Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    barefoot, pregnant and rocking the pre..
    yup, just confirmed... heard a commercial on TV for the Pre Plus and it said something like "smart enough to keep up with mom". That doesn't seem insulting at all when you hear it like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Last edited by chud311; 02/03/2010 at 01:34 AM.
    It is a little big there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It is a little big there.....
    Thanks! but i dont swing that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Thanks! but i dont swing that way.

lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    makes the pre look like its made for girls
    @Raven Girl. Stretching things to find a feminist insult in that, I'd say. Unless you think that Verizon is saying that the Pre is a not so smartphone. Don't think so!
    Honestly, I had to watch the ad a few times to figure out the message. The wording could have been better and they rushed right through it.

The "smart" threw me off a bit. Despite being called "smartphones" you usually don't describe phones as "smart". Then you go into sort of a double-take, like, what? "Smart" enough for mom? What does that even mean? And then you have to read it again trying to figure out if there's some kind of double-meaning.

Maybe that's what Verizon was aiming for.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think you're taking it exactly the opposite of how it was intended. They're saying that moms are so busy that keeping up with them needs a very smart device, not implying what you're saying.
    My initial reaction to both your (Raven Girl) post and the commercials. Lighten up.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Although I agree that the OP may have misunderstood, in general I think the new "smart enough for mom" ads are dumb and a little insulting, however you look at it. Hopefully this isn't the last set of commercials V is going to bust out for the palm phones. Besides the sheer single fact alone that they seem to create too much facepalmming.
    I don't see any insult at all - they are clearly saying that moms have to integrate multiple priorities and juggle everyone else's schedules. I think most moms would agree with that assessment.

If anything, they're saying that the phone has to be smarter than Dad's.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Girl View Post
    So what...I am supposed to think Verizon's new ad campaign for the Pre & Pixi is great marketing...because I'm a mom & I guess "not smart"!

So much for the business & accounting degrees I earned & the 20+ years as a Controller/MIS Director....I guess when I popped those 2 kids out....I just became stupid!

Sorry bout the rant.....just received an email from Verizon and at first....when I saw the subject "Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus, now on Verizon Wireless", I thought hey "that's great....Finally advertising the Pre!".

Then I opened it up & the tagline is The 3G smartphone...Smart enough for a mom! I know I had seen the video shown on the homepage a few days ago, but to see it in writing...well what a great marketing angle they went for!

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but Valentines Day in less then 2 weeks away... who'd you think they were going to advertise to.... The message I get, as both a father and husband is; hey Hubbies get off your duff and get your wife a Pre Plus and to mom's... the realization that it could help me with my busy schedule....
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Anyone surprised that a woman interprets the opposite of what you are trying to say?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    And to think little ol' me never heard of a facepalm before!

*facepalm*

Consider me educated!
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Maybe Verizon was trying to distance itself from Palm's original creepy girl ads.
    It's just targeted advertising... Would you rather it say "Smart enough for everybody"?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast