Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Anyone surprised that a woman interprets the opposite of what you are trying to say?
    When I told my wife, she had the exact same reaction as the OP. I would blame women looking to get offended at something before i say the commercial is demeaning. I took it as "moms have it rough, this device will be able to handle how rough moms have it"

A stupid comercial yes, chovanistic or demeaning? Hardly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Maybe Verizon was trying to distance itself from Palm's original creepy girl ads.
    With creepy moms smiling creepy smiles while wearing crazy hairdos?

internalizing what I just wrote/ I think I just realized why I dislike the commercials so much...
  3. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    now you know how the Geico caveman feels
    On a side note...who put the "simma down little lady!" tag on this thread? Hilarious
    I took the ad to mean that finally a phone smart enough to keep up with a busy mom.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Anyone surprised that a woman interprets the opposite of what you are trying to say?
    how true
    I honestly could care less about the ads, but I will be throughly ****ed if my mom gets one. I have to spend a few hours a month trying to explain to her how to use her 5 year old xp computer. God forbid I have to explain another tech device to her.
    commercial is stupid if you ask me... i can't remember the last time the cell phone market was driven by stay home moms. Last time i checked most people who own smartphones are, Younger people and tech savy people. not stay home mothers...

Not that there aren't stay home moms that buy phones but i just don't see that as the big market.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    The most offensive things I find about those ads are the hairstyles. But seriously, I think it's an attempt at a multitasking metaphor with a satirical edge. Perhaps the use of outdated stereotypes was misguided and not everyone may see the poor attempt at the irony that many mothers today are not home all day to create post it charts but we are in fact out in the workforce creating post it charts (note tongue in cheek).

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but after the masculine beast of a phone they call Droid, I like having a phone that does everything I need it to without looking like I'm carrying a paperback in my pocket. And I'm not so peeved about it being marketed to "Moms". We do have busy lives that require organizing many categories of information.

We can have pointless OS and hardware debates all day and never come to an agreement. Each has its positives and negatives and regardless of whether your chromosomes end in X or Y you should just get the phone you like best that suits your needs.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I honestly could care less about the ads, but I will be throughly ****ed if my mom gets one. I have to spend a few hours a month trying to explain to her how to use her 5 year old xp computer. God forbid I have to explain another tech device to her.
    I am so with you here. If I hear the words "you have to teach me how to (insert thing I've already taught her 5 times over)" one more time I just might drop kick her computer across the front lawn.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Girl View Post
    So much for the business & accounting degrees I earned & the 20+ years as a Controller/MIS Director....I guess when I popped those 2 kids out....I just became stupid!
    And apparently, you also lost the ability to think rationally. All that education... not a lick of common sense.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    "Smart enough for mom". In my opinion it implies that moms ARE smart and this is one phone that is smart enough to keep up with them. Did you really make some bs thread because you can't read?
    Did anyone else notice how RavenGirl starts this bs thread and hasn't said anything since? I guess I'd feel like an *** too if I was her.
    I don't think the ads are meant to imply anything bad about moms (as many have said, my understanding was the opposite). However, they certainly are not going to help me convince my young, mostly male friends that the Pre is cooler than the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    commercial is stupid if you ask me... i can't remember the last time the cell phone market was driven by stay home moms. Last time i checked most people who own smartphones are, Younger people and tech savy people. not stay home mothers...

Not that there aren't stay home moms that buy phones but i just don't see that as the big market.
    And before the wii, games weren't for mom. Now guess who's laughing all the way to the bank? The number of Wii Fit sold is just amazing.
    List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Top 20 console games of all time

The 20 best-selling console/handheld games, not originally bundled.
    1. Wii Play (Wii – 26.71 million)[69]
    2. Wii Fit (Wii – 22.56 million)[69]
    3. Nintendogs (DS – 22.27 million, all five versions combined)[70]
    4. New Super Mario Bros. (DS – 21.39 million)[69]
    5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii – 21.22 million)[69]
    6. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy – 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan,[45] 9.85 million in US)[19]
    7. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS – 18.59 million)[69]
    8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES – 18 million)[106]
    9. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS – 17.39 million)[71]
    10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 17.33 million)[114]
    11. Mario Kart DS (DS – 17.28 million)[69]
    12. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 – 14.89 million shipped)[103]
    13. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color – 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US,[19] 6.91 million in Japan)[45]
    14. Super Mario Land (Game Boy – 14 million)[106]
    15. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS – 13.71 million)[70]
    16. Wii Sports Resort (Wii – 13.58 million)[69]
    17. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA – 13 million)[78]
    18. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA – 11.82 million)[71]
    19. Super Mario 64 (N64 – 11 million)[106]
    20. Gran Turismo (PS1 – 10.85 million shipped)[103][104]
    I just watched the commercial on youtube and I didn't get that impression at all. In fact, you wrote "Smart enough for mom", but it doesn't say that, it says "smart enough to keep up with mom"... that's actually a compliment to moms....

UPDATE: OK, I see what you're saying. I just saw the other Valentine commercial and it has written down "smart enough for mom", but she actually does say "smart enough to keep up with mom" in that one too... probably a typo on Verizon's part.....
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Can we assume that this June the Pre will be smart enough to keep up with dad?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcinnamon View Post
    Can we assume that this June the Pre will be smart enough to keep up with dad?
    No, I think it will be entertaining enough for dad with epic 3D games!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Girl View Post
    So what...I am supposed to think Verizon's new ad campaign for the Pre & Pixi is great marketing...because I'm a mom & I guess "not smart"!

So much for the business & accounting degrees I earned & the 20+ years as a Controller/MIS Director....I guess when I popped those 2 kids out....I just became stupid!
    It is a just a teeny tiny bit ironic that someone rants about being offended by being called stupid, when, in fact, they were being told that no previous phone was smart enough to keep up. Stay away from sharp objects, mom!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123