Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my phone is patched and themed

86 37.55%
  • Yes, but only patches, no themes

127 55.46%
  • No, and I have good reason not to

12 5.24%
  • No, why should I do it? Where do I start?

4 1.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like most here, am patched up (honestly I would not enjoy using my Pre as much without them and feel Palm is doing the 'general public' a disservice the longer they do not incorporate most of the useful patches here like adding launcher pages etc.) but no themes (not felt the need to plus potential clashes with WebOS updates does not make it attractive).

Am very interested in AUPT and appreciate the testing mentioned above but I think I will remove all patches prior to next update and wait to see if anyone using AUPT reports any problems. If it works on a mass scale, will happily and gladly leave all patches in for the future!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    If it weren't for the patches.. I wouldn't be happy. It's very nice to be able to customize our Pre's.
    We all like to make the "Pre" our own. It is nice to be somewhere and have someone say, "how'd you get your phone to do that, or look like that". Thanks to all who create the themes and patches.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    IMHO without patching the Pre, it just wouldn't be as fun or as efficient of a phone. It's great to tweak it, and mess around with all of the different settings. If you don't like the patch you put on, you can just as easily remove it. The ease of patching/theming was one of the factors is me choosing this phone over the Moment/Hero, etc.
    great posting rod....tiddlekins..you need to do your homework before posting anything!!! These guys work very hard..I read the webos internalz log..I read and see the great communication the webos preware team has, you can't do nothin BUT appreciate them and the extreme hard work!! Why would you think that all of a sudden no testing would be done??? Preware wouldn have gotten this far without any tests...huuuuuuh some ppl just don't think
    Patched
    -
    I was an angry guy, wondering why my phone didn't do basic common sense things. This phone frustrated me for six months. Some days i wanted to smash it to pieces. I thought about getting something else until i patched it, now I'll never go back to a stock pre. NEVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    is it guaranteed to work though?
    There are a lot of things in life that are not guaranteed. But in the nearly 8 months that I have owned my Pre, I've discovered that there are not any problems with this phone that you can't fix -- especially with the help of this community.

I've also discovered that the minor inconvenience of removing patches for upgrades was greatly exceeded by the anxiety of living without those patches while waiting for the upgrade. I'm counting on AUPT to work and, if there are any problems, I know that I can get help here.

Thanks to all the patch developers and maintainers.
  8.    #48  
    The 5x5 icon patch, hide quick launch bar in launcher and landscape email, sms, and pdf options add so much functionality to WebOS. You really may want to reconsider thinking that they are all just silly & pointless.

btw. The Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher patch is not in Preware but I highly recommend it. This is a different patch than the Hide Quick Launch Bar patch that most people are accustomed to. It can be found in the Patches subforum and installed via WOQI.

Last edited by stir fry a lot; 02/03/2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Changed thread title to match poll question and content.

There are no "board members" from Palm here to ask.

Also, this question is specific to Preware. May I ask why you excluded WebOS Quick Install users? It would have been interesting to have allowed them to respond.

One final question. Why did you exclude users who just install Apps with Preware? Apps like My Notification do the same thing as a patch.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, AUPT was tested over 30 times by Eric Gaudet using the 1.3.1 webOS Doctor to completely wipe his own personal Pre, then install 200 patches, then wait for an OTA update to 1.3.5 to complete, then run Update All in Preware. You can imagine how long each of those 30 test cycles takes ...

To say that it has not been tested does an enormous disservice to the hundred hours or more of unpaid volunteer time that Eric and other members of the WebOS Internals team (including probably 10 test cycles by myself and Daniel) put into testing AUPT over 5 weeks before it was released.

-- Rod
    I sincerely apologize. I meant no harm and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the work that you do. I never even considered the testing method that you describe, and therefore my logic was clearly flawed.

I knew that AUPT had come out after the 1.3.5 release and I also knew that 1.4 hadn't been released. So it was easy in my mind to say "Well, we haven't seen how this will actually work out yet." You can tell in my original post (and the one that followed) that I was very impressed with AUPT though because I used the word "promising" twice

If you guys have early access to 1.4 through the Dev Program, and have been testing it with that too, then please consider this to be a double apology.

In conclusion, I'm sorry, and I was wrong, but I wasn't trying to be a troll. Keep up the excellent work!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Patched
    -
    I was an angry guy, wondering why my phone didn't do basic common sense things. This phone frustrated me for six months. Some days i wanted to smash it to pieces. I thought about getting something else until i patched it, now I'll never go back to a stock pre. NEVER.
    Which patches are you using?
    Just patches for me. I haven't thought about themes yet......
    i put lots of patches. I had a theme once upon a time, but it was kinda buggy, and i decided I liked the default look and feel better anyways.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Changed thread title to match poll question and content.

There are no "board members" from Palm here to ask.
    I thought it was appropriate seeing as though this is a message board. I would think anybody with an average IQ could make the connection. I'm sorry if I confused anybody though. I can see where it could be misinterpreted. On another note, I have never been on a forum where so many members take everything so literally. Sometimes I am amazed at some of the responses that some questions receive.

Also, this question is specific to Preware. May I ask why you excluded WebOS Quick Install users? It would have been interesting to have allowed them to respond.
    How is it specific? I asked about modded phones. You're the one that changed my original title to be Preware specific. My poll makes no mention of Preware either. You need WOQI to install Preware right? I happen to use both.

One final question. Why did you exclude users who just install Apps with Preware? Apps like My Notification do the same thing as a patch.
    Again, I never excluded anybody. This was made with the intention of drawing in anybody that was either afraid to install or was unaware of what the Homebrew community was.

- Craig
    -Stir Fry
    Of course. Cant live without the Blinking LED and my PIPBOY Theme. It's too amazing.
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I tried to install Preware this past weekend but was unable to do so. Everyone says how easy it is, but when I was following the directions there was a couple of steps that confused me, mostly because I'm working on a Mac and the instructions are for PC.

Don't get me wrong, everything mostly translated directly. I was able to install WOSQI but it would only let me download homebrew apps, not themes or patches. Then I installed Preware, but the Package Manager Service would not install or Preware would not recognize it, so that didn't work either. After that my Pre got super slow so I did a partial erase and decided to try everything again when I install Windows on my Mac this coming weekend. blah!
    Quote Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post
    The 5x5 icon patch, hide quick launch bar in launcher and landscape email, sms, and pdf options add so much functionality to WebOS. You really may want to reconsider thinking that they are all just silly & pointless.

btw. The Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher patch is not in Preware but I highly recommend it. This is a different patch than the Hide Quick Launch Bar patch that most people are accustomed to. It can be found in the Patches subforum and installed via WOQI.

hmm, i may have to check out that 5x4 patch with no names, looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Which patches are you using?
    LED notifications
    4x4 Icons
    Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher
    Named Launcher Pages
    Add/Delete Launcher Pages
    Landscape Email/SMS
    Virtual Keyboard (hardley used, but ther if i dont want to open slider)
    Close slider to end calls except with headset
    Call duration in call log (Really Palm/sprint???)
    Phone app closes when calls end (doesn't work)
    No auto off while charging (good for when i'm driving and streaming Pandora)
    Unhide Dev mode icon

I think that's all, I'd have to check preware to see if that's all of them
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    PM Me. I'm on a Mac too. I think I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNinjaGo View Post
    I tried to install Preware this past weekend but was unable to do so. Everyone says how easy it is, but when I was following the directions there was a couple of steps that confused me, mostly because I'm working on a Mac and the instructions are for PC.
    Wow, over 92% of us use patches/themes, ok other people, time to take a walk on the wild side. I have been using patches now for 4 months, only 1 little glitch with updating a patch with AUPT update, and was quickly solved with the help from this forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast