you open it the first time. I know for me apps open faster the second time I open them.
    You have a point. A better test would be to restart between loads.

But there is a 'perceived' load time (something Apple is good at) while actual load times may be the same or slower because of more activity (Apple's products tend to be on the slower actual side)
    You have a point. A better test would be to restart between loads.

But there is a 'perceived' load time (something Apple is good at) while actual load times may be the same or slower because of more activity (Apple's products tend to be on the slower actual side)
    These are both good points. My very first try was with Memos (which I hadn't yet opened today) using the "help swipe" technique. Then I tried it without. Help swipe seemed faster but it could always be the placebo effect.

For each try, I counted the seconds from the time the Quick Launch bar disappeared until the card was visible. And in general I help swiped first and loaded from Launcher second.
    Christa