1.    #1  
    or are there this many, and I dont want to be rude, but clumsy people with electronic devices out there. I have seen stories from people on here that drop their phones daily, ripping cords, that are on their 7th pre's, etc. I mean pretty much everything except for a missile attack on their pre. This is a $750.00 retail device, do you treat all of your electronics like this, or just careless and clumsy with your phones. I have had laptops since the the year the came out, and have never dropped mine, i have had digi-cams from the first year they came out and have never dropped one, and I may have dropped a phone once or twice in many many years, but some of the abuse i've seen peoples phones go through on this forum just makes me cringe. I'm not saying accidents don't happen, and I know this phone can be slippery, but I mean comeon it's not a basketball. Maybe I'm just seeing a lot of horror stories but is this the norm for people?
    it's called insurance, takes the whole having to care for the thing out of the picture...
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I agree with OP. I have had many electronics over the years and have rarely dropped stuff. I think it mainly has to do with the way people treat stuff. I see people who fidget with their phone throwing it up in the air and doing silly things with it. When they eventually drop it(which most of the time happens) they flip out. It really is silly.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    it's called insurance, takes the whole having to care for the thing out of the picture...
    lol i have the insurance but some of the stuff ive read is just like wow.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    I agree with OP. I have had many electronics over the years and have rarely dropped stuff. I think it mainly has to do with the way people treat stuff. I see people who fidget with their phone throwing it up in the air and doing silly things with it. When they eventually drop it(which most of the time happens) they flip out. It really is silly.
    I always try to treat my stuff well, and I know crap happens, but some stuff is like ***. It makes me not wanna let people use my phone to make a call lol
    iRobot, let's hope you didn't just jinx your luck ;-)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    iRobot, let's hope you didn't just jinx your luck ;-)
    just dropped it lol
    walk through your local mall and take note of how many overweight, disheveled, unkempt, just all around nasty people are walking around. that's the majority of the general public. do you really think people who have that little regard for themselves or even their basic appearance will take care of their devices?

it's an ignorant throwaway society of people who demand instant gratification and who do not want to be responsible for anything.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    walk through your local mall and take note of how many overweight, disheveled, unkempt, just all around nasty people are walking around. that's the majority of the general public. do you really think people who have that little regard for themselves or even their basic appearance will take care of their devices?

it's an ignorant throwaway society of people who demand instant gratification and who do not want to be responsible for anything.
    very sad but true. like someone said early about people throwing their devices in the air like a ball, it makes me cringe.
    Wow...elitist much? The vast majority of busted phones I've seen on this forum are accidents. Slipping out of a pocket, fumbled out of a hand, bumped off a counter or table. I was answering my phone and went to open my slider and it just slipped from my hand. Landed just right on the tile floor and cracked the screen.

Personally, I am a clumsy type person. May sound ridiculous but its just my nature. Has nothing to do with disrespecting myself or my devices. I am just prone to dropping things, bumping things whatever.

Some other people have a natural carefulness to them. They don't drop things often, they don't drip spaghetti sauce on their shirt. It's like the difference between cats and dogs. Cats are agile and can walk around obstacles, part of their nature. Dogs don't have a natural agility. People can fall into either one of those camps or anywhere in between. Saying that its a problem with society in general is a bit short sighted and silly.

Before someone says "if that's the case you shouldn't own a $750 device," that truly is what insurance is for. I am not going to play catch, table football or bobbing for Pres, but I will (and did) have accidents.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I used to be the lead tech at a service repair center for sprint/nextel. And I'll just say 75% of my customers where repeats.... I could put a new screen on or give them a new phone and they would still find ways to break them. I find some people are just prone to breaking things some out of carelessness and others seem to just have electronics break when they touch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post

Sadly true. Thankfully not all, but certainly many.
    I dropped my Treo quite a few times (and got it wet) to the point where it barely worked. I'm trying to be quite a bit more careful with my Pre.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    or are there this many, and I dont want to be rude, but clumsy people with electronic devices out there. I have seen stories from people on here that drop their phones daily, ripping cords, that are on their 7th pre's, etc. I mean pretty much everything except for a missile attack on their pre. This is a $750.00 retail device, do you treat all of your electronics like this, or just careless and clumsy with your phones. I have had laptops since the the year the came out, and have never dropped mine, i have had digi-cams from the first year they came out and have never dropped one, and I may have dropped a phone once or twice in many many years, but some of the abuse i've seen peoples phones go through on this forum just makes me cringe. I'm not saying accidents don't happen, and I know this phone can be slippery, but I mean comeon it's not a basketball. Maybe I'm just seeing a lot of horror stories but is this the norm for people?
    its not the norm. people who have good devices dont post anything, but the few who like you said are clumsy do post... a lot.
    I think it's a combination of several factors:

1. The Pre is delicate:

There's no such thing as a raggedy Pre, any sort of damage renders it useless. Not to say it's more delicate than other phones of it's ilk, but people just can't get away with drops and bumps that you probably could with 95% of the other phones out there.

2. Sprint won't/can't repair minor damage:

The power button failing is grounds for replacing the whole unit. Seems strange that an external moving part can't be simply repaired, but it is what it is. Although apparently some have had it repaired, it seems the norm that they just swap the phone.

3. The Pre's form factor makes it downright droppable:

The relative size and the smooth, rounded lines make it prone to fall out of hands, pockets, bags, and purses. This can also go towards people being more careful, but I have to think a big honking phone with hard lines like the Droid are less likely to slip out a front pocket when getting out of the car.

4. The Pre had build issues out of the box:

I think we all know what the known issues are/were, no need to rehash that.

5. People aren't careful enough:

This goes without saying. But dropping the phone in the toilet, the dishwater, tonight's dinner, or whatever is your own fault.

6. Accidents happen:

Sometimes we're just unlucky and lightning strikes your phone.

Factor in all that along with the myriad of capabilities of the phone, people are going to be handling their Pre's much more than others and that will subsequently lead to more accidents.
    Also, the Pre looks / feels like an expensive work of art...just the kinda thing you never want to drop...so of course you do... My wife's fell outa her purse while she was getting into her car. I found it on the driveway, face down...with tire marks on the rubber back!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Wow...elitist much? The vast majority of busted phones I've seen on this forum are accidents. Slipping out of a pocket, fumbled out of a hand, bumped off a counter or table. I was answering my phone and went to open my slider and it just slipped from my hand. Landed just right on the tile floor and cracked the screen.

Personally, I am a clumsy type person. May sound ridiculous but its just my nature. Has nothing to do with disrespecting myself or my devices. I am just prone to dropping things, bumping things whatever.

Some other people have a natural carefulness to them. They don't drop things often, they don't drip spaghetti sauce on their shirt. It's like the difference between cats and dogs. Cats are agile and can walk around obstacles, part of their nature. Dogs don't have a natural agility. People can fall into either one of those camps or anywhere in between. Saying that its a problem with society in general is a bit short sighted and silly.

Before someone says "if that's the case you shouldn't own a $750 device," that truly is what insurance is for. I am not going to play catch, table football or bobbing for Pres, but I will (and did) have accidents.
    Sorry if that came off as elitist. I'm not by any means, and if it came off that way I apologize. Sometimes it's hard in text to have the correct emotion come off the right way, and I tried to put it as delicately as I could. I was actually at my brothers today and my sister in law dropped her cell right on the floor as we were talking about how her phone wasnt working properly, and my brother and I just looked at each other and laughed. I'm just saying some of the things Ive read on here, seem like people abuse their devices.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    Also, the Pre looks / feels like an expensive work of art...just the kinda thing you never want to drop...so of course you do... My wife's fell outa her purse while she was getting into her car. I found it on the driveway, face down...with tire marks on the rubber back!
    and sorry but that made me laugh irl haha
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onyoursix View Post
    I used to be the lead tech at a service repair center for sprint/nextel. And I'll just say 75% of my customers where repeats.... I could put a new screen on or give them a new phone and they would still find ways to break them. I find some people are just prone to breaking things some out of carelessness and others seem to just have electronics break when they touch them.
    I concur. When I used to work at Verizon, the MAJORITY of the people in the tech line were repeats.

As an aside, their problems weren't always physical damage either; they've managed to screw up the settings on their phone...

Customer: "My phone doesn't make or receive calls/messages, and I'm fed up with paying for your service when your service is ."

Me: "Why is your phone on Airplane Mode?"
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre