Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yep, shouldn't be a problem
    Yep, I used the earlier MyTether with O2 UK without major problems, but, I now find the Mobile Hotspot app (from Palm Pre Plus and available online if you search) works just as well if you install Free Tether and turn on IP Forwarding. In fact, I've found it works better as there are no issues with patching and unpatching when you want to use it so I have now removed MyTether.

I've got nothing against the developer of MyTether, it's just that MHS works more reliably. I donated for MyTether before I even got my Pre back in October and I have no regrets, this kind of work needs our support. I have yet to be in a situation where I need to use tethering so I clearly wouldn't want to be paying O2 a monthly fee for it but it is nice to know it is there if I ever do need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Yep, I used the earlier MyTether with O2 UK without major problems, but, I now find the Mobile Hotspot app (from Palm Pre Plus and available online if you search) works just as well if you install Free Tether and turn on IP Forwarding.
    If you're running 1.3.5.2 you wont need to install Free Tether and turn on IP Forwarding because IP Forwarding was switched on for 1.3.5.2 to enable the Bluetooth PAN.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Yep, I used the earlier MyTether with O2 UK without major problems, but, I now find the Mobile Hotspot app (from Palm Pre Plus and available online if you search) works just as well if you install Free Tether and turn on IP Forwarding. In fact, I've found it works better as there are no issues with patching and unpatching when you want to use it so I have now removed MyTether.

I've got nothing against the developer of MyTether, it's just that MHS works more reliably. I donated for MyTether before I even got my Pre back in October and I have no regrets, this kind of work needs our support. I have yet to be in a situation where I need to use tethering so I clearly wouldn't want to be paying O2 a monthly fee for it but it is nice to know it is there if I ever do need it.
    O2 UK GSM user here. I found Mobile Hotspot app on catalog but it says not available in my country. Presumably you can find it elsewhere online to install directly? I am happy to use this or MyTether (and pay if it works!) as wifi source for my laptop (at least in UK - no extra charge on O2's no-limits data plan right?)
    I believe this screenshot is by a user using O2

My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    I believe this screenshot is by a user using O2

Nope :-) It's german "Base" - but I also think that tethering with o2 Uk will be a problem. And I know some guys in the german forums that tether with MyTether (actually the 1.x version) and o2 Germany without problems. But in fact 2.1.x is much more comfortable, I love the Wifi-tethering without having the original MHS on my phone, as I'm not really sure if copying MHS is legal (apparently I think it's not).
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    My Tether is not necessary on the UK firmware, it should just do it anyway.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    My Tether is not necessary on the UK firmware, it should just do it anyway.
    That's correct for bluetooth, probably für USB with an USBNet-Patch but not for WiFi-tethering.
    hmmm
    i cant imagine 02 letting users get away with using the tethering software without coughing up some extra cash....
    Could someone clarify whether we can use tethering/MHS without being charged extra by O2? And up to what limit in GB?
    Anybody tried connecting the Pre to a laptop on O2 via bluetooth??
    Im trying to connect to my Samsung NC10 netbook with no joy, they can see each other, i click pair on my laptop and enter a passcode, pre pops up with allow connection followed by enter passcode (as entered in netbook) when i do this the laptop sits for ages and then fails to connect?
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Oh version 1.3.5.2 with minimal patches
    Thanks

Sharpcroft
    The MHS doesn't work on o2 without free tether. It just says that tethering is not supported by my plan.

The built in bluetooth tethering gives the same error.

MHS with free tether does work.
    The official stance from o2 is that you can use the data for the handheld device (in this case the Pre) if you are found to be using for tethering, and this can be flagged by usage they are within their rights to remove the unlimited data from your plan. The best advice I could give would be if you are to use tethering use it sparingly, if there is low useage whilst tehtered you are less likely to pop up on the o2 data radar so to speak.
    try keeping it at a gig a month , or less!
    I had Mobile Hotspot (MHS) working fine but suddenly it has started to give the message in the pic below.

I dont understand whats changed for this message to appear. I haven't installed any new patches or apps so cant understand why MHS no longer works.

Could there have been a time limit on MHS?

Anyone else have this problem?

Gx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have MyTether and I am O2 UK. I have opnly used it once so far, whilst away on a course, just to check my email and the forums etc. It all seems fine. As Peabrain and Markda2000 said, as long as it you keep it reasonable, they shouldn't have a problem. At the end of the day, the have no way to prove your usage as long as it is within realistic amounts.
    Last edited by Ben_K; 04/03/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    I'm having trouble on uk 02 getting mytether to work, i can see the wifi connection on my laptop but it never makes a full connection or enables me to browse the web, anyone got any surggestions?
    At first I had problem getting my tether and MBH to run on my uk o2 pre. Laptop would connect to wifi but never actually load a page. Anyway deleted my tether, MBH free tether and the ip patch reinstalled just my tether and all works fine. Speed wise it aint super fast but I'm happy with that sites load up fairly quick.

cheers
    it should
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast