1.    #1  
    I have just doctored my pre and have found a few strange happenings, I wanted to write this a) because I wondered if anybody else had had these troubles and b) so that if anyone comes across this in the future, you know you're not alone.
    1. Preware was still in the launcher although it wouldn't run, had to delete it from phone and re-install with WOSQI as package manager seemed not to be there any more.

2. After getting preware to work, I went to find my patches to re-install. Not showing up in any feeds. Checked with WOSQI and found that the phone thought that all my patches were already installed. Installed ? maybe, but certainly not applied. Removed all with WOSQI and am currently re-installing.

3. When checking feeds in preware I found that the feeds I had previously turned off were still there as turned off but duplicates had been created of these previously turned off feeds.

This is still a work in progress as I try to get my phone back to it's previous state. I will be interested in any comments as to why this happened, I can only assume that the palm profile holds more information than I thought.

I will update here if I find out anymore as I go along.
    Last edited by stueybuk; 02/03/2010 at 05:46 AM.
  2.    #2  
    As noted in 2) above, I can confirm that after removing all patches with WOSQI I am now able to re-install with Preware.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Yeah.. This happened to me as well. I assume its from Doctoring a Pre with an older firmware version then updating. Try doctoring again with the newest version of webOS Doctor.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4.    #4  
    Unfortunately not Tcub, I used the latest O2 UK doctor for 1.3.5.2 any other ideas ?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    hmm darn. I'd also like to know what caused this. Anyone else?
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    hmm darn. I'd also like to know what caused this. Anyone else?
    I am wondering whether it is anything to do with the way the new patch updates have been made so you don't need to install them before an OTA upgrade.
    it seems more and more information is kept in the palm cloud... Happend to me aswell
  8.    #8  
    Surely Palm should state somewhere which information is being backed up through some sort of privacy laws.
  9.    #9  
    Just connected my phone in usb mode and all my files are still there which in the webos doctor instructions it says it will wipe. There is a file in there called .webosinternals.patches.packages, could this be where the information is coming from ?
  10.    #10  
    Yep, just opened the file in notepad and it does indeed list my installed packages or obiously after doctoring the packages I did have installed. When I have time I will doctor again and delete this file first to confirm this theory.
    1.3.5. Doctor doesn't touch the USB portion anymore and since the apps/patches are stored on the usb drive you would have to either doctor down to version 1.2.1 to get a clean drive or go in manually and remove the patches with webos quickinstall.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Mamouton, I was just coming to that realisation.
    This happens because WebOS doctor does not erase the /media partition where both your USB drive exists on the Pre as well as your applications are stored - including preware. Also preware stores what it thinks is installed on the device, including all patches.

I do not know how the new aupt patch system is supposed to handle a visit to the doctor. The way that it handles it after a new version is to bump the patch version number. Then Preware tries to update all installed patches and just reapplies them.

Prior to aupt you had to remove all patches prior to doing a doctor. If you didn't then to fix preware you had to go into Device Info and do a Full Erase which erases the /media partition. This might be what you have to do. If so make sure to backup whatever you want from your USB folder first.

One thing you might try is deleting preware off the device & reinstalling. That might also delete prewares db holding everything that's installed. It also might not do that & you may be stuck having to do the full erase.

Good luck.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks mu7efcer, just to confirm though, I did delete and re-install Preware but that did not delete the db.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    1.3.5. Doctor doesn't touch the USB portion anymore and since the apps/patches are stored on the usb drive you would have to either doctor down to version 1.2.1 to get a clean drive or go in manually and remove the patches with webos quickinstall.
    So this raises an interesting question. How do you completely doctor your phone?

I understand that you could doctor it down to 1.2.1 and let the update thing happen, but that is kind of a pain. Let's say I have the doctor for 1.3.5.1 and I would like to "bare metal" install my phone, how would I completely wipe the /media partition before doctoring?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just posted this in another thread. After having some google app syncing issues I switched to exchange this morning at 7am. It is now 10 am and I am at 97%. I set it to get mail as it arrives, I deleted my google calendar and contacts and I am using just exchange. I have only received 2 emails. Wifi is on. So far my battery life is much, much better.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So this raises an interesting question. How do you completely doctor your phone?

I understand that you could doctor it down to 1.2.1 and let the update thing happen, but that is kind of a pain. Let's say I have the doctor for 1.3.5.1 and I would like to "bare metal" install my phone, how would I completely wipe the /media partition before doctoring?
    The only thing I can think of is backing up and clearing your usb partition first, then doctoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by stueybuk View Post
    The only thing I can think of is backing up and clearing your usb partition first, then doctoring.
    The way that I get back to *complete* factory default is:
    1. Run Full Erase from Device Info - this will clear /media. However, this will *not* necessarily give you the stock files for every other partition. It will restore what it *think* are the default files. If you've applied a theme, this may not put back the default theme. I think the same goes for patches.
    2. Run WebOS doctor. This will restore everything in all partitions except /media

The order matters a little bit. If you do it in the order listed above, then your palm profile after you run the doctor will re-download all of the apps that you have installed. If you do it in the reverse order, then when you're done, none of the apps in your palm profile will be installed.

In both cases, you will still get back a lot of settings that are stored in your palm profile:
    • The list of synergy accounts that you have configured
    • The order of applications in your launcher
    • Tasks
    • Memos

There may be others that I can't remember of the top of my head.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I've recently run into the problem of apps no longer downloading from the App Catalog after a failed attempt to download Slacker Radio. Up until 2 days ago everything was running fine. I tried several resets, uninstalling/reinstalling Preware & Pkg Mgr Svc, clearing out the browser's cache/history and running EMH, running WebOS Repair all to no avail. Downloads never make any progress. Also there's a blank bar at the top on the "MyApplications" screen which I believe is a remnant of a failed download attempt that never goes away even after resets.

Will WebOS doctor likely take care of this problem or do I need to do a full wipe? Thanks.