Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yes that is a more likey possibility that palm will use a 1ghz version of the omap 3440. Omap 4 just sounds too good
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    The OMAP 4 would be nice, but I don't think Palm has taken full advantage of the capabilites of the OMAP 3440 yet. OMAPô 3 Processors - OMAP3440
    I believe the Pre was amongst the first phones to have it and if Palm rushes out another device with a bigger engine, imagine what kind of bugs we might be looking at then.
    I'd rather they use the experience garnered from this engine, build on it and get it running smoothly like the fruit Phone.
    Just because all of those features are possible on the actual chip doesn't mean they're all present or possible on the Pre. There's more to it than just the SoC used.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    This looks promising. 20M pixel camera? That's crazy. This reminded, me, I need to upgrade my SLR. It is still at 8MP. If I don't, I think my phone would have higher resolution.
    Higher pixel count definitely does NOT equate to higher quality. The sensor will still be the tiny little cameraphone sensor regardless of the number of megapixels, so your SLR will still take much, much better pictures. The cameraphone files will just be really big.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I agree... While 1ghz would be nice, I'm not going to pay to go from 800mhz, to 1ghz..

dual core 1ghz+ would be amazing. Plus 1-2 gigs of ram to be able to multitask a 3d game,browser,and other.. Thanks to he new 800 patch, i'm now satisfied with my phone.. I mainly want software upgrades.
    I'm just not convinced that overclocking a mobile processor is a great idea, and so I would much rather have a 1Ghz processor running stock than a 600Mhz processor running overclocked. Particularly when the new chipset also brings much higher GPU performance, better power management, etc.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just because all of those features are possible on the actual chip doesn't mean they're all present or possible on the Pre. There's more to it than just the SoC used.
    True! And I'm not one of those people drooling over the Evo 4G because of all the bells and whistles. My point was that improving on the operation of the chip you have and perhaps even getting some more out of it in terms of features or not.
    But most importantly, if you gave me my same Pre clocking maybe 600MHz with better hardware around it and webOS running as smoothly and snappy as the fruit phone, I would be quite happy.
    Ok OMAP 4 it is then.
    Last edited by vza33; 03/26/2010 at 04:04 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    OMAP 3640 would be a nice upgrade until OMAP4440 is ready. It'd compete well, if not exceed, the Snapdragon in normal daily tasks and still best it in 3D gaming.
    the 3640 would be very nice...as far as snapdragon goes, does it have dedicated GPU capabilities like OMAPs PowerVR?as for a snapdragon 1Ghz chipset, it doesnt seem that impressive!Also, does OMAP3 or 4 support Multithreading?
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    the 3640 would be very nice...as far as snapdragon goes, does it have dedicated GPU capabilities like OMAPs PowerVR?as for a snapdragon 1Ghz chipset, it doesnt seem that impressive!Also, does OMAP3 or 4 support Multithreading?
    OMAP4 is a dual-core Cortex A9 CPU, that runs out-of-order.

I'd take dual-core over hyperthreading / multithreading any day.

And because it's an out-of-order CPU, it's much more efficient for even a single thread as well. In an in-order CPU like the A8 that the Pre currently uses, even if you only need to basically use the last instruction in the pipeline, you have to go all the way through the pipeline from beginning to end. If one part of it is busy, the whole command just waits for the next part to clear up. An out-of-order CPU can basically go in, do the last instruction, and then do whatever else it needs to do in whatever order is necessary to prevent delay.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Higher pixel count definitely does NOT equate to higher quality. The sensor will still be the tiny little cameraphone sensor regardless of the number of megapixels, so your SLR will still take much, much better pictures. The cameraphone files will just be really big.
    Agreed entirely. I really wish more manufacturers did what Nokia (and I think Sony Ericsson might've on a couple phones too) has done in the past and put some real optics in there, with a nice sized sensor so we can start getting point-and-shoot quality pictures. Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed by what the Pre can do with that small of a sensor and lens, but it doesn't come close to my Canon.
    the palm pre uses a omap 3430
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    the palm pre uses a omap 3430
    You are absolutley right. I stand corrected.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Did anyone else notice how large that Demo/Developer unit was being showed off. Nice processor, but yikes...hopefully that is just the developer unit? Sorli...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Pre 2? Pass.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12